Gakusentoshi Asterisk

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
100%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
0%
No (Please give a reason)
0%

Total votes: 1282

HolyWing
Astral Realm

Re: Gakusentoshi Asterisk

Post by HolyWing »

Hey I was just wondering if anyone was going to do a teaser for this novel, or if its going to be translated since I really enjoyed the manga and hope this gets translated.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

HolyWing wrote:Hey I was just wondering if anyone was going to do a teaser for this novel, or if its going to be translated since I really enjoyed the manga and hope this gets translated.
I want to translate this novel (J-E). I have already find what I can use as terminology, but regarding the Name of Places, Competitions or Festivals, I'm not sure of the Translation, so I want if possible that you make some corrections here:
Spoiler! :
List of characters:

 星導館学園 - Star Guide Hall School

 天霧 綾斗(あまぎり あやと) - Amagiri Ayato

 ユリス=アレクシア・フォン・リースフォルト - Julis = Alexia Van Riessfeld

 沙々宮 紗夜(ささみや さや) - Sasamiya Saya

 クローディア・エンフィールド - Claudia Enfield

 刀藤 綺凛(とうどう きりん) - Todo Kirin

 レスター・マクフェイル - Leicester McPhail

 夜吹 英士郎(やぶき えいしろう) - Yabuki Eishiro

 アルルカント・アカデミー -

 エルネスタ・キューネ - Ernest Kuhne

 カミラ・パレート - Camilla Pareto

Glossary (Terminology explanation)

水上学園都市「六花」 - Academy City on water

 星導館学園 – Star Guide Hall School

 聖ガラードワース学園 - St. Garrard Worth Academy

 界龍(ジェロン)第七学院 - World Dragon (Geron Corporation) 7th Institute

 アルルカント・アカデミー -

 レヴォルフ黒学院 - Revolf Black Institute

 クインヴェール女学園 - Queen Veil Woman Academy

その他 - Others

 落星雨(インベルティア) - Inber Tia

 統合企業財体 - Integrated Enterprise Foundation

 星武祭(フェスタ) - Star Wars Festival (Festival)

 星武憲章(ステラ・カルタ) - Star Wars Charter (STELLA Cards)

 万応素(マナ) - ...(Mana)

 星脈世代(ジェネステラ) - Starpulse Generation (Gene Stella)

 星辰力(プラーナ) - Stars Power (Prana)

 落星工学 - Falling Star Engineering

 マナダイト - Mana Daito

 ウルム=マナダイト - Ulm = Mana Daito

 煌式武装(ルークス) - ...(Lux)

 純星煌式武装(オーガルクス) - ...(Ogre Lux)

 黒炉の魔剣(セル=べレスタ) - Demon Sword of the Black Furnace (Cell = Berest)

 在名祭祀書(ネームド・カルツ) - Provinces Name Ritual Manual (Named Cults)
That's only a part.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

So you already have the JP raws and will begin translating after terminology is confirmed? Just wondering...
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Rohan123 wrote:So you already have the JP raws and will begin translating after terminology is confirmed? Just wondering...
It's what I intend to do.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

Okay, good luck on your translations then. Hope all goes well.
Looking forward to it. :)
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

First half. I'll get to the rest later today hopefully once my brain has cooled off. :)
Spoiler! :
 ユリス=アレクシア・フォン・リースフォルト - Julis = Alexia Van Riessfeld
According to book: "Julis-Alexia van Riessfeld"

 クローディア・エンフィールド - Claudia Enfield
She sounds British. :)

 レスター・マクフェイル - Leicester McPhail
Probably "Lester MacPhail". Leicester is a town in the UK.

 アルルカント・アカデミー -
"Harlequin Academy". Context for this? I'm almost certain this is the name, it's just not a person's name. :) (I can explain how I got to here from there, but it's not that important. :P )

 エルネスタ・キューネ - Ernest Kuhne
I was going to say "Coon", but they're both germanic names, so you win. :)

 カミラ・パレート - Camilla Pareto
Both Italian, so looks good. (Yay for the Pareto principle!)

Glossary (Terminology explanation)

 聖ガラードワース学園 - St. Garrard Worth Academy
IMO, this should be "St Garradsworth Academy" (or "Garradworth"), in the pattern of "Wordsworth" and so on style of surnames. Also I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a period after the 'St', but that might be a US vs rest-of-world thing.

 界龍(ジェロン)第七学院 - World Dragon (Geron Corporation) 7th Institute
Where's the 'Corporation' coming from? In any event, assuming that ジェロン is 'geron', it's possibly relating to 'old people' or 'elders', as in 'a gerontocracy' which is a country/group ruled by a group of elders. Again, I'm going to need context for confirmation. :)

 レヴォルフ黒学院 - Revolf Black Institute
No idea on this one, I guess 'Revolf' is as good as it gets, unless there's something obvious (again) from context that explains it.

