Seitokai no Ichizon

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel Translated?

Yes
98%
Maybe
1%
No
1%

Total votes: 403

dragonst
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Seitokai no Ichizon

Post by dragonst »

Author: Sekina Aoi
Illustrator: Kira Inugami
Publisher: Fujimi Fantasia Bunko

Summary: The student council members of a certain high school is chosen by an extremely unique method: They are chosen based on their popularity with the other students of the school. This unique balloting system has resulted in a student council full of pretty girls, with the third-year Sakurano Kurimu as the student council president. However, one member of the student council did not get in based on popular vote, but by taking advantage of a loophole which specifies that the student who tops the school in the year-end examinations may choose to join the student council. That student is Sugisaki Ken, a guy obsessed with eroge whose goal is to make the student council into his own personal harem!

Personal thoughts: I read volume 1 of the series, and I must say that despite the uninteresting premise of the novel (it's a collection of short stories about the conversations that the members of the student council have in the council room) and generic-sounding summary, it was so funny that I ended up laughing every 3 minutes on the average. The theme of each short story ranges from telling ghost stories to broadcasting a radio show, and I must say that this series is extremely entertaining.

Terminology notes for series:
1. Leave otaku words in romanji form (e.g. ハレム --> Harem/ 美少女--> literal translation is 'beautiful women' but leave it as bishoujo) If in doubt check TL notes in Volume 1 and if not in there pm Poke2201.

2. Leave 会長 as Kaichou. It seems better than seeing 'The President' or any variation of this.

Names:
杉崎 鍵 = Sugisaki Ken or 鍵ー君 , his nickname Ki-kun.
桜野 くりむ Sakurano Kurimu known mainly as 会長 Kaichou or 赤ーちゃん Aka-chan(Used either as "Baby" as a joke, or her nickname "Little Red")
紅葉 知弦 Akaba Chizuru, usually named in story as 知弦-さん
椎名 深夏 Shiina Minatsu, usually has no suffix at end
(椎名 真冬 Shiina Mafuyu, usually named as 真冬-ちゃん
Last edited by cautr on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Name consistency
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
誰にも知られることなく、散っていく命がありました。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
明日さえも見えない絶望の中で、今日を生きる権利すら奪われた戦士たち。
守るべき祖国から捨てられ、戦争の大義も、勝利の栄光も、自らの名前さえも奪われた戦士たち。
そして、理想を追い求め、自らの手を血に染める戦士たち。
戦場という絶望の中で、彼らが見た希望とは何だったのでしょうか?
そして、彼らが守り抜いたものとは、何だったでしょうか?
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Re: Seitokai no Ichizon

Post by Vaelis »

dragonst wrote:Edit: Could anyone help me put the poll up? I have absolutely no idea how these things work T_T
Done :)
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

love it already you have my vote

baka baka baka
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

You are creating the teaser page by yourself? :mrgreen:
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Btw it will be turned into an anime in October(?) 2009.
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

Yeah thats what alerted me to it's existence in the first place :) Hopefully the anime will create some interest in this series
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

If i am right, i have read a few chapters of the manga... though it is not exceptionally impressive, i was astonished by the amount of words in there... It didnt impress me all that much, but it seems not too bad... My belief is that the manga had to include that much words as the light novel would be good and therefore they find it hard to give up on most of the speeches.... However, i am unable to truly say that it is that interesting compared to other novels... Probably because i have never seen its light novel or come to truly understand the story...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

Alas, what a tragedy! Shadow, I implore you to read the series and then give your golden thumbs up! /wails
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
ShadowZeroHeart

dragonst wrote:Alas, what a tragedy! Shadow, I implore you to read the series and then give your golden thumbs up! /wails
Paid for volume one, reading it, and just finished chapter 3, which is the Radio Broadcast. The third was the funniest of the first three chapters.

