Mahouka: General

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 7748

gilgamesh
Astral Realm

yeaah the main chara is cool

Post by gilgamesh »

Yeaaahhhh the main chara is so cool!!! :o
Ewh actually I read the manga and because the manga is good, I believe the novel will be even much better :D
Haven't read it because doesn't like to be cliffhangered X3
Thank you so much from your very very very (I saw post above) hardwork at this (too bad not yet) project!!!
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by larethian »

Given how rampant the spoilers have been in various places, especially those unhidden spoilers outside of animesuki, especially the ones regarding the protag, I've lost all motivation in translating this series. Whatever fun I have in teasing or drawing out speculations are all gone. Now what's left is the pain of converting the Japanese sentences to English ones...... Back to mugging, I guess...
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by jonathanasdf »

??
Why don't you just not read those threads?
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Thanks Lar for the updates :)
Zephyrus
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zephyrus »

jonathanasdf wrote:??
Reading discussions on one's can be motivating. Well, it is for me, at least. But I find that discussions about harems discourage me, for some reason...... :(
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

jonathanasdf wrote:??
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. I've already read most of the available stuff so it's fine for me. And it's fine if the spoilers are kept in places like animesuki where they can be hidden and posters can be filtered using ignore list. But the problem is because of this title's popularity, some smart alecks started posting spoilers irresponsibly, probably taken from animesuki, jcafe, or BT (maybe have even read the source themselves) in other less restrictive communities. Like on the comment page of Mangahere, where they are out in plain sight, destroying the enjoyment of that community. And I find it fun to read the speculations of others. Now, the rampant spoilers out there in the wild prevents people from speculating (or discussing, as Zephyrus put it) and enjoying the series fully as things get revealed. Spoilers for some other series do not have as serious an impact as for this series, or a suspense series (even though this isn't one). I guess, people can just go ask those spoiler posters for the story, so I don't feel the desire to translate anymore. That's why I don't do summaries of stuff I translate, and don't translate stuff I summarize.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

larethian wrote: Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. I've already read most of the available stuff so it's fine for me. And it's fine if the spoilers are kept in places like animesuki where they can be hidden and posters can be filtered using ignore list. But the problem is because of this title's popularity, some smart alecks started posting spoilers irresponsibly, probably taken from animesuki, jcafe, or BT (maybe have even read the source themselves) in other less restrictive communities. Like on the comment page of Mangahere, where they are out in plain sight, destroying the enjoyment of that community. And I find it fun to read the speculations of others. Now, the rampant spoilers out there in the wild prevents people from speculating (or discussing, as Zephyrus put it) and enjoying the series fully as things get revealed. Spoilers for some other series do not have as serious an impact as for this series, or a suspense series (even though this isn't one). I guess, people can just go ask those spoiler posters for the story, so I don't feel the desire to translate anymore. That's why I don't do summaries of stuff I translate, and don't translate stuff I summarize.
You got that point right. It destroys the suspense and fun. Without reading only I know half of what happens till vol 2 because of the spoilers.
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

Ahh I see what you mean now, yeah that sucks... :(
Jerryl
Astral Realm

Post by Jerryl »

larethian please continue your translation. There are alot of people looking forward and waiting for it :D and thanks for the hardwork that you put in your translation. Hope that you would continue it
easley
Astral Realm

Post by easley »

I'm thinking the same as Jerry. This Novel sure is really good and larethian you're the only one on who we can rely in order for us to read it. Well I don't know japanese but if we can someway help just ask.
I remember you to say that Magical Description passage were really hard to translate, then what about to translate the rest and when this is a passage about how magic work just make a summarize with your own world.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I have 2 would-be translators right now. As to what you mentioned, it should be the other way round, mechanics translated story summarized. Since the mechanics cannot be summarized. It's hard to translate because I don't know what English words to use at times for certain words, and how to restructure the sentences to make it flow nicely (more so than other LNs). There are also some bombastic vocab every now and then, which was fine, since I need to make sure that I know at least 10,000 words by heart and how to use them (as much as possible) by the end of the year (thankfully, this is easier than I thought thanks to all the VNs and LNs I've read). Well, I can't explain some of the problems I face well enough. One would only know when he or she starts working on it. More importantly, I don't have the time. I'm studying all the available grammar patterns categorized by function right now (which really requires me to spend loads of time to understand the subtle differences between patterns appeared to be used for similar purposes), and hope to finish in a few more months so that I can start doing more extensive drills and practices.

Translating Mahouka takes up a lot of time, because a sentence requires a little more thinking time than most other LNs, which add up over the pages. It has lots of terminology and jargon (why do I always get stuck with such novels?). It has more text per page than average LNs, between 1.2k to 1.5k per page, compared to the average 1k per page. Coupled with the first point, this gives the illusion that one is very much slower compared to working on other LNs, and you start sweating when you realized you've only done only 2 to 3 pages per hour, about 50% slower than most other titles for me, when in truth, counting by words, it's only about 20-30% slower. Add to the fact that the volumes get increasing pages (over 400 pages for volume 3 and over 500 pages for volume 4), you start to wonder how many years this will take and start getting depressed.
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by seitsuki »

Just wondering, I saw at one point that Kanannon was doing the fourth chapter but now his name's been removed. Is he still doing it?
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

seitsuki wrote:Just wondering, I saw at one point that Kanannon was doing the fourth chapter but now his name's been removed. Is he still doing it?
He's doing chapter 5. Chapter 4's done by someone else. And I ask him to register on the registration page instead.
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by seitsuki »

Oh, so they're being done? Anything in particular that needs attention then?
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

We still have volumes 2, 3, 4, and upcoming 5 next month, and a bunch of terminology to settle. いきなりなんだ、セっちゃん、この作品が気になるのか?

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”