Log Horizon

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find Log Horizon?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 843

Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Log Horizon (ログ・ホライズン)

Post by Naeko »

Thank you very much KuroiHikari for your guidance and changes to the Log Horizon page to reduce the chance of confusion there between the Web and Printed versions. That helped a LOT!

Looks like translated chapters are appearing in the Log Horizon page at last. It wasn't me, but some of the people from the 4chan /a/ Log Horizon translation thread that had permission and were requested by the translator to upload the material. Some people on 4chan /a/ indicated they bought the books so hopefully HQ light novel illustration scans will appear soon enough to replace some of the lower-res scans already out there. Hopefully, as the word spreads, people will switch from editing the google docs versions and put their efforts into editing the BT Log Horizon translations instead.

Log Horizon translation page at Baka-Tsuki
guardianknight
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by guardianknight »

I went through chapter 1 and made some basic spelling corrections. I read all the chapters on pastebin already and noticed some grammar errors but I have to find them again and think of how best to go about fixing them since I can't read Japanese and don't have the original text for context. I will work on spelling fixes for the other chapters as well and will get to the grammar as soon as possible.

*Edit* There is a TL note in part 5 of chapter 1 that I wanted to turn into a reference with a link but I have no idea how. I haven't done much editing of wiki type pages. Could someone add that reference or give me a quick rundown? Looked at the format guidelines page and got the basics but couldn't quite figure it out all the way.

*2nd Edit* Last portion of part 6 chapter 1 was missing. I added it in from the pastebin. I haven't gotten to look at the other chapters yet. Will do so tomorrow if no one else has done it by then.
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

guardianknight wrote:I went through chapter 1 and made some basic spelling corrections. I read all the chapters on pastebin already and noticed some grammar errors but I have to find them again and think of how best to go about fixing them since I can't read Japanese and don't have the original text for context. I will work on spelling fixes for the other chapters as well and will get to the grammar as soon as possible.

*Edit* There is a TL note in part 5 of chapter 1 that I wanted to turn into a reference with a link but I have no idea how. I haven't done much editing of wiki type pages. Could someone add that reference or give me a quick rundown? Looked at the format guidelines page and got the basics but couldn't quite figure it out all the way.

*2nd Edit* Last portion of part 6 chapter 1 was missing. I added it in from the pastebin. I haven't gotten to look at the other chapters yet. Will do so tomorrow if no one else has done it by then.
You can look at other translated sections the code to do the link when you check it out from the edit window.
guardianknight
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by guardianknight »

shido wrote:
You can look at other translated sections the code to do the link when you check it out from the edit window.
I should have thought of that. That is what I get for editing late at night. Thanks for the info. Will look at it and make changes tomorrow.

*Edit* I added the references as originally posted by the translator. They might be changed or removed after we get some terminology guidelines in place, but for now I just wrote exactly what he had.

One question I had was I noticed that this guy has been translating the name of the game as "Elder Tales" but the anime is translating it as "Elder Tale". It is not a huge difference but I seen both in the light novel translation and want to go through and make them all the same. Which version of the name should we use?
shido
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

guardianknight wrote:
shido wrote:
I should have thought of that. That is what I get for editing late at night. Thanks for the info. Will look at it and make changes tomorrow.

*Edit* I added the references as originally posted by the translator. They might be changed or removed after we get some terminology guidelines in place, but for now I just wrote exactly what he had.

One question I had was I noticed that this guy has been translating the name of the game as "Elder Tales" but the anime is translating it as "Elder Tale". It is not a huge difference but I seen both in the light novel translation and want to go through and make them all the same. Which version of the name should we use?
From the author's personal website he has it as エルダー・テイル which is Elder Tale. I would go what the author originally had it.
guardianknight
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by guardianknight »

Thanks. That is one of the downfalls of not being able to read a word of Japanese. I am going out for about 2-3 hours but when I get back I will go through all the current chapters we have and change it to Elder Tale.
Irina Akashira
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Irina Akashira »

Hello

I just want to say to the translator/s. Tank you very much for translade this fantastic novel
guardianknight
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by guardianknight »

Updated the name of the game world to "Elder Tale" in all instances for the chapters we have and got rid of Elder Tales. Also made a couple of small spelling fixes that I noticed while I was at it.

