[Old] Baka-Tsuki Android App: BakaReader

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

d&c
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Official Baka-Tsuki Android App: BakaReader Available no

Post by d&c »

Hey,
Its been a few pages, though I have been keeping up. However this hasn't been requested so I would like to: Can you put it up on the Kindle Fire store? I'd much appreciate that.

d&c
SpicyWolf
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by SpicyWolf »

Is there plans for an Iphone/Ipad version? If so, how soon till it would be available?
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

no no plans for an IOs version, not now and no in the future, at least not from andyrobo
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

SpicyWolf wrote:Is there plans for an Iphone/Ipad version? If so, how soon till it would be available?

However if you own a Blackberry Playbook Tablet, you will be able to use the Android Bakareader on it.

So not just for Android phones, but Blackberry tablets too!

:wink: :lol: :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Wakusie
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Wakusie »

Love this app >_> keeps me away from the "recent changes" webpage on my pc lol. Also good for a quick read through for spelling errors and grammar checks. (only it becomes a pain to find them on the pc again)

Anyways...

But a great app, I have it on my Galaxy Tablet and my Droid X ;) I use it to draw new people into the world of light novels. :D
Erakk
Astral Realm

Post by Erakk »

First of all, thanks for the app, its amazing.
On my galaxy s2, it runs smooth and the features are very good.
On a side note, just an idea: Is there anyway to implement a "save" feature? like, it saves the chapter and the position in the scroll you reached, some kind of bookmark?
I noticed that sometimes when i opened the app it went back to the start of the chapter. Just an idea though.
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor

Post by Wolfpup »

onizuka-gto wrote:
larethian wrote:does it support tablet screens? :D
It should do!

But iit might not show in the right aspect ratio, it depends if Andyrobo123 has taken into account of all those different types of tablet screens.

I know Android has a specific way of just "enabling" automatic aspect ratio,so you don't have to manually code in for every model available.

So if anyone has a Android tablet about, please try and give us feedback...thanks! :D
I would test this on the tablet i have if i was able to get either the apk file or it was on the SlideMe market as that is what my tablet has for downloading apps. :(
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
Kojiro_S
Kyonist

Post by Kojiro_S »

I tried disabling screen rotation from Android settings, but the paragraphs bookmarked still rolled back. Also tried pressing the back button before locking the phone so that it would be locked at the chapter selection screen instead of the page. Still didn't work.

However, for some reason not all novels seem to have this issue. What determines this bug's appearance appart from screen orientation? I dunno. :P

Ah, quick question before I forget again... does the update frequency work all the time, or only while connected? I was wondering if having it set to "daily" would be useless if the app tried to update at a time that the phone just happens to be disconnected from the net.

By the way, long time no see. I finally created an account after a few guest posts. :oops:
Ku ku ku~
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Welcome to Baka-Tsuki and thanks for the feedback!

Please leave a rating on the Android Market for him, with a very brief summary of the problem.

That way the Developer AndyRobo will know to look back here for more details.

:wink:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

Update should be out now with a fix for all new novels except Girl Presumptive which will take a little more time.
Kojiro_S wrote:I tried disabling screen rotation from Android settings, but the paragraphs bookmarked still rolled back. Also tried pressing the back button before locking the phone so that it would be locked at the chapter selection screen instead of the page. Still didn't work.
What chapters/novels do you have this problem for and which work? What phone/tablet are you using?
Kojiro_S wrote:Ah, quick question before I forget again... does the update frequency work all the time, or only while connected? I was wondering if having it set to "daily" would be useless if the app tried to update at a time that the phone just happens to be disconnected from the net.
It the app tries to update when the phone has no connection then you will not check for updates until the next time (e.g. 24 hours if you have it set to daily). I do plan to add something so if an update fails or some reason (e.g. no connection) it will try again in less time.
doubletaco wrote:the soft Menu button while reading has disappeared from the Honeycomb menu bar, rendering me unable to switch the colors to the white-on-black I like. I can still do this on my phone
I will look at fixing this soon, I haven't done any testing of my app on tablets yet. The next think i plan to look at is adding better support of tablets.
Lighthalzen wrote:In the case where the device is not connected to Wifi (I was reading on a Nook Color in a car) and 3G data connection is not available (Nook Color doesn't have 3G),
It becomes unnecessary to keep reminding the user about the connection error as you try to navigate the reader's downloaded content, because you either turned off Wifi or have no available wifi/data connection.
I have started to add a feature that will detect when the phone has no data connection and turn the errors off. It is not working yet but should be soon.

