Golden Time [FR]

You can speak in English or in French. / Vous pouvez écrire en Anglais ou en Français.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Votre avis sur la série ?

J'aime beaucoup.
100%
J'aime bien.
No votes
Mitigé.
No votes
J'ai du mal à l'apprécier.
No votes
Je n'aime pas du tout.
No votes

Total votes: 6

rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Golden Time [FR]

Post by rpapo »

Well, the result has been posted to the wiki, and my cache of working documents has been updated (since I transcribed pages 34 & 35 last night). You can see how well (or not) it worked out in the full context for yourselves.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Given the situation, I guess that "Mon bien-aimé" is fine.
It's easy to understand even for non french speaker, isn't it?
Moreover it's more spontaneous than any other translation I may think of.
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Drakyo
Project Translator

Post by Drakyo »

Je bloque sur une phrase, j'ai besoin d'un peu d'aide s'il vous plait :
Contexte : Banri décrit la phase de recrutement des clubs universitaires.

Other uniformed bodies were crowded about, tennis, then judo, cheerleaders lifting up others in a guerrilla like fashion, together with the American football club.

Je ne comprends pas du tout l'expression en rouge.

Je rajoute la version jap, romaji et anglaise avant édition :
Spoiler! :
¶他にもユニフォーム姿で揃っているのは、テニス、それから柔道、アメフト部と一緒にゲリラ胴上げを盛り上げているのはチアリーダーで、剣道に弓道もいるし、タキシードにドレスは社交ダンスだろうか。応援団の方々は黒の学生服、あまりにも近寄りがたい。

Hoka ni mo unifoomu karada de sorotte-iru no wa, tenisu, sorekara juudou, amefuto-bu to issho ni gerira douage o moriagete-iru no wa chiariidaa de, kendou ni kyuudou mo iru shi, takishiido ni doresu wa shakou dansu darou ka. Oeundan no houbou wa kuro no gakusei-fuku, amari ni mo chikayori gatai.

Other uniformed bodies were crowded about, tennis, then judo, the American football club and some guerillas lifting up some cheerleaders. Swordfighting and archery were there too. The people in tuxedos and dresses must have been the ballroom dancing club. People dressed in black school uniforms cheered them, but didn’t get too close.
Golden Time - Tome 1 Chapitre 3 : 0/??? mots [0%]
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Si je me souviens bien, rpapo avait galéré sur un passage lié aux clubs universitaires.

Je pense que tu peux utiliser le mot "liesse", exprimant une joie collective et à connotation légèrement révolutionnaire (ce qui colle au terme de guérilla).

J'ai pas trouvé de formulation, par contre.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

What you guys are seeing here is my original text, then the wiki text after Z-One got done with it. I have not attempted (yet) to reconcile Z-One's changes against the original text.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I see... well, we were trying to understand the meaning of the sentence, so that we could adapt it in French. Thanks for the detail.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Mhhh, tu es sûr que c'est "ゲリラ" et non pas "ゴリラ" ?? :|
C'est vrai que c'est bizarre comme ça.

I can't understand why should ゲリラ fit here... :? If it were ゴリラ, I may maybe unerstand why, but ゲリラ I really don't get it.

Sysadmin, sometimes.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Lery wrote:Mhhh, tu es sûr que c'est "ゲリラ" et non pas "ゴリラ" ?? :|
C'est vrai que c'est bizarre comme ça.

I can't understand why should ゲリラ fit here... :? If it were ゴリラ, I may maybe unerstand why, but ゲリラ I really don't get it.
Neither do I, but if it was the "American" club, the Japanese students might have thought it perfectly appropriate to mix football players and guerilla fighters. 8)

Oh, and I just double-checked the text against the physical book. That is what is there, without question.

Whether the translation is perfectly accurate is quite another question, but that is the word there.
Drakyo
Project Translator

Post by Drakyo »

It can be helpful to have 2 versions when I don't get a part. But sometimes, the meaning completly changes.

For exemple, in the same paragraph :
Spoiler! :
The people in tuxedos and dresses must have been the ballroom dancing club. People dressed in black school uniforms cheered them, but didn’t get too close. (rpapo)

The people in tuxedos and dresses must have been the ballroom dancing club. A cheering party dressed in black school uniforms, they were difficult to approach. (Z-one)
The two sentences fit with the context but the meaning is totally different, so it is hard to choose one. In the first, the people in black are linked to the dancers (cheering them). In the second, they are from an other club.

Anyway, isn't the "guerilla" refer to a rivalry between judo club and american football club?
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

To make matters worse, ゲリラ, as it turns out, has two completely different meanings: the noun 'guerilla', and the adjective 'sudden'.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Drakyo wrote:Anyway, isn't the "guerilla" refer to a rivalry between judo club and american football club?
Perhaps, but I doubt it. Guerilla doesn't mean "little war" in English. It is, in fact, a word borrowed from French and Spanish, and in English is used entirely with regards to the tactics of a limited war.

FWIW, I am reexamining that paragraph right now. I have learned a lot in the two years since I did that.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I've just reviewed the sentence about the football players:

Before: Other uniformed bodies were crowded about, tennis, then judo, the American football club and some guerillas lifting up some cheerleaders.

After: Even the other uniformed bodies gathered around, tennis, and then judo, which together with the American Football club were suddenly livened up by cheerleaders.

That make more sense?
Drakyo
Project Translator

Post by Drakyo »

Yeah, it is easier to understand and it match with the context. I'll translate this sentence in the french version.

Thanks a lot.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Theoretically, I should go back and revisit my older translations and clean them up. I'd like to think I've gotten better at this since starting with Baka-Tsuki in late 2009, over four years ago now. I have preferred, however, to simply forge on ahead with new material, and leave it to others to clean up the mess I've left behind as a beginner (and even now, albeit to a lesser extent I hope).
Lery

Post by Lery »

Mhhh, couldn't "一緒に" be seen as being related to the cheerleaders ??? (It may also be seen as "at the same time", doesn't it?) (and と would be doing a link between both parts of the sentence)
I'm fine with the "ゲリラ胴上げ" that would then be seen as a composed word, just as you said and meaning "lifting up suddenly/tossing in the air suddenly".

The いる after the 盛り上げて would indicate a continuous action of heating up/enlivening .
And の may nominalize it and は indicate it as a subjet, no ?
The で after the チアリーダー means "by", doesn't it ? So by the cheerleaders...

And also at the beginning the 揃ってい may be a te-form, no? Meaning "being all present"... :?

I would then see something like :
Besides also all the other uniformed bodies gathered around, tennis, and then judo, American Football club and the cheerleaders who were enlivening it all, suddenly tossing (together) each-other in the air.
PS : my, I shouldn't try to translate things to english, it seems met to be pretty bad english, sorry for that :roll:

Sysadmin, sometimes.

Return to “French”