My opinion of this novel so far is basically a very simple and plain school life. There doesnt seem to be much action, but more of simple speech and certain actions that make daily lives a little... more entertaining? Its not all too special or anything, but its not too bad either. In fact, i believe that it not being special is a specialty in itself. Most novels require certain events happening, for example festivals, student council selection etc. Ghosts appearing, monsters to battle etc. This novel, (from my impression up to chapter 3) is basically about nothing. They just sit in a room, do a simple chat. However, the chat is rather interesting, and it is not too strange should you ever encounter something similar one fine day.

In other words, gain intellectual powers from wanting a harem, get superb grades+abilities, get into a bunch of girls and declare that you wanna build a harem with them. Then you will probably experience the same events as in the novel.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
ShadowZeroHeart

Finally finished reading volume one... Damn

dragonst, if you wanna know my thoughts about this novel, here it is:
Just who is this kind of novel meant for? Who would find such a novel interesting? There is no element of entertainment in it, and from the content there is no way to imagine the look on the reader’s face.

If you don't agree to what i say, read the following!!

Here it is:
Spoiler! :
“……”

I look at the novel that I have written.

<Our president is such a perfect female. At this moment, in my heart, I, Sugisaki Ken, is certain…… Having such a beautiful and invincible leader, this school will definitely become the best school. That is what happened during Spring at the age of 16.>

“……”

Just who is this kind of novel meant for? Who would find such a novel interesting? There is no element of entertainment in it, and from the content there is no way to imagine the look on the reader’s face.

The title seems to be <<Woo! The superb student council>>. It is said that the students of this school are liable to bring this novel together with their textbooks…… This is just too cruel.

Droopingly, I continue to write on, the meeting at the side seems to have come to a temporary halt. Minatsu probably wanted a change in mood, or is looking for a comrade at heart, and asked:

“Ken…… Are you okay?”

“Not good…… I have worked hard ever since last year, but I have finally burnt out today------ That is probably how painful it is.”

“I really pity you this time round. Let me see where are you at…… Hmmm…… Hmm…… You really tried your best.”

Minatsu looks at me with eyes of respect. This situation made me feel really happy, but right now I really do not have any energy left to give her a response, but to show her a weak smile. Minatsu’s eyes seem a little wet, looking at me as if looking at a patient suffering from terminal cancer…… So I really looks that bad.

“By the way, Minatsu, about your description------”

“Ah, anything is fine------”

“Then I will……”

“Just include “beautiful” “suave” “reliable” “elegant” “strongest” “tender amidst the gloriousness” “worthy of the title battle goddess” “rising air” these terms within would be fine……”

“How is that anything! And what is with that last two that is like an alternate name!”

“They bear a light novel feeling in them don’t they? Recent light novels, if there isn’t any special abilities or names to them, they can’t sell well?”

“Not needed! This is not that kind of story anyway!”

“Hmm------ Then let characters that bear special abilities appear starting from chapter 2, then it becomes an shocking and exciting story------”

“There is no way of seeing how it goes that way! A story about the student council will definitely not go in that manner! Readers will probably go “this is over doing the plot, what a joke.” kind of comments.”

“And then let the strongest opponent appear right from the start, then it will surely be very interesting right?”

“Who cares! That is why I am telling you, this is not that kind of story!”

“The last boss is “Echo of Death”, with the ability to control death.”

“Isnt that evil eye! But there really is that strongest kind of feeling to it! I won’t want to be his enemy!”

“Ken’s ability is “Chicken Chicken”! This ability is------”

“No need to explain, I know its weak just by the name!”

“To defeat a strong power with a weak power, only then will readers feel heated up.”

“I just get the feeling that such a big difference cannot be saved even with tactics!”

“This would depend on the hero’s might! And you are the writer!”

“Impossible! With my brain, I can at most just think of ways to suddenly power up the hero!”

“No no, that wont be fun. You must use the starting conditions to win, only then would it be good!”

“Then think yourself! You will amend the battle!”

“Nahz, too troublesome------”

“…… You.”

“By the way, the ability of the president is “All Cancel”[Term used: no point talking to her].”

“…… Ah, only this title I am interested to write into the novel.”

“You see.”

While chatting with Minatsu, I continue writing chapter two.

<It was just an instant.

“------Huh?”

“It seems you cannot understand my ability.”

“How…… can such a thing be possible.”

