Mahouka: General

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 7748

abbad0n
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: General

Post by abbad0n »

Kadzu wrote:I believe that when the author said "no one can cheat death", it meant that Tatsuya cant resurrect someone already dead. But with regrowth Tatsuya might be "almost" immortal because he would recover from many severe wounds almost instantly and if he uses regrowth to turn his body 24 hours in the past everyday,he wont age. Regrowth works different in Tatsuya`s body since it heals him unconsciously against his own will ,so he might stop aging when his body reaches a certain age,and he wont be able to stop that.
That might cause problems for his memories though. He could become eternally immortal, but never again have a new memory. Also his physiology would never adapt and grow, so he could never learn new physical skills with muscle memory. If his Regrowth does auto-start when he gets too old, it could turn into a curse. Unless Tatsuya can learn to selectively use it in a way that gets past these problems. Hmmmm...
Captain127
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Captain127 »

That does seem plausible since aging is due to cells aging and their reproductive/regenerating ability slowly diminishes which ultimately results in death.

Tatsuya is not immortal, just like if someone were shot in the head and died instantly, he would be powerless to save them. I believe the same implies to him, although he can read the information network etc. and all that so he can disintegrate any lethal weapon before it does the finishing blow. I think the author will mention this at some point in vol.9, possibly 10 to show that he has his limits albeit they are very high limits!
InfamousSoul
Mikuru's Master

Post by InfamousSoul »

What I meant by cheating death is that it goes against the laws of nature, and is not possible for humans no matter what. As in, death is a constant force in the world. So no matter what, people will have to die eventually. Also, I believe that he will not or can not keep casting regrowth on himself. Aging is a natural process and is not really an injury. His auto-cast is when his body is severely injured by external causes (I believe), so aging probably would not trigger it. Also, he can somewhat control his auto-cast of regrowth when it's not a life threatening situation.
Don't regret what you have done, for when you do it's all over. You have limitless potential; strive to be the best you can be.
Captain127
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Captain127 »

I dont get why when tatsuya used his regrowth on his friends (i have forgotten their names lol) [shrapnel in chest, leg blown off] they seem to have recolletion of the pain felt otherwise when Miyuki said the shrapnel in whomevers chest, tatsuya would feel an equivalent of 3000 (off top of my head) times the pain in a second and for the person to understand the concept, must remember the pain of the injury despite their bodies (and memories?) being reversed to the time before the injury was influcted.
Haxton Fale
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haxton Fale »

The problem is that
Spoiler! :
Tatsuya had to "browse" their body state from the past X hours in split-second, hence the entire pain information was compressed into one, powerful "shot". He only changed information about their bodies, not their being, as he cannot affect memories. He didn't erase everything that happened, he simply erased the effects of being hit.
Rava
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Captain127 wrote:I dont get why when tatsuya used his regrowth on his friends (i have forgotten their names lol) [shrapnel in chest, leg blown off] they seem to have recolletion of the pain felt otherwise when Miyuki said the shrapnel in whomevers chest, tatsuya would feel an equivalent of 3000 (off top of my head) times the pain in a second and for the person to understand the concept, must remember the pain of the injury despite their bodies (and memories?) being reversed to the time before the injury was influcted.
They have recollection of the pain because it happened.

Regrowth doesn't play with memories at all, so it wouldn't take the memory of the pain away.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Tatsuya cannot cheat death not even his own. He can rewind material but apparently not life itself. It said in volume 8 chapter 16

" Tatsuya frantically tried using ‘Regrowth’, but soon realised it was futile.

Even though he could rewind material matter, his power was helpless to turn back the clock of life."

