Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou?

It was good! Please do more!
95%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
No votes
Boring. Not touching it again.
2%

Total votes: 41

Sozuoka
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou

Post by Sozuoka »

Heard that this one is like a more serious version of Bungaku Shoujo, and there should be a reason why it topped the sales chart, surpassing Monogatari, TAMNI and SAO. Kinda weird that no one translated it into English yet. I could put the prologue here (VIE to ENG) if you guys want.
~I don't often translate, but when I do, I give up after 30 minutes.~
Tony Yon
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

Post by Tony Yon »

Sozuoka wrote:Heard that this one is like a more serious version of Bungaku Shoujo, and there should be a reason why it topped the sales chart, surpassing Monogatari, TAMNI and SAO. Kinda weird that no one translated it into English yet. I could put the prologue here (VIE to ENG) if you guys want.
please do.... :D ahahaha...
Basically KIA
Interferenter
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Interferenter »

Sozuoka wrote:Heard that this one is like a more serious version of Bungaku Shoujo, and there should be a reason why it topped the sales chart, surpassing Monogatari, TAMNI and SAO. Kinda weird that no one translated it into English yet. I could put the prologue here (VIE to ENG) if you guys want.
its novel surpassing monogatari ???
i start anxious to this novel...
please, put prologue here....
noitaminA
zgmfx09a
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zgmfx09a »

Here's a teaser

Prologue
Spoiler! :
On that day six years ago, I was walking downhill along the slopes of Kita-Kamakura, stumbling my way through the narrow alley by the railway.

My white shirt was soaked in sweat, which made it stick tightly against my back. The irritating sounds of cicadas rang endlessly by my ears. Hydrangeas could be seen everywhere, but before they had withered, it was already summer following the end to the rainy season.

For the locals who do not enjoy surfing, summer is not a season for them to be happy about. Though the beaches of Yuigahama and Enoshima were already opened to the public, the middle and high-school students here does not really like to play and swim at the beaches around here — reasons are the large number of tourists as well as the strange dirty colour found in the waters during the rising tide.

I was a second-year high-school student of the prefectural high school located halfway up a mountain. It was a Sunday, but I was in school to retrieve a textbook which I had forgotten there. I had just left the school and was about to make my way home. Since I missed the bus which had a waiting period of an hour between each bus, I was forced to make my way to the JR station despite the fact that I travel to and fro the school by bus. Kamakura's surrounded by mountains and the roads here are narrow. There are just places where the transportation network is incredibly inconvenient.

I could see the platform of Kita-Kamakura Station to my right. The platform is really long, and combining that with the fact that the ticketing gates are located at only one of the sides, what you get is the need for you to take a long walk before you can get into the station.

And to my left were rows of old buildings. The trees planted in the courtyards of the various families were huge, resulting in a lush greenery.

Not many people may know this; or perhaps they won't really take note even if they do — there's a second-hand bookstore located at this alley.

This wooden building which has been around for many years did not even put up the name of their store. The only thing they did was to place an old signboard that rotates to the wind at the entrance of their store, and on it were the words "Acquisition of old books, providing honest valuation" written in a flamboyant handwriting. The signboard couldn't really turn much due to its rust.

Just as I was about to pass by the bookstore whose name I did not know of......

Something unexpected happened. The timber framed sliding door rattled open, and a young woman stepped out of the door.

She was wearing a set of plain attire — white sleeveless blouse with a long blue skirt; her long hair was braided and wound up loosely behind her neck. Her pale skin complimented her shiny black eye, making them look even brighter. Beneath her straight nose is a pair of thin lips.

She should be slightly older than me. She looks different from anyone whom I knew, a beautiful girl who will cause passer-bys to stop and take a second look. Even so, she does not seem to be the type of beauty who is difficult to approach. Her lips were pursed like a small bird, and she was giving off a strange, hoarse sound.

"Su— Susu— Su—"

It took me a while to realize that she was whistling. She might actually be a klutz.

She pulled out a small cart from the old wooden building. Seems like she's a employee of the second-hand bookstore who was preparing for its opening.

Her attention was focused on pushing the cart to its destined area; she did not once look at me, who was standing motionlessly by the side, through the corner of her eyes. On the cart was a wooden plank with the words "Hundred yen for each" written sloppily on it. Seems like the cart is used to display books that are on sale.

