Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon ?

It was good! Please do more!
96%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 759

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Kyokai Senjou no Horizon

Post by Mystes »

So that mans that you'll perhaps participate, Ping?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
nova
Astral Realm

Post by nova »

Teh_ping wrote:Just to state my conditions, you're only getting me involved in this if js06 and at least another talented and dedicated translator comes along to help.
oh man, why not just convince js06 to translate densetsu, so sad doods, looks like the big translation of another boobsy novel is much more likely.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Is js06 even interested in translating other series than Index?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Darklor wrote:Is js06 even interested in translating other series than Index?
Why not asking?
Kira0802

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Teh_ping »

Teh_ping wrote:Just to state my conditions, you're only getting me involved in this if js06 and at least another talented and dedicated translator comes along to help. I'm interested, but reluctant to work on the series alone as it's too long and that I have other projects
Kira0802 wrote:So that mans that you'll perhaps participate, Ping?
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...
nova wrote:oh man, why not just convince js06 to translate densetsu, so sad doods, looks like the big translation of another boobsy novel is much more likely.
PM Lare, I think he got a new translator.
Darklor wrote:Is js06 even interested in translating other series than Index?
Kira0802 wrote:Why not asking?
The only thing stopping him is the length. We need at least 3 translators for this.

Posting this from work computer. My home computer got BSOD.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

no, you need 3 translators who can do at least 300KB a month.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

larethian wrote:no, you need 3 translators who can do at least 300KB a month.
I don't know what's easier. That, or getting 1000 people to translate one page for two hours.
Kunagisa
Astral Realm

Post by Kunagisa »

Just a suggestion. Even if you don't translate the novels, just translate the glossary for Part I of Volume 1. I think that itself would help a lot of the anime fans and it's only 2 pages.

I personally don't think you should start without 4 consistent translators and 2 editors. This is my favorite light novel after Zaregoto, so I would love to see it in English, though like TLG said, this book is not for everyone. If you're not a fanatic about setting, you will find a lot of "useless" details. The anime is doing a fabulous job so far, but also dumped out a crapton of detail while stripping everything down the bare minimum to fit the plot, which is somewhat disappointing because those details are the flavor of the characters and the world.

I have no idea what the translators' interests are, but there are a ton of romance, comedy, and action. The plot's pretty thick too, as there are political, economical, and personal perspectives to consider. For me personally, I get annoyed if the author spends a ton of time developing a character that I find stupid (like Accel World for example), but I like all the characters in this series (same with Zaregoto). I very strongly recommend reading this even if you don't end up translating it. Book I is definitely the hardest to get through, but the rest is just pure love; for comparison purpose, Itsuka Tenma 6's ending was so good that I ended up in a sugar-high state for the whole afternoon while after finishing Book II of Horizon I ended raving about it in irc for a few weeks (still raving).

tl;dr: read until end of volume I then decide
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Kunagisa wrote:Just a suggestion. Even if you don't translate the novels, just translate the glossary for Part I of Volume 1. I think that itself would help a lot of the anime fans and it's only 2 pages.

I personally don't think you should start without 4 consistent translators and 2 editors. This is my favorite light novel after Zaregoto, so I would love to see it in English, though like TLG said, this book is not for everyone. If you're not a fanatic about setting, you will find a lot of "useless" details. The anime is doing a fabulous job so far, but also dumped out a crapton of detail while stripping everything down the bare minimum to fit the plot, which is somewhat disappointing because those details are the flavor of the characters and the world.

I have no idea what the translators' interests are, but there are a ton of romance, comedy, and action. The plot's pretty thick too, as there are political, economical, and personal perspectives to consider. For me personally, I get annoyed if the author spends a ton of time developing a character that I find stupid (like Accel World for example), but I like all the characters in this series (same with Zaregoto). I very strongly recommend reading this even if you don't end up translating it. Book I is definitely the hardest to get through, but the rest is just pure love; for comparison purpose, Itsuka Tenma 6's ending was so good that I ended up in a sugar-high state for the whole afternoon while after finishing Book II of Horizon I ended raving about it in irc for a few weeks (still raving).

tl;dr: read until end of volume I then decide
what? since the only really active translator here who can understand that comparison is me, are you trying to sell it to me? :lol: but 6 is nothing compared to 7 which is nothing compared to 8. As a dungeon master for old skool D&D, I am into detailed settings like this. And I'm for insanity. But, alas, I don't have that much time.

