Monogatari Series

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: bakemonogatari + other monogatari series

Post by larethian »

rock96 wrote:
Spoiler! :
larethian wrote: First, I didn't previously see Romancer asking for permission to translate the series on baka-tsuki (I might have missed it, I know I missed stuff every now and then due to periodic viewing of new posts on my mobile and not going through all of them; my bad if I did). I interpreted him or her uploading here (still baka-tsuki) and wanting someone to look through it as an intention of redoing stuff on baka-tsuki. So, second, to verify, I just asked a question about that intention, and Kira's answer sounded to me that Romancer is going to redo everything. And in my following post, all my points are pretty much in question format, starting with conditional "if that's the case" without jumping to conclusion that it is indeed Romancer's intention; no antagonistic emoticons, exclamation marks, caps, or any strong statement, AFAIK. So I don't understand the antagonism here --> "Your objection is invalid."? I just want to protect the previous contributor's effort from getting overwritten in future, even if Romancer completed the whole volume. Of course, if Romancer is just doing it as an exercise for practice or leisure, then it's perfectly fine. And yes, it's my bad that it never occurred to me someone will actually retranslate something as an exercise, since the same can be done using other chapters, as the effort is not trivial.
Hold on. I wrote post above without any intention to offend you. I just clarified some facts in somewhat strict manner. If my words could be seem as rude I apologize. Even if I cannot understand the reason for this sudden outburst.
Well, if even Teh Ping commented, "before it gets out of hand", I guess we interpreted what you wrote as an indication that you are pissed with my questions. But since you've clarified, all is well. ^^
kevinpura
Astral Realm

Post by kevinpura »

I have a complete series of all monogatari but they are all in vietnamese...can anyone translate them????
Romancer
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Romancer »

Karen Bee 003 is up! Enjoy!

I'll be posting in the official baka-tsuki page from Karen 004 onwards.

I didn't want to put Karen 001~003 there since I wasn't sure how to upload an alternate version and was worried I'd overwrite the original version!

I've been too busy to tinker around with the scripts and functions, but I'll get to it one day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

kevinpura wrote:I have a complete series of all monogatari but they are all in vietnamese...can anyone translate them????
Maybe Shera? :D
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Vistritium
Astral Realm

Post by Vistritium »

Thank you guys for your translation work, I really appreciate.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

A little heads up.

Nekomonogatari (White) / 猫物語 (白) does not have chapters 8 and 13, the author intentionally left them out.
ismanpr
Astral Realm

Post by ismanpr »

Hiro Hayase wrote:A little heads up.

Nekomonogatari (White) / 猫物語 (白) does not have chapters 8 and 13, the author intentionally left them out.
Yup,

I think you should check first paragraph of chapter 9, it actually kind of funny thing made by the author.. :D

Keep translating guys!! thanks for the effort!
iamnuff
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamnuff »

i know im late to the party, but the wiki everyone is mentioning is

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... A.EF.BC.89

right?

so the ones translated are

(Koyomi Vamp)
Hitagi Crab
Mayoi Snail
Suruga Monkey (only 30%)

then
none of
Nadeko Snake (0%)
and only chapter 3 of
Tsubasa Cat (very strange, why just chapter 3?)

then chapters 1/2/3/5 (no chapter4?) of
Karen Bee

none of
Tsukihi Phoenix

chapter 1 of
Tsubasa Family

and 26 chapters of (those 26 chapters being labled 1-7 then 9-12 then 14-27, then 52, because actually labeling your chapters normally would be just silly wouldn't it?)
Tsubasa Tiger

then nothing after that.

this is correct?
Shikijin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shikijin »

iamnuff wrote: and only chapter 3 of
Tsubasa Cat (very strange, why just chapter 3?)
It's the chapter with the date of Araragi and Senjougahara.
then chapters 1/2/3/5 (no chapter4?) of
Karen Bee
Chapter 4 was not translated because of problems with rendering Hachikuji's wordplay. Canonrap tries to translate wordplay by inventing another wordplay. I think sometimes it's just plainly impossible to do.

Which brings me to this question: would the readers be fine with just having the joke explained rather than translated? I can try to rack my wit despite English not being my mothertongue, but in the end I don't think I am doing justice to Nisio's inventiveness.
chapter 1 of
Tsubasa Family
Good news, I have started working on chapter 2. It will take a while though.

Oh, and Omimon translated chapter 1 of Nadeko Medusa, but that's because it was very easy to translate, he won't do the rest.
iamnuff
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamnuff »

well, in regards to the wordplay, if there is nothing else you can do, then just translate it with a note explaining it, sometimes thats all you can do.

to be honest, the word jokes are only a small part of what interests most of us anyway.
Shikijin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shikijin »

I've finished the first draft of Kuro chapter 2. The second draft should be the final one.

Btw, I wanted to address the issue of verbal tenses. As you may know, in Japanese you can freely switch between present and past forms. I think in Japanese the present is the tense for description, and the imperfect the tense for narration, or something like that. When I translated Kizu I left it as it was because it was simpler. Now I was trying to put things in order, but I see there times when Araragi directly addresses the reader, so I must use the present. Nisio is really all around difficult to translate. I see someone mentioned the narrative tenses even in the guidelines.

Some jokes also are really better left untranslated because they reference something else later in the chapter. This chapter will have plenty of notes.
Zi-Chan
Astral Realm

Post by Zi-Chan »

Hi all,
just wanted to say thank you thank you thank you for the translation work.
I just finished reading Kizumonogatari last night think I'll have that vow between Koyo an Kissshot burned in'ta my mind for at least a year or more hehe.

Though to be honest I'd always felt the rather.. dismissive/hostile-ish aggression Koyo had in the anime of Bakemonogatari (thus how I found the series) to words "her"/"that" (using his words from said anime).. was well odd to me. I understand that at that point she is then barely a shadow of her former-self and as such lost her identity as Kissshot but comparatively his tone and words within Kizu specially at the end make the divisiveness of almost her existence within Bake's Anime seem.. really cruel and harsh.. and far from in-line with such a near proposal of eternity as that vow even if worded as a "one day at a time" like phrase. is there something I'm missing? or was this also in the Bake L-Novel?

I do understand that Kizu is the third Monogatari novel printed and thus the writer may not have fully decided how to deal with the events between Koyo and Kissshot and thus what would become the foundation of their potentially eternal symbiotic relationship.. maybe I should just start reading the Bake V1 translation heheh well at least the first two parts seeing as Suruga is listed at only 3 chaps finished and 30% of the 4th.

... right.. went on tangent sorry haha. thank you though, really, the series is quite something and deeply enjoyable to read.
though I feel after reading that.. Koyo should really be with Tsubasa an Kissshot. lol.
~Zi
iamnuff
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamnuff »

just posting to say the next chunk of Nekomonogatari (White) was posted today, by quality mistranslations.

its great when two groups of translators both translate different part of a story, it means more story, faster!
Kung
Astral Realm

Post by Kung »

Thank you for the translations, I have recently gotten into this series and am very grateful that there are dedicated people doing this. Keep up the good work!
Astaim
Astral Realm

Project still alive?

Post by Astaim »

I really enjoyed your kizumonogatari translation, i wanted to know if the project is still alive. Ganbatte!! :D

Return to “Abandoned”