Infinite Stratos

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
98%
No (and why)
1%
Maybe (and why)
1%

Total votes: 1332

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Project Plea: Infinite Stratos (IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉)

Post by Teh_ping »

Thanks guys. I'm more proficient in Chinese though, since it's my mother tongue. I requested for the RAWs basically because I want to try and improve the accuracy.

As for why I said 7k views before I will work on it? It's not because i doubt the fanbase is big enough, it's to buy me time to finish up my other projects (Most notably Baka Test volume 3, should be done by End of February).
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Re: Infinite Stratos (IS)

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Javiersansano wrote:Hello there, I'm new at the forum.

Before all, I would like to thank the people who decided to translate IS, even if so far it is only a Teaser Project.

Because of its current condition, I would like to know, how many votes would be requiredin order to make IS no longer just a Teaser?

Sincerely,
Javiersansano
Whether a project is taken up is not by votes, this is due to the severe lack of translators in B-T. Unlike most translation groups(such as manga translations etc), which would take up projects by demand, B-T takes up projects by interest. Meaning that a project is a project only when a translator works on it, so no matter how many votes it gets, unless someone translates it, it is quite meaningless. On the other hand, even if everyone voted 'no', if a translator translates it and wishes to put it up as a project, we won't stop it either.

Hopefully that answers your question.

kuroishinigami wrote:Well, if this ever become a project, I'll help with vol 6. Can't guarantee about the speed though since English is not my first language and I need to consult the English Dictionary just to find the right word XD. And I would also need a proofreader who can understand a below standard English and fix it into a proper one XD.
As mentioned above, if you do work on vol 6 or any other volumes, once you hit the one-chapter requirement(as long as it is not too short), and you have shown interest in continuing the translations, we can make it into the project. However, we would HIGHLY recommend you to sign up for an account on the forums, and one at the wiki so we can keep track of your contributions and all.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
ShadowZeroHeart

Teh_ping wrote:Thanks guys. I'm more proficient in Chinese though, since it's my mother tongue. I requested for the RAWs basically because I want to try and improve the accuracy.

As for why I said 7k views before I will work on it? It's not because i doubt the fanbase is big enough, it's to buy me time to finish up my other projects (Most notably Baka Test volume 3, should be done by End of February).
Some others might help with the translations for IS, check the other IS thread out, someone said he won't mind helping out at vol 6 if IS is taken up as a project.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Javiersansano wrote:Hello there, I'm new at the forum.

Before all, I would like to thank the people who decided to translate IS, even if so far it is only a Teaser Project.

Because of its current condition, I would like to know, how many votes would be requiredin order to make IS no longer just a Teaser?

Sincerely,
Javiersansano
Whether a project is taken up is not by votes, this is due to the severe lack of translators in B-T. Unlike most translation groups(such as manga translations etc), which would take up projects by demand, B-T takes up projects by interest. Meaning that a project is a project only when a translator works on it, so no matter how many votes it gets, unless someone translates it, it is quite meaningless. On the other hand, even if everyone voted 'no', if a translator translates it and wishes to put it up as a project, we won't stop it either.

Hopefully that answers your question.

kuroishinigami wrote:Well, if this ever become a project, I'll help with vol 6. Can't guarantee about the speed though since English is not my first language and I need to consult the English Dictionary just to find the right word XD. And I would also need a proofreader who can understand a below standard English and fix it into a proper one XD.
As mentioned above, if you do work on vol 6 or any other volumes, once you hit the one-chapter requirement(as long as it is not too short), and you have shown interest in continuing the translations, we can make it into the project. However, we would HIGHLY recommend you to sign up for an account on the forums, and one at the wiki so we can keep track of your contributions and all.
Oh, by the way, I hace a question. If I have shown interest in the project but I can't translate regulary, what will happen?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Teh_ping wrote:Thanks guys. I'm more proficient in Chinese though, since it's my mother tongue. I requested for the RAWs basically because I want to try and improve the accuracy.

So how did you learn Japanese? In middle school?

As for me I studied (and am studying) in French but I can stilll write English though it's pretty bad. Chinese was learnt because it is my mother language.

Also, as for me, I'll continue volume 4 chapter one of IS and will eventually return translating Hidan no Aria, and will maybe submit a teaser for a project. Though Nera is pretty fast right now. ^^
Kira0802

Javiersansano
Astral Realm

Post by Javiersansano »

If you are asking for someone to "polish" the english translation, I would not have any problem with that. However, translating from japanese, or Chinesse into english, I would not be able to do that.