Just as she was about to head back into the store, she suddenly set her eyes on the signboard and gave a soft "Eh?". She gave the metal plate a push, and it began to spin with a creaking sound. It stopped when it turned to the back of the "Acquisition of old books, providing honest valuation" side.

<Biblia Koshodou (ビブリア古書堂)>

I thought for a moment and realized — that should be the name of the store! So it's not a nameless store after all. She walked back into the store with a springy step, and all these while she did not realize my existence.

(Who is she?)

The store should be ran by a middle-aged man with greyish hair all by himself. Did he hire a college student?

I could not help but to make my way towards <Biblia Koshodou> and peeked through the glass panel of the sliding door into the dimly-lit store. Opposite to the bookshelves was a counter filled with books. I saw the girl through the valleys of the mountain of books.

It looked just as though she was buried within the books. She was reading a very large book, and those round eyes behind her glasses were wide opened and sparkling with brilliance — I could see that clearly even from the place I was. There were times where she smiles, others where she nods her head hard; she was never still.

(She really loves to read.)

I guess that is what you mean by losing yourself. Her actions may look a little strange, but that was the first time I saw someone whose expressions were that lively while being engrossed in a book. I was incredibly envious. What was she reading? What's so interesting about its contents?

I placed my hand on the sliding door, but pulled it away and gave up in the end. What's the point of asking her those questions? Reading is something that has little to do with me — reason is the 'constitution' of my body. I left the entrance of the bookstore with a depressed mood and slowly made my way towards the station.

Her silhouette which I saw in the dim bookstore was burned deep into my memory like a painting. As I made my way past the ticketing gates and onto the platform, there were several times where I wanted to turn around and make my way back to that store so that I can chat with that girl. That did not happen.

And with that, I took the Yokosuka line back home.

I did not find it strange that I let the chance slip past me without even doing anything. It takes an exceptionally talented person to grab hold and fully utilize the opportunity he encounters. An ordinary person will most likely pass by it quietly — and since I am an ordinary person, what I did was to take the ordinary course of action.

But even up till now, there will be times where I think to myself — what will happen if I enter the store and familiarize myself with her? Perhaps my life will take a different turn if I did that.

Whatever, such presumptions are pointless. There will be of no end to things if I continue to dwell on it any longer.

Aside from the stories that are written in them, the second-hand books that circulate among the hands of people do have their very own story as well. I am quoting this from someone else, but I do find it to be true. Just, if I can add something to that, it will be that not all 'stories' are beautiful. There are some ugly contents that will cause one to turn his head away — just like everything else that exists in this world.

My name's Goura Daisuke, and I'm twenty-three this year. The old books that are related to me is none other than <The Complete Works of Soseki (漱石全集)>.

Well then, let me begin with this story.

EDIT: Kindly put the translations in spoiler henceforth.
Last edited by zgmfx09a on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interferenter
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Interferenter »

its interesting. ..
about second hand bookstore...
I love book ...
noitaminA
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

What's up with the poll? It's the first time in my life that I saw a poll where the "Not at all" option take the lead, what's more, the "No" option is in the third place :shock:

Something must be wrong here, I mean, many people said that this novel is great, and it really seems that is the case. So how come the poll spit out a result like this? :roll:

Well, it's not like the poll has much influence to the translators, but still...
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Maybe because there aren't any nice pictures (save for the first page)? :D
zgmfx09a
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zgmfx09a »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:Maybe because there aren't any nice pictures (save for the first page)? :D
If the reason for not wanting to read this book is because there are no "nice" pictures, then I am sorry, but this novel series isn't for you. Each volume typically only has 3 colored illustration. For the first volume, an insert image is done for each chapter (something like this: http://omg.wthax.org/img_0009.jpg), but from the raws that I have, those are removed from volume 2 onwards, leaving you with just 3 colored images a volume.

The target audience for this series is aimed at audiences that are more mature than the typical LN readers.

It's kind of disappointing to see the low interest in this title here. Volume 1 is the first novel in its book series to achieve one million sales, and it has went past three million as of June. Also a consistent performer in the novel ranking charts, and yet more than half are not interested? I don't know. I am not even hailing this for the reason that it's similar to Bungaku Shoujo. I find myself to be quite indifferent about that series, but for the past three volumes this novel has proved to be much more superior in every aspect as compared to that. Well, aside from the illustrations, or the lack-thereof.