He already succeeded in saving Miyuki Sakurai and Miya before so it really shouldn't be that different than before. so it could be said that if everyone has 150 years of life and that the condition of the body with determine how much is used. which is pretty much shortening it via age illness accidents. It can also be spent like Sakurai's time and i can only assume as well as Miya's. While this is simply my own conjecture with an example to make it more easily understod, chapter 16 should be enough to say that he cant be immortal as there is a supposed life clock that still will run out
sinnershot67
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by sinnershot67 »

Captain127 wrote:I dont get why when tatsuya used his regrowth on his friends (i have forgotten their names lol) [shrapnel in chest, leg blown off] they seem to have recolletion of the pain felt otherwise when Miyuki said the shrapnel in whomevers chest, tatsuya would feel an equivalent of 3000 (off top of my head) times the pain in a second and for the person to understand the concept, must remember the pain of the injury despite their bodies (and memories?) being reversed to the time before the injury was influcted.
I think although Regrowth has the ability to remove the pain and backtrack the injury(or restore the body to it's state before injury), it wouldn't be able to affect the pain/mental shock the victim felt before Tatsuya cast it. :)
Senseless.
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

Kadzu wrote: I believe that when the author said "no one can cheat death", it meant that Tatsuya cant resurrect someone already dead. But with regrowth Tatsuya might be "almost" immortal because he would recover from many severe wounds almost instantly and if he uses regrowth to turn his body 24 hours in the past everyday,he wont age. Regrowth works different in Tatsuya`s body since it heals him unconsciously against his own will ,so he might stop aging when his body reaches a certain age,and he wont be able to stop that.
He may not age but he would still eventually die. His brain wold eventually give out due to the use of magic to keep him alive and then he would die. The author said he can't cheat death and that means eventually no matter what death will come.
werewolf
Astral Realm

Post by werewolf »

okay my stuff is a bit wrong in the decomposition stuff but let take the regrowth area. okay it seems that being immortal might not cut it but what if he gets old he can use regrowth to go back to his prime and still kick asss (if use leave the argument of his brain rewinding back let just say he found a version where he can select the data which he wants to rewind). it would be like mosquito from soul eater. i think that pretty awesome what do you think
Haxton Fale
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haxton Fale »

Regrowth does not affect the memories, as seen in volume 7.
eroz
Astral Realm

Post by eroz »

random question.

are there any info about Juumonji if he is also through training like Hell ?

i forget where i read it.
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

werewolf wrote:okay my stuff is a bit wrong in the decomposition stuff but let take the regrowth area. okay it seems that being immortal might not cut it but what if he gets old he can use regrowth to go back to his prime and still kick asss (if use leave the argument of his brain rewinding back let just say he found a version where he can select the data which he wants to rewind). it would be like mosquito from soul eater. i think that pretty awesome what do you think
His regrowth can only go back at most 24 hours so that would be impossible. Not to mention if it was possible it would kill him from the intense pain suffered due to rewinding time back that much. Think about all the pain an average person would encounter over their life time and then condense it all down into less than a second and being felt all at once. That amount of pain would cripple/kill the brain.
InfamousSoul
Mikuru's Master

Post by InfamousSoul »

Guest wrote:Tatsuya cannot cheat death not even his own. He can rewind material but apparently not life itself. It said in volume 8 chapter 16

" Tatsuya frantically tried using ‘Regrowth’, but soon realised it was futile.

Even though he could rewind material matter, his power was helpless to turn back the clock of life."

He already succeeded in saving Miyuki Sakurai and Miya before so it really shouldn't be that different than before. so it could be said that if everyone has 150 years of life and that the condition of the body with determine how much is used. which is pretty much shortening it via age illness accidents. It can also be spent like Sakurai's time and i can only assume as well as Miya's. While this is simply my own conjecture with an example to make it more easily understod, chapter 16 should be enough to say that he cant be immortal as there is a supposed life clock that still will run out
Pretty much my point. No matter how much regrowth he uses, his own lifespan will come to an end. Death is inevitable, even for Tatsuya.
Don't regret what you have done, for when you do it's all over. You have limitless potential; strive to be the best you can be.
sinnershot67
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by sinnershot67 »

eroz wrote:random question.

are there any info about Juumonji if he is also through training like Hell ?

i forget where i read it.
I don't really know, but considering his personality(stern, battle-hardened), build(HUGE guy), and the fact that he is the next heir of the Juumonji Family then yes, we can assume that he did train like "hell." :)

By the way, since the Thesis Competition was halted because of the invasion, I was wondering: what school do you think won? And also, what does this mean?
Masaki expressed his thanks to Zhou and cooperated with the other volunteers to take possession of the bound enemy soldiers.
However, Masaki did not notice that this action would remove him from the front lines.
What happened to Masaki after he met Mr. Zhou?
Senseless.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”