One thing that has really been bugging me about this novel is the changing from present tense to past tense and back again in the span of a single sentence or two. Normally novels are usually told in the past tense as a "story that has already happened being retold" and with dialogue usually being present tense. However I don't read a bit of Japanese, and don't have the first volume to look at, so I have no idea if Log Horizon would follow that format or not. I want to go in and at least make all the paragraphs have matching tense but I am unsure whether to use past or present. I don't want to assume one thing and then find out it wasn't how the author wrote it. Can anyone with access to the original material help me out here?
Azyrion

Post by Azyrion »

guardianknight wrote:Updated the name of the game world to "Elder Tale" in all instances for the chapters we have and got rid of Elder Tales. Also made a couple of small spelling fixes that I noticed while I was at it.

One thing that has really been bugging me about this novel is the changing from present tense to past tense and back again in the span of a single sentence or two. Normally novels are usually told in the past tense as a "story that has already happened being retold" and with dialogue usually being present tense. However I don't read a bit of Japanese, and don't have the first volume to look at, so I have no idea if Log Horizon would follow that format or not. I want to go in and at least make all the paragraphs have matching tense but I am unsure whether to use past or present. I don't want to assume one thing and then find out it wasn't how the author wrote it. Can anyone with access to the original material help me out here?
I had the same issue when I was once editing SnRK . From what I've been told the Japanese/Chinese languages don't have clear past tenses like western languages have. So it's OK to translate it either way as long it uniform throughout the novel. So I would put it in past tense to match western standard.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

guardianknight wrote:Updated the name of the game world to "Elder Tale" in all instances for the chapters we have and got rid of Elder Tales. Also made a couple of small spelling fixes that I noticed while I was at it.
Honestly it could quite easily have supposed to have been the plural version. Given Japanese is plural-less, when they use English they don't necessarily pick the one they mean (consciously or unconsciously). I'd use the plural version ("Elder Tales" in parallal to the "Elder Scrolls" series of games), but it's entirely arbitrary unless the author/company has actually got it written in English somewhere.
guardianknight wrote:One thing that has really been bugging me about this novel is the changing from present tense to past tense and back again in the span of a single sentence or two. Normally novels are usually told in the past tense as a "story that has already happened being retold" and with dialogue usually being present tense. However I don't read a bit of Japanese, and don't have the first volume to look at, so I have no idea if Log Horizon would follow that format or not. I want to go in and at least make all the paragraphs have matching tense but I am unsure whether to use past or present. I don't want to assume one thing and then find out it wasn't how the author wrote it. Can anyone with access to the original material help me out here?
Useful thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5508

General summary: Characters speaking are present tense; narration is usually past tense in English, but not necessarily so in Japanese, but when translated it's usually translated as past tense.

In general I recall the 'standard' on B-T is past tense narration, present tense spoken. But I'm pretty sure there are exceptions.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
guardianknight
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by guardianknight »

Thanks for the advice. I will work on the tense next time I get some free time (probably tomorrow night).

I could see the name as either Elder Tale or Elder Tales, but I think I will stick with "Tale" for now until we get a head boss for this project that lays down the law. I was watching the anime again today and they call it "Elder Tale" in English when pronouncing it, so I am going to stick with that.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

So, there is one more thing this project needs before it can be decided upon by the staff whether or not it is fit to appear on the Baka-Tsuki projects menu. That would be a translator posting in this thread that s/he is working on this project.

**FOLLOWUP**
Until the thread expires, there is interesting auxilary translated material in the 4chan thread for Vol.5 Chap 5 translation at:
[link removed upon licensing]
Last edited by Naeko on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

guardianknight wrote:I could see the name as either Elder Tale or Elder Tales, but I think I will stick with "Tale" for now until we get a head boss for this project that lays down the law. I was watching the anime again today and they call it "Elder Tale" in English when pronouncing it, so I am going to stick with that.
That's more then enough reason. Then again you can get the continual "it's wrong!" arguments from people who don't understand the reason why, like the whole Phoenix vs Phenix thing from DxD. >.>
Irina Akashira
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Irina Akashira »

Can someone respond a question about this novel, and SAO too?

I've seen and heard the term "solo player" for the solitary players. What is this term's origin? maybe for the castilian/spanish word "solo" (lit. alone)?
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Irina Akashira wrote:Can someone respond a question about this novel, and SAO too?

I've seen and heard the term "solo player" for the solitary players. What is this term's origin? maybe for the castilian/spanish word "solo" (lit. alone)?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/solo "without a companion : alone <fly solo>"
Predates MMO's by nearly 300 years.

In terms of RPGs, the context of "solo adventures" and "solo player" dates back to 1976 with the module "Buffalo Castle" for the 2nd P&P RPG in existance (from memory): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnels_%2 ... adventures

</your-RPG-history-lesson-for-today>

Return to “Abandoned”