If this is the reception this novel gets around here, then I might as well not bother with mentioning this series here ever again.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:Maybe because there aren't any nice pictures (save for the first page)? :D
I don't think that is the case. Just look at 'Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There' and 'Hyouka', it is a 99% yes. And besides, can someone give me an example where the "Yes, I want to see this translated" option is not winning aside from this?

Maybe someone want to do some trolling here, like with the translation poll last time.
zgmfx09a wrote:It's kind of disappointing to see the low interest in this title here. Volume 1 is the first novel in its book series to achieve one million sales, and it has went past three million as of June. Also a consistent performer in the novel ranking charts, and yet more than half are not interested? I don't know. I am not even hailing this for the reason that it's similar to Bungaku Shoujo. I find myself to be quite indifferent about that series, but for the past three volumes this novel has proved to be much more superior in every aspect as compared to that. Well, aside from the illustrations, or the lack-thereof.

If this is the reception this novel gets around here, then I might as well not bother with mentioning this series here ever again.
I'd say, don't bother with public reception, especially one as strange as this. Just do it if you want to (more like, please do it! :mrgreen: ). I'm really interested in this series you know.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

zgmfx09a wrote:
If the reason for not wanting to read this book is because there are no "nice" pictures, then I am sorry, but this novel series isn't for you. Each volume typically only has 3 colored illustration. For the first volume, an insert image is done for each chapter (something like this: http://omg.wthax.org/img_0009.jpg), but from the raws that I have, those are removed from volume 2 onwards, leaving you with just 3 colored images a volume.

The target audience for this series is aimed at audiences that are more mature than the typical LN readers.

It's kind of disappointing to see the low interest in this title here. Volume 1 is the first novel in its book series to achieve one million sales, and it has went past three million as of June. Also a consistent performer in the novel ranking charts, and yet more than half are not interested? I don't know. I am not even hailing this for the reason that it's similar to Bungaku Shoujo. I find myself to be quite indifferent about that series, but for the past three volumes this novel has proved to be much more superior in every aspect as compared to that. Well, aside from the illustrations, or the lack-thereof.

Sorry if I offended you with my joke -- I have read the first volume and enjoyed it. So much that I purchased a few more novels by the same author, although they didn't quite live up to my expectations. I was just searching for a reason why someone would not like the series, and thus mentioned the illustrations, since novels under the MF label tend to have less of them. ;)
Tony Yon
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tony Yon »

@zgmfx: if you read EEE's translations, probably you won't said it's not 'his novel'. ;)
well, it's probably just my own intrepretation, but i think he likes 'mysteries' or probably 'surprises'
@eust: in your opinion only, will this novel stand a chance with hakomari if compared? Or it's even better?
@arczyx: someone have a grudge against me perhaps..lolz..
Basically KIA
Tony Yon
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tony Yon »

ah...btw, thanks for the translations :)
Basically KIA
zgmfx09a
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zgmfx09a »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:Sorry if I offended you with my joke -- I have read the first volume and enjoyed it. So much that I purchased a few more novels by the same author, although they didn't quite live up to my expectations. I was just searching for a reason why someone would not like the series, and thus mentioned the illustrations, since novels under the MF label tend to have less of them. ;)
I am not really offended, but in the rare case that you are actually serious about this...... And also, looking at the general preference of the LNs over here, I do believe what you've raised may be true to quite a few people out there.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

Tony Yon wrote:@arczyx: someone have a grudge against me perhaps..lolz..
It must be one heck of a grudge then... :lol:
zgmfx09a wrote:And also, looking at the general preference of the LNs over here, I do believe what you've raised may be true to quite a few people out there.
Well, while it's true that most people here like ecchi series (like DxD), more "serious" novel also has their share of fans here (like me for example). However, even if the fans for this kind of series is a minority, to have a poll result like that is just....

I mean, isn't people usually just choose "Yes, I want to see this translated" without thinking? (or is it just me? :lol: )
Tony Yon
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tony Yon »

who knows... lolz... :D
Basically KIA

Return to “English”