A lot of people are reporting not being able to download the app as their tables don't come with the official Android Market. I will look at hosting the apk file so it can be downloaded without the Android Market. I think this will be easier than uploading the app to all the different market apps out.
Baka-Tsuki reader for Android phones/tablets.
Search for "BakaReader" in Android market place or download from http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... bakareader
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor

Post by Wolfpup »

I found the App in an Android Community site and was able to DL the installer for the app there.
Here is the link for the direct download that I found :

Update:
That link will not get you the current version though.
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
Kojiro_S
Kyonist

Post by Kojiro_S »

andyrobo123 wrote:
Kojiro_S wrote:I tried disabling screen rotation from Android settings, but the paragraphs bookmarked still rolled back. Also tried pressing the back button before locking the phone so that it would be locked at the chapter selection screen instead of the page. Still didn't work.
What chapters/novels do you have this problem for and which work? What phone/tablet are you using?
More or less on every chapter I've tried, but I can't quite find a reason. One day it was working flawlessly with the latest Index NT chapter, and the other it was trolling me yet again in the same chapter.

I've noticed the issue seems to be magnified with huge chapters like the ones from Dai Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu; even though I sometimes was reaching the end of the chapter, when locking the screen the page would jump back to near the beginning when I unlocked the phone. However, I also noticed something important with this chapter: even though it was cached and being read in offline mode, it wasn't read all at once, but in 3 portions and took about 5 seconds to load completely.

What I saw was something like this:
  • The app opens a long chapter with previous bookmark near the end.
  • Chapter is opened from cache, but not all at once but split in parts. Part 1 loads.
  • App "remembers" where it was and goes to said paragraph. However, the paragraph has not loaded yet. Part 2 loads.
  • Part 3 loads. The bookmark was supposed to be here.
I've got an 8gb microSD memory and text-to-SD enabled. I'll try disabling it, maybe it's a cache reading speed issue. That's just a guess, though. I don't know if shorter chapters have this issue.

Since I had BakaReader installed ever since it was first released, I cleared all cache and uninstalled the app in case there was some residual data from early versions. It still happens.
Maybe adding a couple options to force portrait view and bookmarking/loading bookmark manually would be helpful in the meantime.

My phone is a Huawei u8100 with Eclair; wasn't rooted (now it is).
Ku ku ku~
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

Kojiro_S wrote:I've noticed the issue seems to be magnified with huge chapters like the ones from Dai Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu; even though I sometimes was reaching the end of the chapter, when locking the screen the page would jump back to near the beginning when I unlocked the phone. However, I also noticed something important with this chapter: even though it was cached and being read in offline mode, it wasn't read all at once, but in 3 portions and took about 5 seconds to load completely.

What I saw was something like this:

The app opens a long chapter with previous bookmark near the end.
Chapter is opened from cache, but not all at once but split in parts. Part 1 loads.
App "remembers" where it was and goes to said paragraph. However, the paragraph has not loaded yet. Part 2 loads.
Part 3 loads. The bookmark was supposed to be here.
Thanks for the description its been a BIG help and as saved my a load of time trying to recreate the problem. I think you are correct about what is causing it.

This is going to be a difficult problem to fix, due to the way the code works. I am currently working on improving the app on tablets, once I have finished that I will look at fixing this problem. So you will need to wait a bit longer for the fix.
Baka-Tsuki reader for Android phones/tablets.
Search for "BakaReader" in Android market place or download from http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... bakareader
Kojiro_S
Kyonist

Post by Kojiro_S »

No worries. Also, I've disabled "cache text to SD", and all chapters I've tried afterwards worked perfectly. Tried on small (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai), medium (To Aru Majutsu no Index: NT) and big (Toradora!) chapters and both locking the phone from chapter selection and inside the chapter. No issues at all.

Seems it was indeed related to the SD card. :lol:
Ku ku ku~
Esker
Astral Realm

Post by Esker »

First off, this app is remarkably convenient. I do have a suggestion/request though.

Would it be possible to hide volumes that aren't complete, or at least mark them? I don't care to read unfinished volumes so merely listing all the chapters available doesn't help me much. I actually have to check the wiki proper to find out if I can read a volume or not.

Return to “Developers and Code”