The Strike Witches series is also available in the following languages:
Strike Witches takes place in a world similar to Earth, but where magic exists. Magic abilities appear almost exclusively among young women, and usually disappears with age. However, these abilities are generally limited to raising a simple protective magic field, or moving objects slightly at a distance, or for some, flying on a broom. Then, in the 16th and 17 centuries, humanity entered into an age of discovery, highlighted by the Britannian witch Jamie Watt's invention of the magic engine, a steam-powered mechanical device which could boost a witch's natural magic powers several times over, which could then be used to drive all types of machinery. The magic engine was soon put to use in all forms of industry and transport, increasing production to levels previously thought impossible.
However, together with this huge increase in magic usage, sightings of the Neuroi, enigmatic lifeforms which had been spotted on scarce occasions for centuries, also began to increase exponentially. Appearing in countries all over the world, the Neuroi spread a noxious miasma, putrefying the land and consuming all types of metals, and they began encroaching on human territory. Normal soldiers could do nothing against that miasma, and humanity was on its last legs, with no choice but to retreat time and time again. It was then that it was discovered that a witch's protective field could block the miasma, and with the power of a magic engine, witches joined the battlefield. With the ability to easily wield weapons which would normally be far too heavy, imbue their attacks with magic, fly through the air freely, and block enemy attacks with magic fields, witches began to turn the tide against the Neuroi invasion. These witches, together with the Striker Units they wore, were known as "Strike Witches".
In 1939, as the European mainland faced the crisis of a Neuroi invasion of unprecedented scale, Imperial Army and Navy Witches from the far off Fuso Empire were sent to the battlefield as volunteer soldiers. One such Imperial Army Witch, Anabuki Tomoko, an ace and hero to the people after her outstanding service during the Neuroi raid known as the "Fuso Sea Incident", had been expecting to be sent to Karlsland, where the heaviest fighting was going on. However, she was instead deployed to the northernmost extreme of Europe, Suomus. There she meets the rest of her future fellow squadron members, none of whom had ever made a name for themselves in their former countries, instead being treated nearly like outcasts, half-baked witches without any talent or motivation. It's now up to the "Misfits Squadron", or officially the "Suomus Independent Volunteer Air Squadron", to find out how they can stand up to the Neuroi menace.
This series was written by Yamaguchi Noboru, also known for the Zero no Tsukaima series of light novels. It was first published in October 2006, and there are currently three books, with a fourth scheduled for Spring 2009.
A separate light novel using the characters from the OVA and anime series was written by Nanbou Hidehisa, and published in August 2008. A sequel was published in February 2009.
A semi-official novelette/manga doujinshi was released during Comiket 74, also in August 2008. A sequel was released during Comiket 75, in December 2008. The novel section was written by Suzuki Takaaki, while the manga section was illustrated by Nogami Takeshi.
Also the animated series of Strike Witches was released in April 2010 in the United States. This version was completely in English.
- April 4, 2013:
Yamaguchi Noboru author of Zero no Tsukaima, Strike Witches and many other works has passed away at the age of 41 due to cancer. RIP February 11, 1972 – April 4, 2013
- March 4th - Suomus Misfits Squadron Volume 1 Chapter 7 and Epilogue complete.
- February 29th - Suomus Misfits Squadron Volume 1 Chapter 5-6 complete.
- July 4th - Suomus Misfits Squadron Volume 1 Chapter 4 complete. To Do: Change F/S to F/Sgt
- March 5th - Der Stern von Afrika Volume 2 Chapter 1
- March 1st - Der Stern von Afrika Volume 1 Chapter 7 and Epilogue complete. Commence :selkirkeffort:.
- November 10th - Suomus Misfits Squadron Volume 1 Chapter 3 complete.
- August 24th - Suomus Misfits Squadron Volume 1 Chapter 2 complete.
- August 2nd - Suomus Misfits Squadron Volume 1 Chapter 1 complete.
Older updates can be found on the Strike Witches Updates page.
Those who wish to contribute are asked to first notify a supervisor beforehand.