Before my eyes, a pile of corpses has appeared in an instant.

But…… What was terrifying was not the scene before me.

Not knowing why. Or perhaps to say there is no way to comprehend.

When I realized it, this pile of corpses has already appeared.

A pile of corpses? Is the fact that so many died considered abnormal? No.

Before this, there wasn’t anyone living in the first place.

In just that instant, the originally empty space, this pile of corpses appeared.

“How…… can, this be? Could it be……”

“You think its teleportation? Teleporting the corpses here? Wrong, how very wrong. Sugisaki Ken, my ability…… isn’t that kind of low level stuff.”

“……”

“Illusion? Wrong. Time control? Wrong. Space traveling? Still wrong! My ability isn’t something that puny!”

“You…… Just what……”

“Hmph…… Sugisaki Ken, remember my name. I am “Echo of Death”. I am…… Your brother!”

“Wha, what------”>

“That’s it------------!”

I stopped the hands that is hitting on the keyboard, and stretched my back. Minatsu bloats her cheeks with an unhappy look:

“Hang on a bit more. It looks quite good like this, the feeling is there.”

“This is tiring! This is a mental strain! And why is he my brother!”

“You wrote that yourself……”

“Ahhh! No way, no way! Such a shocking and exciting chapter two won’t do!”

“Then there will be no hot-blooded elements?”

“Why does a story with the student council as background have to have hot-blooded elements!”

“If you really want to put it that way, why must we write a story about the student council?”

“Err……”

That is right. But…… That is another question. At least the setting of characters with special powers appearing must be refuted. The rate this is going, I will be drained out.

Probably because she saw me chatting with Minatsu, even Mafuyu-chan came to join in. As for our president, she seems to be busy “discussing the plot of the story” with Chizuru.

“Senpai, senpai.”

“What’s wrong Mafuyu-chan? Any good ideas?”

“Yup! Mafuyu wants to supply some ideas too!”

“No problem, no problem, I will never refuse a bishoujo’s request, that is me, Sugisaki Ken. I will do my utmost to accept Mafuyu-chan’s suggestion.”

“Thank you senpai! Then let’s do this.”

Mafuyu-chan starts talking about her suggestion regarding chapter two, I continue typing as I listen to her.

<Even I am not sure what is this throbbing sensation in my heart.

“Brother......?”

“My younger brother.”

Squeeze.

Huh? What is this, this tight feeling in my heart…… What can it be?”

This body without any excess flesh, even though not considered thin to the bones, yet still reliable chest, with that straight looks.

Everything of my brother, made me subconsciously react to it.

“My younger brother…… I have always wanted to meet you……”

“Echo of Death-nii……”[Nee as in brother]

“…… My younger brother.”

Echo of Death-nii hugs me tightly.

My face flushes red suddenly.

“Ah…… Brother……”

“……My younger brother……”

The distance of the two of us gradually closes in.

At the centre of the pile of corpses, right now the two of us cries out for love from our hearts.

Our faces gradually gets closer. Ahhh…… Brother.

“……”

“……”

And then…… we hungrily seek each others’ lips------>

“What kind of development is this----------------!”

“To only rebut after writing so much…… Senpai certainly has qualities of a comedian!”

“I don’t need such praise!”

I shout out in fury at Mafuyu-chan. Normally I will never use such an attitude towards her, but this time, it is really overboard.

Yet this time Mafuyu-chan seems to have portions where she will not compromise, and fearlessly say to me:

“What’s wrong! Senpai do have talent in this field!”

“This kind of talent that would make oneself feel afraid is too rare!”

“At least write a bit more! Until the part where the two goes to bed!”

“Please don’t joke around! I really want to cut myself off from the character in the book, but at this stage, it really is too painful to share the same name as the character! Help!”

“Get used to it! Senpai, this is just like H-games! Once you get used to this sort of thing, you won’t feel embarrassed!”

“What do you mean by get used to it, I don’t even want to touch it!”

“You shouldn’t be so stubborn senpai!”

“Still so cute, damn!”