 クインヴェール女学園 - Queen Veil Woman Academy
"Queen" is normally long (クイーン), I'm guessing it's the double-barrelled surname "Quinn Vale Girls Academy" ("Quinn-Vale"?) (sounds like a British girls' boarding school).
Edit: Noticed a couple were actually listed in the colour pages with English names. >.>
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Part 2...
Spoiler! :
その他 - Others

"Rain of Falling Stars (Ember Tears)" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Two_tektites.JPG Technically tektites are formed from terrestrial ejecta from a meteorite impact, but that's splitting hairs.)

Wouldn't this be "Star Warrior Festival"? Or "Star Warriors Festival"? As far as the parenthetic "Festival" goes, since they're using the more 'exotic' Japanese-English "festival" as the shorthand for it, it would be appropriate to use a more exotic alternative in English, maybe "Fiesta" (English-Spanish) or "Festa" (English-Italian)?

Again, I think those Kanji read closer to "Star Warrior" IMO, but I don't know the context. Also, "Stella Carta" as in "Magna Carta". http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E% ... B%E3%82%BF

 万応素(マナ) - ...(Mana)
...WTF? Only thing I can think of is using the 万 in it's sense of 'all' (万能/all purpose, 万事/everything, 万人/everyone, etc), so you get something like "all accepted principle"; I guess they're trying to imply it's the the equivalent of the "Grand Unified Theory" or something.

I think the 'Gene Stella' is probably the short form of 'Generation Stella', which would be 'Gen-Stella' ('Gen. Stella' looks wonky in English, and the only other option would be 'Genstella' which is just as unpleasant...).

"Stars' Power"? Honestly I can't think of a form of that, that doesn't sound odd in English. (When you think 'Star Power', you don't think, "celestial bodies", rather "people who's only achievement in life is that they're famous". </cynical> )

(I approve of this weird mental image.)

 マナダイト - Mana Daito
No idea.

Even less of an idea. :( Definitely not the city in Germany though...

 煌式武装(ルークス) - ...(Lux)
"Shining form arms" ('arms' as in 'armaments'). And I thought 'lux' was supposed to be in the form as written below, not extended out as 'luux'. >.< But, whatever.

"Pure star..." (whatever is decided on the above). And yeah, 'Ogre Lux' is the only thing I can work out for the 'English' name... silly as it sounds.

"Cursed Sword of the Black Furnace" I would think would be a more literal translation, but I guess 'demon' works, again context. I'm guessing they're using the = as a fancy hypen again, so that's probably something like 'cell-blaster', but, again, context. :(

(*squints at wikipedia*) Ritual? Cults? 72 names? Sigh. Here comes Ars Goetia again. Let's hope there's an authoritative source on how to spell 'Phenex' this time. >.>
I just hope there's no magical-girl style transformation sequence when they invoke their
Spoiler! :
Pure Star Shining Form Arms: Ultra Lux!
>.>
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

denormative wrote:Part 2...
Spoiler! :
その他 - Others

"Rain of Falling Stars (Ember Tears)" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Two_tektites.JPG Technically tektites are formed from terrestrial ejecta from a meteorite impact, but that's splitting hairs.)

Wouldn't this be "Star Warrior Festival"? Or "Star Warriors Festival"? As far as the parenthetic "Festival" goes, since they're using the more 'exotic' Japanese-English "festival" as the shorthand for it, it would be appropriate to use a more exotic alternative in English, maybe "Fiesta" (English-Spanish) or "Festa" (English-Italian)?

Again, I think those Kanji read closer to "Star Warrior" IMO, but I don't know the context. Also, "Stella Carta" as in "Magna Carta". http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E% ... B%E3%82%BF

 万応素(マナ) - ...(Mana)
...WTF? Only thing I can think of is using the 万 in it's sense of 'all' (万能/all purpose, 万事/everything, 万人/everyone, etc), so you get something like "all accepted principle"; I guess they're trying to imply it's the the equivalent of the "Grand Unified Theory" or something.

I think the 'Gene Stella' is probably the short form of 'Generation Stella', which would be 'Gen-Stella' ('Gen. Stella' looks wonky in English, and the only other option would be 'Genstella' which is just as unpleasant...).

"Stars' Power"? Honestly I can't think of a form of that, that doesn't sound odd in English. (When you think 'Star Power', you don't think, "celestial bodies", rather "people who's only achievement in life is that they're famous". </cynical> )

(I approve of this weird mental image.)