and since the glossary is only 2 pages, why don't you supply the translation? as someone who has read it, you're in a better position to do it accurately.
Kunagisa
Astral Realm

Post by Kunagisa »

larethian wrote: what? since the only really active translator here who can understand that comparison is me, are you trying to sell it to me? :lol: but 6 is nothing compared to 7 which is nothing compared to 8. And I'm for insanity.
I am reading very few light novels at the moment, and the only authors that come to mind at Kawahara, Kawakami, Nisio, Kagami and maybe Watase. I'm just thinking over the chapters that I've fangasmed over on IRC, and the most recent one is Horizon and before that was Kagami (which is a while ago ...). For the record, I am pretty behind on SAO, AW, Monogatari series and Denyuuden (especially DYD and AW). I'm a heavy wuv wuv Image fan, and there really been a serious lack of epic confessions/romance scenes in recent series (though I heard AW 9 will fix that).
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Kunagisa wrote:
larethian wrote: what? since the only really active translator here who can understand that comparison is me, are you trying to sell it to me? :lol: but 6 is nothing compared to 7 which is nothing compared to 8. And I'm for insanity.
I am reading very few light novels at the moment, and the only authors that come to mind at Kawahara, Kawakami, Nisio, Kagami and maybe Watase. I'm just thinking over the chapters that I've fangasmed over on IRC, and the most recent one is Horizon and before that was Kagami (which is a while ago ...). For the record, I am pretty behind on SAO, AW, Monogatari series and Denyuuden (especially DYD and AW). I'm a heavy wuv wuv Image fan, and there really been a serious lack of epic confessions/romance scenes in recent series (though I heard AW 9 will fix that).
have you read 7 and 8 yet? for Itsuten. it doubles for each successive volume :lol: For Daiden 10, I also fangasmed a little about the truth of Luke, but not as much as Itsuten 7 & 8, which made my mind explode a few times. multi-fangasms rox. mind blown. bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita bakuhatsushita!!

And just to repeat my edited post, if the glossary is only 2 pages, why don't you supply the translation? since as a person who has read it, you're in a better position to do it accurately ;)
Kunagisa
Astral Realm

Post by Kunagisa »

larethian wrote:And just to repeat my edited post, if the glossary is only 2 pages, why don't you supply the translation? since as a person who has read it, you're in a better position to do it accurately ;)
Cause I'm a proud leecher *gets shot*.

Well no, I tried translating the preface of his explanation on P-01s' design, then I realize I can't translate at all. I can chat and write essay' just fine, but once I start trying to translate into English sentences are filled with all sorts of grammatical errors and sound incredibly awkward. Having prior experience doesn't give extra edge on translating the glossary, since the glossary was written in such a way that assumes readers have 0 prior experience reading the material =).

Also, no haven't read 7 and 8. I dropped all novel reading except for Horizon this semester, couldn't even continue taking Japanese in school cause of schedule conflicts. And by "reading" I mean crawling my hairs out looking at the dictionary and cross-referencing with the Chinese translation (and I'm not even that good at reading Chinese ffs). Got a year before MCAT, life sucks etc. Even though I got plenty of interest, got no time and not enough skill to translate.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

For some reason, it's so much easier to read than translate. Even if you understand what the author is trying to say, it's not always easy to transcribe that in a different language. I'm not really sure why.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:For some reason, it's so much easier to read than translate. Even if you understand what the author is trying to say, it's not always easy to transcribe that in a different language. I'm not really sure why.
That's why there are so few translators.
Teh_ping wrote:I don't know what's easier. That, or getting 1000 people to translate one page for two hours.
The latter. Or combined efforts?
Kira0802

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Kira0802 wrote:
YoakeNoHikari wrote:For some reason, it's so much easier to read than translate. Even if you understand what the author is trying to say, it's not always easy to transcribe that in a different language. I'm not really sure why.
That's why there are so few translators.
And the reasons we have excuses to just ignore people yelling at us to hurry up. (Read: FB group's war.)(We should just have a separate translator group that's private.)
Kira0802 wrote:
Teh_ping wrote:I don't know what's easier. That, or getting 1000 people to translate one page for two hours.
The latter. Or combined efforts?
The latter would be really hard to pull off simply due to phrasing. You'd need to either have really dedicated editors or somewhat similar speaking translators to keep up consistency in the translation. I wouldn't want to read something that sounds like a completely different person wrote it every few pages.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles

Return to “English”