<And the two went to bed following that, and spent a night of passion together.>
Tell me if you agree with me, dragonst!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

The author writes that the only theme of the novels is comedy, and from what I read, the brand of comedy that the author infuses this book with is extremely different from the mainstream comedy that we're all used to, and this is what I like about the series. Everything is expressed through dialogue, and the practically the only inner thoughts that the reader comes into contact with are that of the main character (the male dude). I'll admit that because the series banks on its dialogue to entertain its readers, it probably would not be a good idea for B-T to take this up as a project (as of now) simply because we probably don't have the level of translation proficiency to properly bring out the value in the dialogue. The english translations that shadow and I have attempted have only half of the comedic value of the chinese translations at most, so I can only imagine how much entertainment value was lost in the translation from japanese to chinese.

That being said, I still find myself drawn to this series of novels because it's about the simple interactions of normal (albeit a little extreme) people that all of us probably know in out own lives. I find it a breath of fresh air from the fantasy worlds and parallel universes that we at B-T always come into contact with. I don't think that this book doesn't have any entertainment value in it, for I see pieces of my own self in the verbal exchanges between the characters, I see bits and pieces of my own character in their discussions, and I, for one, am entertained by this extension of myself, this simplistic fantasy that I am at once a part of and a third party away from the dialogue.

As for who would find this novel interesting, I would say that people who are just a tad jaded from the magic, chaos and extremities of the usual light novel contexts, people who are literally looking for a 'light' novel, a novel that can be read in bits and pieces, probably in any random order, and still manage to entertain the reader. The people who fufill the above-stated citera, I think, are those who would find this novel interesting.

In Seitokai no Ichizon, I am able to see the special things in everyday conversations, I am also reminded that heartwarming, poignant moments do not always have to happen in fantasy-like love stories, and through the funny but simplistic dialogues, I find that I am able to look at my own life from another angle, a better one. That is why I am so drawn to this series, why I like it so much.

Basically, I don't agree with you, shadow. But your point of view is completely understandable, and I respect that.

I probably have gotten a bit carried away while writing this post, and I hope that nothing offensive have been written. I admit that it was probably a bad idea to suggest such an undoable series as a future project, and I apologise for any misunderstandings.
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
ShadowZeroHeart

Sorry, dragonst, i guess you dont see that my thoughts of the previous post is a direct quote from the translation i did? It was the inner thought of the guy...

ANYWAY, that aside, the real thoughts are that, as you mentioned, they bring out the simplicity, though i must admit the guy's guts to declare that he wanna build a harem right in front of that bunch of girls. His passion and powers can be clearly seen. The characteristics for each character is rather distinct, and their interactions funny, while keeping it simple. Not sure if you might agree on this, but i find this a little similar to zetsubou sensei, as in bringing daily everyday stuff into one's attention. Zetsubou sensei tend to exaggerate very much, whereas this does not. At the same time, you can read one chapter, take a break before the next, unlike most novel series where a volume tells a story, this one is by chapter.

For the entire of volume 1, all the chapters started off in the same manner, a manner i believe, and hope will stay throughout, it brings out their characters with these minor interactions. Though it is not entirely on my top list of novels, i would say it is not bad. Too bad that i am unlikely to buy future volumes due to my lack of space for my novels... anyone has a bookshelf to spare? LOLz

P.S. if i didnt think that the novel is good, do you think i would spend the time to even translate that bit?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Ah, which chapters represent your teasers? How much of the chapters? All from volume 1? (Just in case no one of you does create the page ;))

and btw. for me they were only a little amusing - its like to see a (good old but always funny) comedian with some old jokes...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
ShadowZeroHeart

Darklor wrote:Ah, which chapters represent your teasers? How much of the chapters? All from volume 1? (Just in case no one of you does create the page ;))

and btw. for me they were only a little amusing - its like to see a (good old but always funny) comedian with some old jokes...
Both from vol 1, dragonst is from chapter 3, mines one of the last chapters
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

Ah sorry shadow for getting carried away, I was in a hurry to book-in to camp when I wrote that. (I'm thinking that since you're from sg too you've already experienced the 'wonders' of ns? o_O)
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-