 マナダイト - Mana Daito
No idea.

Even less of an idea. :( Definitely not the city in Germany though...

 煌式武装(ルークス) - ...(Lux)
"Shining form arms" ('arms' as in 'armaments'). And I thought 'lux' was supposed to be in the form as written below, not extended out as 'luux'. >.< But, whatever.

"Pure star..." (whatever is decided on the above). And yeah, 'Ogre Lux' is the only thing I can work out for the 'English' name... silly as it sounds.

"Cursed Sword of the Black Furnace" I would think would be a more literal translation, but I guess 'demon' works, again context. I'm guessing they're using the = as a fancy hypen again, so that's probably something like 'cell-blaster', but, again, context. :(

(*squints at wikipedia*) Ritual? Cults? 72 names? Sigh. Here comes Ars Goetia again. Let's hope there's an authoritative source on how to spell 'Phenex' this time. >.>
I just hope there's no magical-girl style transformation sequence when they invoke their
Spoiler! :
Pure Star Shining Form Arms: Ultra Lux!
>.>
Thanks. You help me a lot. But I have a questin about
Spoiler! :
 煌式武装(ルークス) - ...(Lux)
For that, can it be "Shining type armaments"?
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

setsuna86 wrote:Thanks. You help me a lot. But I have a questin about
Spoiler! :
 煌式武装(ルークス) - ...(Lux)
For that, can it be "Shining type armaments"?
BTW, I updated Julis-Alexia's name with the 'correct' formatting/words. I forgot her's was one of the few listed in the front of the novel. >.>
Spoiler! :
Technically 'Shining style armaments' is the direct translation for the character: http://www.edrdg.org/jmdictdb/cgi-bin/e ... 319060&a=2 it's just used as the suffix character in the word for "form (as opposed to substance)" so I guess I fudged that a little. Now that I'm thinking about it again, I think style works nicer. I guess it depends whether you perceive it to be more as a 'concrete thing' (like a weapon) so 'type' would work better, or an 'abstract thing' (like a martial art), so 'style' would work better.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

There is also. Can you please help me again?
Spoiler! :
 細剣型 – Thin Sword Type

 《アスペラ・スピーナ》 – 《Aspera Spina》

 《魔女(ストレガ)》 - 《Witch (Strega)》

 《華焔の魔女(グリユーエンローゼ)》 - 《The Petalblaze Witch (…) 》

 流星闘技(メテオアーツ) - Falling Stars Competition (Meteor Arts)

 《パン=ドラ》 – 《Pan-Dora》

 《千見の盟主(パルカ・モルタ)》 – 《The Master of The Thousand eyes (Palker-Molter) 》

 《疾風迅雷(しっぷうじんらい)》 – 《Gale Thunderclap》

 《魔術師(ダンテ)》 – 《Magician (Dante) 》

 《ヴァルディッシュ=レオ》 – 《Valdish Leo》

《影星》 - 《Shadow star》
cramped
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by cramped »

影星 literally means "film star" in chinese
Patron God of NTRed
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Name updates since I've got my paws on the books:
Spoiler! :
v1:
ユリス=アレクシア・フォン・リースフォルト - Julis = Alexia Van Riessfeld
Julis-Alexia van Riessfeld

天霧 綾斗(あまぎり あやと) - Amagiri Ayato

沙々宮 紗夜(ささみや さや) - Sasamiya Saya

クローディア・エンフィールド - Claudia Enfield

Weapon named "Ser-Versta".

v2:
エルネスタ・キューネ - Ernest Kuhne
This is a chick; I was thinking there were too many guys names in the list: Ernesta Kühne. And yes, they did include umlats because they hate you. (Unless you're European, so you're used to all the altGr notation by now. :) )

カミラ・パレート - Camilla Pareto
This one's right.

刀藤 綺凛(とうどう きりん) - Todo Kirin
Surprised I didn't notice this before, but you're missing a two-u's: Toudou Kirin

There's also a sword called 'Senbakiri' but no kanji for it I can see. :(

v3:
... annoying. .jp wikipedia hasn't been updated with v3 info it seems, so I have to type things. :(

イレーネ・ウルザイズ
Irene Urzaiz

プリシラ・ウルザイズ
Priscilal Urzaiz

An axe/hammery weapon called 'Gravisheath'.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

denormative wrote:Name updates since I've got my paws on the books:
Spoiler! :
v1:
ユリス=アレクシア・フォン・リースフォルト - Julis = Alexia Van Riessfeld
Julis-Alexia van Riessfeld

天霧 綾斗(あまぎり あやと) - Amagiri Ayato

沙々宮 紗夜(ささみや さや) - Sasamiya Saya

クローディア・エンフィールド - Claudia Enfield

Weapon named "Ser-Versta".

v2:
エルネスタ・キューネ - Ernest Kuhne
This is a chick; I was thinking there were too many guys names in the list: Ernesta Kühne. And yes, they did include umlats because they hate you. (Unless you're European, so you're used to all the altGr notation by now. :) )

カミラ・パレート - Camilla Pareto
This one's right.

