Golden Time [FR]

You can speak in English or in French. / Vous pouvez écrire en Anglais ou en Français.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Votre avis sur la série ?

J'aime beaucoup.
100%
J'aime bien.
No votes
Mitigé.
No votes
J'ai du mal à l'apprécier.
No votes
Je n'aime pas du tout.
No votes

Total votes: 6

rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Golden Time [FR]

Post by rpapo »

I only just now looked at Z-one's version of this sentence, and in light of what we have discussed above, his version isn't too bad an approximation, I think.
About as different as the 'Birth of Venus' receiving the blessing of angels and shining amongst the waves is from sea grapes arranged in an oyster shell, and carried around wearing geta.
My only change to this I have highlighted above.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

rpapo wrote:I only just now looked at Z-one's version of this sentence, and in light of what we have discussed above, his version isn't too bad an approximation, I think.
About as different as the 'Birth of Venus' receiving the blessing of angels and shining amongst the waves is from sea grapes arranged in an oyster shell, and carried around wearing geta.
My only change to this I have highlighted above.
"...and served wearing geta."
Misogi wrote:My NB thinks that rpapo can come here, just by calling him.
Only when (1) you post in a topic I'm subscribed to, or (2) I remember to search on "rpapo" now and then... :roll:
Lery

Post by Lery »

I guess it begins now to make sense once reformulated like that :)

@Misogi : you see, you almost won. 8)
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Lery wrote:I guess it begins now to make sense once reformulated like that :)
It's still a mighty strange sentence...
Drakyo
Project Translator

Post by Drakyo »

@rpapo: I found a part which seems a bit weird in the english version.

It's the description of the Tea Ceremony Club welcome party (words told by the women to the guys during the party).
Spoiler! :
'You there! Bring the pitcher!' 'You! Pour!' 'Hey you! Decide where we’re going next!' 'You fish! Distribute this to everyone!' 'Hey hey! Do you think the Tea Ceremony Club is for bowling?!' 'Gulp.. Elder sister, it's delicious!'
あんた! ピッチャー取ってよ! おまえ! つげよ! てめえ! 二次会の場所決めてこいよ! ほっけ! 取り分けろよ! オラオラーッ! 茶道部ボーリングじゃーいッ! グボォッ! ねえさーんいいにおいだよーッ!

The word fish here refers to a guy, but ほっけ means "Okhotsk atka mackerel". So I think the word fish refers to the food they are eating. For me, it seems more
logic that way.

The second point is about ボーリング which is translated by "bowling" in Z-one's version and by "boring" in yours. Isn't "boring" the right translation in this context?

My japanese is very very very low and my english is not that good so it could be a complete misunderstanding of me.
Golden Time - Tome 1 Chapitre 3 : 0/??? mots [0%]
Lery

Post by Lery »

About the "bowling" vs "boring" stuff, that could well be "boring" because there is "じゃーいッ" just after and it's certainly coming from the verb "じゃう" = "to do something until the end", with emphasis, just like Japanese do when they are talking, (hence the ー) . But I'm not so sure, because it's about the Tea Ceremony Club (部) and not only about the Tea Ceremony... :|

About the "ほっけ!" I guess it's all about a certain fish so it may be "you saw that fish !?" or something like that... Mhhh. Not sure again. :?

Sysadmin, sometimes.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I'll think about this more later. Only one thing: I refer you to this omake from the manga tankobon volume 1: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/103935/gol ... nlations/3 It appears to have been some sort of obscene bowling. Sao-chan and Shii-chan are really off the deep end. Devilish. Witness their sumo wrestling game in LN V2 C3 also.
Drakyo
Project Translator

Post by Drakyo »

Spoiler! :
As we can see it, ほっけ refers to the mackerel they're eating.