Translators are asked to register which chapters they're working on
Every Chapter (after editing) must conform to the agreed points highlighted in the below guidelines
Strike Witches: Suomus Misfits Squadron, by Yamaguchi Noboru
Volume 1 - Suomus Misfits Squadron Moving Up
Volume 2 - Suomus Misfits Squadron in Love
FYI: The (almost) complete second volume is at the Strike Witches Wikia
- Novel Illustrations
- Character Introduction
- Chapter 1 - Dark Clouds over Suomus
- Chapter 2 - Mikkeli Temporary Air Base
- Chapter 3 - Stuka Squadron
- Chapter 4 - New Model Ki-44
- Chapter 5 - Tomoko's Unrest
- Chapter 6 - First Love under the Aurora
- Chapter 7 - Recapture Slussen!
- Chapter 8 - Showdown! Mobile Fortress!
Volume 3 - Clash in the Suomus Misfits Squadron
Strike Witches, by Nanbou Hidehisa
Otome no Maki 1
Otome no Maki 2
- Novel Illustrations
- Chapter 1 - Swift, Gigantic, and Soft―or, A Midsummer Night's Ghost Story
- Chapter 2 - Solidarity―or, the Chapter for Sanya, by Sanya, for Sanya
- Chapter 3 - Disappearing Lucchini―or, the Pocket-Plugging Treasure
- Intermission 1 - Sleeping Beauty
- Chapter 4 - Special Operation Riceball!―or, the Maiden's Waistline
- Chapter 5 - Memories of Fun Summer Days―or, Barkhorn in Wonderland
- Intermission 2 - Sleeping Beauty, part 2
- Chapter 6 - Escape Route―or, Low as the clouds, strong as the wind, high as the waves
- Intermission 3 - Base Command, we have achieved total surprise!
- Chapter 7 - Forget You Not―or, a Red Dress and Lili Marleen
Otome no Maki 3
- Novel Illustrations
- Intermission 1 - Micchan Impossible
- Chapter 1 - Defend at All Costs-or, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Flowing Blood
- Chapter 2 - Trust and Friendship-or, Regret and Determination
- Intermission 2 - Micchan Impossible II
- Chapter 3 - To the Sky...-or, Unhoped-for Partings
- Chapter 4 - Strike Witches-or, the Liberation of Gallia
- Intermission 3 - Micchan Impossible III
- Epilogue - Or Prologue?
Strike Witches: Der Stern von Afrika, by Suzuki Takaaki
Der Stern von Afrika (Full Text)
The Eagle and the Moon and the Sun
Assorted short stories, by Nanbou Hidehisa
After the Sky (Official Fanbook)
The Sneaker shorts
- Strike Witches (April 2009)
1. Strike Witches I - ストライクウィッチーズ壱の巻 スオムスいらん子中隊がんばる - ISBN: 978-4044246051 - Released 2006.10.1
2. Strike Witches II - ストライクウィッチーズ弐の巻 スオムスいらん子中隊恋する - ISBN: 978-4044246068 - Released 2007.3.1
3. Strike Witches III - ストライクウィッチーズ参ノ巻 スオムスいらん子中隊はじける - ISBN: 978-4044246075 - Released 2008.7.1
4. Strike Witches Otome no Maki - ストライクウィッチーズ乙女の巻 - ISBN: 978-4044739010 - Released 2008.8.1
5. Strike Witches Otome no Maki 2 - ストライクウィッチーズ乙女の巻2 - ISBN: 978-4044739027 - Released 2009.3.1
6. Strike Witches Otome no Maki 3 - ストライクウィッチーズ乙女の巻３ - ISBN: 978-4044739034 - Released 2009.8.1
7. Strike Witches: Witch in Africa - ストライクウィッチーズアフリカの星 - Doujinshi - Released 2008.8.17
8. Strike Witches: Tiger in Desert - ストライクウィッチーズ砂漠の虎 - Doujinshi - Released 2008.12.30
9. Strike Witches: Tiger in Desert Vol.2 - ストライクウィッチーズ砂漠の虎 後編 - Doujinshi - Released 2009.8.16
10. Strike Witches Official Fanbook Complete File - ストライクウィッチーズオフィシャルファンブックコンプリートファイル - ISBN: 978-4048542968 - Released 2009.1.10
11. The Sneaker (April 2009) - ザ・スニーカー (21年4月号) - Magazine - Released 2009.2.27