刀藤 綺凛(とうどう きりん) - Todo Kirin
Surprised I didn't notice this before, but you're missing a two-u's: Toudou Kirin

There's also a sword called 'Senbakiri' but no kanji for it I can see. :(

v3:
... annoying. .jp wikipedia hasn't been updated with v3 info it seems, so I have to type things. :(

イレーネ・ウルザイズ
Irene Urzaiz

プリシラ・ウルザイズ
Priscilal Urzaiz

An axe/hammery weapon called 'Gravisheath'.
Thanks. I think now I can begin the translation.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Spoiler! :
 細剣型 – Thin Sword Type
Technically accurate. Though "Rapier" (if it has a long thin blade with a fancy hilt) or Épée (if it's more of a dueling-style weapon) would be accurate English terms for that vague a sword description. Then again they're both stabbing weapons; probably needs a picture of the weapon or the weapon in motion before determining exactly what to call it. :P

Given the art looks like it's a clone of IS, if a weapon's blade is thinner then an average human, that probably means it fits into the 'thin' category. ;)

 《アスペラ・スピーナ》 – 《Aspera Spina》
... Latin? Can't these guys stick with one language at a time? "Rough Spine"? "Rough Thorn"? ("Rough Spike"?)

 《魔女(ストレガ)》 - 《Witch (Strega)》
... Italian via Latin "Strega" =~ "Witch". (Now we're up to three (in addition to Japanese...) ).

 《華焔の魔女(グリユーエンローゼ)》 - 《The Petalblaze Witch (…) 》
"Witch of the Blazing Flowers". Have you got a page reference to the (グリユーエンローゼ)? Since I'm pretty sure that's a typo and it should be "グリューエン", that is Danish for 'horror' (and is the base of 'grusom' for cruel/terrible, which is a nice parallel with gruesome in English, which has similar attributes; welcome to languages that keep stealing from older ones...). So after all that verbiage, probably "(Horrible Rose)"? Or "Terror Rose"? Or something. ("Four! Four languages! Ha! Ha! Ha!" Sorry... childhood flashback, and I'm a feeling a bit silly since I should have been asleep two hours ago. :P )

 流星闘技(メテオアーツ) - Falling Stars Competition (Meteor Arts)
流 isn't falling, though I'm pretty sure I'll have the 'star' Kanji memorised after having to deal with this series. :| "Way of the Stars Competition (Meteor Arts)" ('Way' as in 'school of', or 'style').

 《パン=ドラ》 – 《Pan-Dora》
... yeah, no. I'm going to assume this is something related to the Goddess, and The Jar Which Should Not Have Been Opened until I know what it relates to. Otherwise you're going to get "One Dollar Bread". >.> (Or "Gilded Pan".)

 《千見の盟主(パルカ・モルタ)》 – 《The Master of The Thousand eyes (Palker-Molter) 》
Literally it's "Leader of the Thousand Eyes", but 'Master' sounds fancier; until at least we find out it doesn't fit anyway. "(Parca Morta)", Italian, something like "Sparing Death"? ('Sparing' as in 'spare', not 'sparring' as in 'dueling'.) Some sort of weapon that paralyses people rather then kills them?

 《疾風迅雷(しっぷうじんらい)》 – 《Gale Thunderclap》
"With Lightning Speed" or more likely just "Lightning Speed". That's a pretty new entry in jmdict, no wonder it wasn't obvious to much of anything else. Just tossed it into google translate and it even has no idea. :?

 《魔術師(ダンテ)》 – 《Magician (Dante) 》
This line intentionally left blank.

 《ヴァルディッシュ=レオ》 – 《Valdish Leo》
Waledisch is real surname, but that looks like the name of a weapon or something if it's like the others.

《影星》 - 《Shadow star》
That's what google translate tells me, so I don't quite trust it. :? The problem is 影 can actually mean 'light' in some instances, along with 'reflection' and a few other things. Granted 'starlight' is those two kanji in reverse order so 'shadow star' is as good a guess as any at this point.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hiyono »

Just how many series are you planning on working on setsuna? As far as I'm aware, the list now includes Vanadis, Mahouka, Rakuin no Monshou, and now this. Aren't you worried you might be spreading yourself a bit thin?
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)

Return to “Abandoned”