Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find the quality of translation?

Great!
89%
Okay but lacking a nice flow
7%
Some awkward lines but okay
4%
Quite rough with terrible flow
No votes
Ahhh!!! The grammar is killing me!
1%

Total votes: 712

lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Post by lchigo93 »

well the names of the important characters are actually listed on the colored pages of the illustrations. although you do have to maximize it to actually see the words... well, i might not be a big help but i can help a little for deciding which terms that is more suited to be used, just like the campione guideline.

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
nikuniku
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nikuniku »

Oh, yeah, you are right. For volume 1, they only have katakana for names, but from vol2 onwards they have the English names spelled beside the katakanas.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

BTW, what's exactly the title for chapter 3? In the Vhinese version I have, it's not exactly "classmate princess". Can anyone check, please?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

BTW, guys, let's move the discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4610

Reason is that there's no need to moderate posts.
Kira0802

lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

Ren Arsberg or however you guys spell it is the
Spoiler! :
name Kamito used to joing the Spirit Blade Dance Festival 3 years ago, Ren Ashdoll i think was mentioned in one of the latest volumes to be the dark spirit king, who has been wiped from history.
And how would you guys translate Claire's real family name, Ernstin? Ernstein?

And a name that also come up very frequently is Restia.

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

for the name of chapter 3, wouldn't it be fine if you used "My classmate is an Ojou-sama"? because it's kind of hard to translate ojou-sama to english, unless you wanna use missy, which sounds kinda weird.

nikuniku
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nikuniku »

For the title of chapter 3, "クラスメイトはお姫さま", so "my classmate is a princess" might be better.

I know that 最強の剣舞姫 is translated as "the strongest blade dancer", but I always feel "strongest" sounds extremely plain and not impressive enough, I wonder if anyone feel the same way.

Anyway, I wrote it as "unmatchable blade dancer", but I'll change it if people feel it is not faithful or too pompous.

精霊魔装 in the novel it is also note to read as エレメンタルヴアツフエ. The first part エレメンタル= elemental, the second part ヴアツフエ, according to a poster at animesuki, is "waffe", German word for "weapon". I am suggestion we translate it as "elemental waffe", and leave a note at its first appearance to say waffe is weapon. Or we translate it as "Elemental weapon".

神威 this is marked as "カムイ" (=Kamuy) in the novel, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamuy , Kamuy is the word for a spiritual or divine being in Ainu mythology.
I don't know whether to keep Kamuy or translate it as "divine power". This word does appear quite a few times later on, such as statements like the 神威 of Kamito is depleted, etc. Personally, I prefer "divine power".

PS: I know I have said that we keep "Seirei tsukai" as it is, but I found myself translate it as "Spirit Contractor" through out most of my part. As for 姫巫女, I still feel himemiko is better. "princess priestess " sounds bad.
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

hmm, I think Divine power is better too, but you'll have to make a note to let people know what divine power is when they're reading, cause with the word alone and no description of what it is, it'll make it sound really flashy like.

And personally, I like "The strongest Blade dancer" more, but i guess everyone has different opinions, we can leave that one for open debate i guess.

And for the weapons, I guess using elemental wouldn't be bad, but i'd get confused as not everyone can turn their spirits into weapon form and not all the weapons are actually elemental, i mean there is those 5 (or six if you include dark spirits) that are elemental, but there are also non elemental spirits like sword spirits and other spirits. IMO, it's better to look for other words, and i think we should pull in more readers and maybe other translators to help decide the best term that should be used.

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Kira0802 wrote:BTW, guys, let's move the discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4610

Reason is that there's no need to moderate posts.
You are just to lazy ;) :lol:
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

lchigo93 wrote:Ren Arsberg or however you guys spell it is the
Spoiler! :
name Kamito used to joing the Spirit Blade Dance Festival 3 years ago, Ren Ashdoll i think was mentioned in one of the latest volumes to be the dark spirit king, who has been wiped from history.
And how would you guys translate Claire's real family name, Ernstin? Ernstein?

And a name that also come up very frequently is Restia.
Huh?
Spoiler! :
Three years ago, a fourteen years old young girl dominated the spirit blade dance play festival’s individual match.

“ --- It was said. She has returned”

Greyworth’s grayish pair of eyes, fixedly looked at Kamito’s eye.

“The Strongest Blade Play Dancer --- Ren Arsberg”
And I thought because of the quote, that Ren is his rival...
:lol:
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Wonder if we could standardize these terms
火猫 - fire cat
炎精霊 - fire spirit
精霊機関 - spirit device

the above are simple words I picked to avoid thinking too much.

Regarding 精霊魔装, I like keeping the engrish the author used, although this one doesn't really match its meaning.
It's like a spirit magic armament or something.

For 精霊使い, is there like a unanimous opinion? I pretty fine with both spirit user and spirit contractor, except I'm not too sure why first letters of spirit contractor are capitalized in the other chapters.

参じ is come, right?

Finally, 鎮守の精霊語, is there like a spirit language?

Edit:
Btw, the parts that start with ... but without the ( ) are awfully first person like...
nikuniku
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nikuniku »

火猫 (へルカヤツト) so it is "hell cat".

I translated 炎精霊 as "flame spirit", I believe. Some times these titles comes with the names of the spirits, like 炎精霊 <スカーレット> = Scarlet. I might have gone with purely "Scarlet" at places if I find "flame spirit Scarlet" too cumbersome. Other examples include 魔氷精霊 <フエンリル>=Fenrir, or "magic ice spirit Fenrir".

I think "spirit device" sounds good.

For 精霊語, I did translate it as "spirit language", but now I am thinking whether "spirit spell" will be better.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

精霊語 could also be "the language of spirit", "the spirit tongue" or "spirit words".
Kira0802

KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Hmm, is 五大精霊王 elemental lord(s) for the whole thing or just for 精霊王. The furigana is long that's why it covers all but I am not sure what the author intends.

I've gone with Elstein for Claire's family name.
Black Dust
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Black Dust »

KuroiHikari wrote:Hmm, is 五大精霊王 elemental lord(s) for the whole thing or just for 精霊王. The furigana is long that's why it covers all but I am not sure what the author intends.

I've gone with Elstein for Claire's family name.
The furigana above it , means the same like 精霊王, but the author wants to state that they are the great five elemental lord, which are the guardian of their element water, wind, earth, fire and metal. 五大精霊王

Return to “English”