Licensed - Shingeki no Kyojin -Before the fall-

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Will you buy the English version of the novels?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 32

sop
Astral Realm

Licensed - Shingeki no Kyojin -Before the fall-

Post by sop »

This is now licensed by Vertical

i would like to suggest

Shingeki no Kyojin -Before the fall-

Author: ISAYAMA Hajime
Art: THORES
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.
I think it is a gaiden o prequel to the original manga but please someone confirm this Source:
katimusha
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin -Before the fall-

Post by katimusha »

the manga for this is pretty good so i have high hopes for the novels
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

As a fan of the original work, I'm intersted to know what happened before the story of SnK in this novel.
And the original creator wrote it, so I think it will stay faithful to the plot.
If someone translate it in English, I will also translate it in French.

Edit : It's sad that nobody cares about this series.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
vysis
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by vysis »

oh dam, did not know this existed. The manga is pretty amazing (except the shounen super power aspect), so this should be good.)
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

vysis wrote:oh dam, did not know this existed. The manga is pretty amazing (except the shounen super power aspect), so this should be good.)
The series is quite realistic (aside from the giants), and the clichés are rare (no fan-service either, that's even better). The manga is well written, and since it's a LN by the original author, I would like to see more interest in this series, it deserves it.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by vermiliongrey »

Misogi wrote: The series is quite realistic (aside from the giants), and the clichés are rare (no fan-service either, that's even better). The manga is well written, and since it's a LN by the original author, I would like to see more interest in this series, it deserves it.
Well, I think the series would've been MUCH better off if the main protaganist didn't have his powers. The story was always about humanity fighting against an impossible opponent using ingenuity until all of the sudden, shounen super power cliche!

Took the story down a significant peg for me, but it was so high up there to begin with that I guess it's really no big deal.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

vermiliongrey wrote:Well, I think the series would've been MUCH better off if the main protaganist didn't have his powers. The story was always about humanity fighting against an impossible opponent using ingenuity until all of the sudden, shounen super power cliche!

Took the story down a significant peg for me, but it was so high up there to begin with that I guess it's really no big deal.
His powers are rising the "unpredictable" and "WTF" factors, two of the series' best points. It adds more questions, without making us lost. It's a shonen, so we still have some clichés. And Eren isn't overpowered at all.
Spoiler! :
Eren vs Annie : The latter won. Even with Eren's badass moments, he lacks experience and the mastery of his power. He passed through madness, then fear, you know what I mean.
Besides, strategy is still present. Look at the last chapter.
----
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

Deleted repost
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

The problem is they don't have a fighting chance without Eren. At no point in the story did the humans manage to do anything significant against the titans without Eren. And even with Eren, they still haven't gotten back any of the lost lands yet. I highly doubt he can single-handedly defeat an entire titan army either.

I think that's why I like the story so much. The protagonist and his powers doesn't mean a whole lot to the progression of the story but only delays the inevitable defeat of the humans.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

ben1234 wrote:The problem is they don't have a fighting chance without Eren. At no point in the story did the humans manage to do anything significant against the titans without Eren. And even with Eren, they still haven't gotten back any of the lost lands yet. I highly doubt he can single-handedly defeat an entire titan army either.

I think that's why I like the story so much. The protagonist and his powers doesn't mean a whole lot to the progression of the story but only delays the inevitable defeat of the humans.
That's possible.

I can think of three possible ends :
- A bad end after answering to all the story's questions : humanity wiped out.
- Humanity wins the battle with a lot of deaths.
- An epic final battle leading to a satisfying end.

Or something totally unexpected from the author, like the current story's progress. We'll find out in at least 3 years.

I'll try to find a translator for this series, but it will be hard to find someone.
----
Pinchi
Astral Realm

Post by Pinchi »

So... has anyone picked this up yet? :?
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Nope, still nothing new here.
----
differentclouds
Astral Realm

Post by differentclouds »

Hi guys this is differentclouds whose currently translating the first 3 DRRR!! novels.

I know some might say I already have too much on my plate to take up another project but well, I want to. I'll have a bit more time so I really want to help translate before the fall. I translate from Chinese and I already have the text and pictures from the first two novels but what I need is the names of the characters romanised from Japanese as the way they translate the names into Chinese is hard to translate to English.

If it was possible ie if anyone actually bought the novels, maybe some scans? I'm fluent in Chinese so I wouldn't want to spend any money on Japanese novels since I can't really read them anyway (I am learning however). Just asking in case someone did buy them. You can contact me at my site differentclouds[dot]livejournal[dot]com if anyone can help. Thanks so much!
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I may look again at the French editions of the manga and the anime... if only I wasn't sick.

Anyway, here are the names that I have in hand :

Screens from the French simulcast :
http://cdn1.wakanim.tv/actus/communaute ... eye04b.jpg
http://cdn1.wakanim.tv/actus/communaute ... eye04a.jpg

Mikasa Ackerman
Reiner Braun
Bertolt Hoover
Annie Leonhart
Eren Jäger
Jean Kirschtein
Marco Bott
Conny Springer
Sasha Braus
Christa Lenz (Alternative name : Spoiler)

Other names :

Hannes
Armin Arlelt
Carla Jäger (Eren's mother)
Grisha Jäger (Father)
Franz / Hannah (Couple in vol.1-2)
Colossal Titan
Armored Titan
Ymir
Thomas Wagner / Nack Tias / Myllius Zermsky / Mina Carolina (34th squad, vol.1-2)
Rivaille
Dot Pixis

Wall Maria
Wall Rose
Wall Sina
Deviant Titans

This list isn't complete, need to catch up on the series...
----
differentclouds
Astral Realm

Post by differentclouds »

I think you misunderstood me. I meant the characters from before the fall, not the main series.

I'm quite sure the characters are totally different haha because the story is set many years before the events of the main series. But I really appreciate the effort man! I sort of scraped together some way by pasting the chinese names into google and seeing if anything german is called that in chinese and just using those names.

But if anyone has any idea (or raws or scans) I would totally appreciate it! I legit scoured the net (and the Chinese interwebs) for any clue but no dice :(

Thanks everyone

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”