Please confirm
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Javiersansano wrote:
If you are asking for someone to "polish" the english translation, I would not have any problem with that. However, translating from japanese, or Chinesse into english, I would not be able to do that.

Please confirm
Great. If you can, would you try to "uniform the time tense" in chapter 1 of IS? There is a mix of past and present, and my punctuation is the original text's one. So would you like to first log in (so I could see who did what) in Baka-Tsuki and change it as soon as you can? It's not an obligation by the way.
Kira0802

ShadowZeroHeart

kira0802 wrote:Oh, by the way, I hace a question. If I have shown interest in the project but I can't translate regulary, what will happen?
Then you become like me, a mere shadow...

Basically, i am struggling for my studies, so my translation speed really varies... And it has been real slow these days. But B-T does not exactly not allow it, since it is a voluntary group of translators, and there is no one else for it really.
Javiersansano wrote:

Please confirm
Proofreading would mean to check the translation against the original text, to ensure that the meaning is not lost AS FAR AS POSSIBLE(its next to impossible to retain ALL of the intended meanings). But editors would also be welcome. The ideal situation would be:

Translator -> Proof-reader -> Editor

The translator simply translates to the best they can, and if no proof-reader is available, then the translator is trusted for his work. The editor would then help to convert it to a suitable piece of reading for the audience. Javier is applying for the job of Editor, and kuro is looking for a proofreader. Though it is different, an editor would still be required at the later end, so Javier, if you are still interested, you may still apply to help out as an editor.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Proofreading would mean to check the translation against the original text, to ensure that the meaning is not lost AS FAR AS POSSIBLE(its next to impossible to retain ALL of the intended meanings). But editors would also be welcome. The ideal situation would be:

Translator -> Proof-reader -> Editor

The translator simply translates to the best they can, and if no proof-reader is available, then the translator is trusted for his work. The editor would then help to convert it to a suitable piece of reading for the audience. Javier is applying for the job of Editor, and kuro is looking for a proofreader. Though it is different, an editor would still be required at the later end, so Javier, if you are still interested, you may still apply to help out as an editor.
so that's how it goes O_O. Sorry, still new at this and I don't really know the difference between Proof-reader and Editor XD. A proof-reader will be excellent, but an editor will be okay too I guess(I'll try to describe the word I'm looking for for the editor to fix. So to start translating I only need to sign up to the wiki and here right?
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

Sorry, the above poster was me. I'd like to start translating before vol 7 come out next month XD. Where can I get help to start since Vol 6 hasn't been listed in the teaser project yet? XD
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

I'll help you with the links. Go ahead and work on it.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

or you can just add it yourself, and you can start working on it anytime. btw, is this your first time translating? if it is, I suggest translate about 5 to 10 pages. then let us know whether you really want to do it. even though there is no contractual commitment nor deadlines, it's good to get an idea on the effort needed first. :) you can do it slowly though. besides, I doubt volume 7 will come out anytime soon. is the author discharged already?
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

larethian wrote:or you can just add it yourself, and you can start working on it anytime. btw, is this your first time translating? if it is, I suggest translate about 5 to 10 pages. then let us know whether you really want to do it. even though there is no contractual commitment nor deadlines, it's good to get an idea on the effort needed first. :) you can do it slowly though. besides, I doubt volume 7 will come out anytime soon. is the author discharged already?
Fully agree. Translating is a difficult job. At least IS doesn't have that much complicated words. If you decide to stop, it would be normal. After all, I too stopped after translating 15% of a chapter, went on hiatus and finally completed chapter 1 volume 2 of hidan no aria around 2 months ago. I recommend you to translate the dialogue+monologue. Also, you can still ask Teh_ping to help you with some parts which you don't understand. Just post what you don't know and we will tell you. After all, we are lacking translaters for new projects.

Also, volume 7 will be out in around two or three months. it depends on the author's health. And I still didn't get to read volume 5-6...snif...
Kira0802

Javiersansano
Astral Realm

Post by Javiersansano »

fine by me ShadowZeroHeart. Basically
, you want me to check on the grammars, and stuff, to make it readable. I'll do my best. And kira0802, I'll try to check it as soon as posible.

take care
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

Volume 7 is already scheduled on March of 24th in Media Bunko's official site, and I have translated manga before, and I know how much of a hassle it is, and for novel probably even more XD. That's why I pick a project that is conversation heavy like this(which means less work per page for me XD), and not a series that is description heavy like Index of Ben-to. Picking the right english word is still my biggest problem though since my English vocabulary is still lacking XD, that's why I'm asking for a good editor or proof-reader that can help me with this aspect XD.
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです

Return to “Abandoned”