Mahouka - Visitor Arc : Volumes 9, 10 & 11

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Visitor Arc : Volumes 9, 10 & 11

Post by larethian »

I haven't translated Mahouka for a long time, but doing some mental translations of v10 just made me recall......... this series tests my English more than my Japanese. Speed translations are out of the question for me.
royaloyalz
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by royaloyalz »

larethian wrote: Oh, I was thinking of doing a bit of speed translations of volume 10, guess I should drop the idea.
Vol 10 is pretty short with just 300 pages or so. Visitor arc ends in volume 11 which will be out in August. After that should be year 2 arc start. Incidentally, v10 must have been the cheapest Mahouka volume I bought, or is Japan's currency weakening?
Why drop the idea!?! I think its a pretty good one :D

Also, I think I just read on the papers today that the Yen is currently raising and because of that it is hurting their exports? Gosh, reality, so confusing :P

Anyways, about Chinese translations, I do hope you are right and that since volume 10 is out they will start to more actively translate volume 9. The source that Dreyakis pointed me to, which is the one he probably uses as well, has only 1 translator left who has stopped updating for more than a week already. Also, he confesses that he isn't that awesome at translating, and has indeed received some pretty disparaging remarks to his translation speed.

This may or may not have killed his motivation to translate, but we shall see I guess?
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
Rava
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

larethian wrote:I haven't translated Mahouka for a long time, but doing some mental translations of v10 just made me recall......... this series tests my English more than my Japanese. Speed translations are out of the question for me.
LOL, raising people's hopes and then dashing them on the rocks. So evil. :D
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

larethian wrote:I haven't translated Mahouka for a long time, but doing some mental translations of v10 just made me recall......... this series tests my English more than my Japanese. Speed translations are out of the question for me.
:lol:

Well, I guess it's kinda hard to translate it to English (sometimes I have problems understanding it in English =( tried to translate some of paragraphs to Russian, almost impossible if you don't have excessive dictionary of terms ) :D I can only suggest you to start from the end of volume and translate it at your own pace :wink:

Also it doesn't matter how speedy translations will be, it's not like you obligate to translate it as fast as you can :D

BTW, I can think of one way to get translations up to speed, like for example each translator (You, Sashiko, Seitsuki) translates one chapter at slow/medium slow pace, chapters are posted once a week or so, so everyone have around 2-3 weeks to translate, but it's kinda hard to do because of other occupations of translators and it will be impossible for Dreyakis because he needs Chinese translations :(
Rava wrote:LOL, raising people's hopes and then dashing them on the rocks. So evil. :D
True Troll trolling :D
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

TheLaG wrote:P/S - can someone suggest good way to learn Japanese? :wink:
I've come to the conclusion that there are no good ways to learn Japanese, only less bad ways. And unfortunately you pretty much have to work out which is the least bad way for yourself. On my part formal learning didn't work so well (classes at university as part of my IT degree), but also starting out and teaching myself didn't either. A bit of both, some time and persistence, and starting to slowly and methodically try to translate a LN (along with miscellaneous editing on B-T) is helping me learn much better on top of the base knowledge.

But it still sucks. :? Especially when you've spent 15 minutes trying to work out what the heck a sentence is supposed to mean, only to realise that you mistranslated one character/word, and that particular character happens to be actually a person's name, and 5 seconds later the entire sentence clicks into place and makes perfect sense. >.< (No, this didn't just happen to me; why do you ask? :roll: )
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Zero2001
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

Use zkanji. And watch lots of anime in japanese with english subtitles (to understand the sentence flow/grammar). :lol:

Other than that there's http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/
Ne, onegai. Set me free, ne? Kore kara ii ko ni naru kara... ne?
Zero2001.
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Uh, TheLaG
There's really no way to get your speedy translations I've registered for volume 10 chapter 10 which by my estimate will take me at least 3 months to complete after I finish "Dubious Lolicon" (Aproximately 50% done at the moment).

Frankly, I'm a little glad Dreyakis is a little stalled since I don't want to be still working on chapter 10 when chapter 11 is completed. The chapter is divided into 17 sections so I'll be doing the sections which are most important to understanding chapter 11 and 12 first so if necessary I should be able to do a partial without less important scenes (i.e. the last six pages of Miyuki Fan Service)

Sashiko
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

royaloyalz I can't seem to find those illustrations, halp plox ?

found them nvm -)
seitsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by seitsuki »

"Less important" scenes? (................)

Anyway my exams finish 25th so should be able to get stuff done at speed from there.
Sashiko
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Chapter 10 is marked with ◊ ◊ ◊ in sixteen places dividing the chapter into 17 parts.

Some of the parts are a joy to read but are not as essential to understanding the events that occur in chapters 11 and 12 as others.
Spoiler! :
For example:
Parts 6 and 11 :lol: are personal favorites and are what made me decide to translate the chapter but are not as essential to understanding the events in chapter 11 as part 12. In fact part 6 could be probably be presented as a teaser without giving any spoilers for chapters 4-9 or 11 and 12.

Sashiko
pentane
Astral Realm

Post by pentane »

I know what you mean, I speak 3 languages fluently and even though I can understand each perfectly, I have trouble translating them to someone else.
Recently
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Recently »

This is definitely one of the harder series to translate that's for sure. So many technical/uncommon terms are used that makes it a slow process.

A series with a bunch of strait dialogue (like papakiki or something) is like 10x easier to read/translate than this series.
moehawkman
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by moehawkman »

Personally, I don't mind waiting for the chapters to come out. I have other things to read while I wait.

I have to say that I like this arc more than the previous ones. Don't get me wrong. The others are good, but I just like this one better.
Lina's personality + Tatsuya's personality = funny interactions. I love how they're basically accusing one another of being secretive while not being secretive at the same time. It's just so funny to read. I'm just wondering what will happen in the 11th volume. It would be crazy if Lina kissed Tatsuya in front of everybody. It probably won't happen but just imagine if it did. Oh god, the look on Miyuki's face. I can see it now. XD
Last edited by moehawkman on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uso
Astral Realm

Post by Uso »

[quote="seitsuki"]"Less important" scenes? (................)

Anyway my exams finish 25th so should be able to get stuff done at speed from there.[/quote]

Seitsuki - sama <3
1636 NTL
Astral Realm

Post by 1636 NTL »

Is the maid from the vol. 10 illustrations a robot? Cause I noticed she doesn't have any ears.
...and it is Japan after all.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”