Spoiler! :
I guess you're talking about this image when you say "sort of obscene bowling".
I'm not sure, but rolls are quite different from bowling. In the manga, ボーリング is translated as "boring".
Moreover, this part is also mentioned at the begining of the paragraph :
ねえさーん、すっごくいいにおいだよー! と叫びながら座敷を前転して、先輩の股間付近にぐぼっと顔面をめり込ませる女がこの世に複数人いるとは……
Crying out "My dear elder sister, that smells delicious!", girls bowing so deep down in the tatami room, that they almost push their faces into their senior’s groins isn’t something you see often...
It seems that the manga combined the motion described with the speech. But in the novel, it's difficult to say that they're both retaled.
Spoiler! :
The drinking party of the Tea Ceremony Club was fun as such. But, the mood with only women was formidable (Crying out "My dear elder sister, that smells delicious!", girls bowing so deep down in the tatami room, that they almost push their faces into their senior’s groins isn’t something you see often...), and seeing the few male members used as slaves was terrifying as well. 'You there! Bring the pitcher!' 'You! Pour!' 'Hey you! Decide where we’re going next!' 'You fish! Distribute this to everyone!' 'Hey hey! Do you think the Tea Ceremony Club is for bowling?!' 'Gulp.. Elder sister, it's delicious!' It went like this. Male help is warmly welcomed! Come join the club! Let's work together! Such invitation e-mails full with sparkling swarm of emoticons, mostly sent out by the older guys, was even more frightening.
So, maybe the word "bowling" could fit in the manga, but I think it would be more logic with "boring".
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Interestingly enough, this is a paragraph where what I have in my working document diverges fairly strongly from what you just quoted, which I presume is from what Z-One did to the page.
Meetings of the Tea Ceremony Club were fun. But, getting along with only women is terrifying (crying out, “My dear elder sister, that really smells good!” while entering the tea room bent down, girls bowing their embarrassed faces down to their senior’s groins isn’t something you see often…), and the few male members were terrified of being used as if they were slaves. ‘You there!’ ‘Bring the pitcher!’ ‘You in front of me!’ ‘Tell me!’ ‘Hey you!’ ‘We’ve got to decide where we’re going next!’ ‘You fish!’ ‘I’m splitting!’ ‘Helllooo!’ ‘The Tea Ceremony is boooring!’ How embarrassing! You sure smell good, my elder sister! Yeah, it was awful. ‘Male help is warmly welcomed!’ ‘Come join the club!’ ‘Come on and try it with us!’ An invitation e-mail with a picture of somebody dancing wildly, sent out by the older guys, was even more frightening.
Apparently I took this as "boring" originally too. I must have changed my opinion later, after seeing the manga...

EDIT: Another interesting idea: The mangaka misunderstood too, and when he/she went back to the author to ask, the two of them thought it a funny idea to pursue, so the mangaka ran with it.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I was wrong. It appears that Kouko is taking French class. Whatever, it makes my having her speak French instead of English even more believable to the English-speaking audience.

Golden Time v3, page 55:
「もう講義行く? 一限、俺は英語だけど加賀さんはなんだっけ」
「フランス語」
"Are we going to class already? I've just got English in first period. What did you have, Kaga-san?"
"French"
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

You're lucky then. Don't forget to correct the translation note.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Ah, such a nice serendipity ^^

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Drakyo
Project Translator

Post by Drakyo »

Tome 1 Chapitre 2 en ligne.
Projet en pause le temps du bac. (D'ailleurs, je ferais surement 1 ou 2 chapitres de SAO avant de passer sur le chapitre 3).
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Here we go again. Kouko is trying to speak English, and I need to make it something else to preserve the effect of using a "foreign" language. Immediately after what I posted yesterday to the wiki (the love-shirt reveal), she says:
「アーイ、ラーヴ、」
“Aai, raavu,”

「ユー……」
“Yuu…”
Which is, of course, "I, love, you..." Putting this in the English translation isn't going to have the right effect. Now in Spanish this would be "Yo te amo", and I suppose the French isn't too far off from that. Your suggestions, please? Merci. If you want to mimic the effect of stretching the vowels, go ahead.
Devenk83
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Devenk83 »

Well, in French the correct translation is "je t'aime".
Maybe if you cut "aime" in two, you can mimic the effect like this :
"Je, t'ai..."

"...me."
Note : "Je t'ai *V*" mean "I *V+ed* you" in french, so the next part isn't obvious.
Ancien traducteur amateur EN/FR / Ex-Amateur EN/FR Translator

Return to “French”