ePUB Hard-/Software Reviews

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

ePUB Hard-/Software Reviews

Post by Simon »

Hello to all of you.

I'm starting this topic so everyone can share their knowledge and experience about Hard- and Software for reading ePUBs.
It' not limited only to ePUBs. MOBI, FB2, RB and many more. Do not hesitate to tell us what experience, problems and resolves you had with the formats, hardware and software. We are really glad to hear of anything that would help us make the reading experience better for you all und us included. :D

As already told there are no limits for the vast numbers of hardware and software for reading.

If you like to contribute with a review, problem or resolve you are always welcome.

Thanks in advance to all of you. :mrgreen:
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: ePUB Hard-/Software Reviews

Post by Simon »

File: ePUB

What is EPUB?

The most widely accepted format for ebooks today is EPUB, which is developed and maintained by the IDPF.
You can find the official specifications for EPUB documents on its website: idpf/ePUB.
An EPUB document is a specially constructed zip file with the .epub extension.
An ereader can reflow the content of an EPUB document into any size display screen, from a phone to a desktop monitor.
EPUB also allows for the generation of a navigational table of contents.
The content of a book formatted with EPUB is contained in XHTML and CSS files, which may reference images and embedded fonts, and be encrypted with DRM.
XHTML is a special flavor of HTML, which is the language that all web pages are written in. The EPUB file also contains a series of XML files that help format the book so that it can be properly read by an ereader.

At the moment is ePUB 3 the latest version. The biggest changes from version 2.0.1 to 3 are: HTML 5 and CSS based on CSS 2.1 with added modules from CSS3. For more information >>>ePUB 3 Changes<<<
But as of now there are almost no software that can display the ePUB 3.

As you may already know an EPUB file can optionally contain DRM as an additional layer.

"Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a class of access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals with the intent to limit the use of digital content and devices after sale. DRM is any technology that inhibits uses of digital content that are not desired or intended by the content provider" -Wikipedia

Personaly I don't realy like DRM at the moment or even will never like. The thought of DRM is right. Example: "You have a normal book and you lend it to your friend. As of that moment you don't have that book anymore and can't read it. You can read it when you get it back". That's how it was supposed to be, but as always there are these copyright holders and they block("limit") more then necessary.

So for now this is all about ePUB. If there is something wrong with the text please pm me.
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Dhaos
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dhaos »

I'm using this thread to ask my questions.
I've always wanted to read light novels, but never could, because I would get blinded by reading hundreds of pages on the monitor. I'm finally thinking about buying an ereader. What hardware do you suggest me to read light novels? Are ereaders the best choice? Do they also work fine with eventual images in light novels?
Which ereader would you suggest me? I'm thinking about buying the Kobo Glo, and was wondering whether it is a good choice.
E-Reader: Kobo Mini
Dhaos
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dhaos »

Nevermind, in the end I got the kobo mini, which was in special offer at 59 euros. Another reason why I bought it is that it is truly portable. Let's hope I'll enjoy it when it arrives.
E-Reader: Kobo Mini

Return to “Games & Computing”