Hidan no Aria - PDF/MOBI/EPUB Volume 6+

General discussion related to Hidan no Aria

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

theLiminator
Astral Realm

Re: Hidan no Aria - PDF Volume 1-6

Post by theLiminator »

Dude, you pdf's are amazing. I applaud you for your hard work. It really looks professional! Thanks for your giving your time. =D
Shike
Astral Realm

Post by Shike »

carj,

Seems our workflow is similar. I might have some tips.

How I start is I save the full text as an HTML (this includes everything from the wiki for that volume). I get the fullsize images by running a recursive size and text sensitive download via a program called NeoDownloader (not sure if you're doing it manually or not, if you need a bulk fullsize image dump to save time I might be able to help).

I then use Word's find and replace function to get rid of the "[edit}" tags, and manually remove the garbage text at the front and in the end.

I also perform a "ctrl+a" and "shift+ctrl+f9" to get rid of all links as I usually don't like them popping up on the Kindle. This doesn't get rid of the brackets with numbers for notes though, just the hyperlink connection.

Then, I go through and delete all the front illustrations. I add info I think is relevant (title, author, illustrator, credit baka-tsuki for 1st page). Then I pop into weblayout. To add images I open the image folder neodownloader made in a browser like Firefox and copy and paste the beginning illustrations as relevant.

I then search "^g" (no quotes) which finds the next image instance. I then replace the thumbnail with the full image. This sped up my workflow quite a bit and is seriously helpful for finding the images to replace and where they actually belong.

I add page breaks where relevant, though honestly I have no problem with chapters starting in middle of pages on my Kindle since font size isn't necessarily fixed with it anyway.

From here I try fixing headers. I've had few issues with this (the outline mode seems like it would have helped a lot! I ended up having to load into an HTML editor to fix headers *facepalm*)

This isn't relevant to you since we split programs here:

I then used mobipocket to create a PRC file with the cover and TOC, which I fed into Calibre to convert to Mobi while converting unicode to ascii since Kindle hates unicode. Could probably skip this step and end up doing straight Calibre now that's it's quite mature.

It takes me roughly 20-45 mins to pump out a Kindle copy on average. Of course I'm not adding headers and footers or worrying as much about formatting I imagine.

PS:

If anyone needs help getting these on Kindle with a good conversion I figured out a bunch of the Regex commands to use inside Calibre to retain formatting carj's formatting, remove header/footer (otherwise it shows in middle of page), remove document outline at end, and get TOC. If there's enough interest and I have the okay from carj I may do 1-6, archive and upload to mediafire. They should retain most of the formatting except unicode will be replace with ascii equivalents (unicode appears like [?] on the kindle).
carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by carj »

lol you dont need my approval =P you can always contribute any way you like, just tell me (by PM or a post) n ill put the link on the first post, check the post for TAMnI (here) i added some other stuff a guy made, of course ill give you credits =P

ok and on topic

1. i did tried the html file first but found it annoying so i just ended up copy-pasting the text manually lol im used to it now.

2. i download the images manually because sometimes i dont use the wiki ones, and i dont really mind doing it manually, tho ive never heard of that program and never really thought about using a program for that.

3. yea for the [edit] the find and replace doesnt work for me......i dont know why >_____>.......i have to delete that manually.....that the only thing i really find to be a pain in the ass.

4. i dont delete links because first if i use the "shift+ctrl+F9" i somehow lose the formatting of all the text (well more like it switches to "independent text"), and for TAMnI for example i dont really give it format lol i use the font n size it already have. Second, you can use the link in the PDF =P since sometimes the translators use a link instead of a note (i dont mean the [x] note links). Oh and i gave up on erasing manually the links for the [x] note things......really when a novel has like 24 notes its just annoying and its not like it hurts to have a link there, you can have the note's webpage open so you dont need to skip pages in the pdf just to see the note.

5. About the images, i dont switch to web disign since i HAVE to use Word in "Printing design" (ok no sure the real name, again i have word in spanish) so the images are re-sized automatically to fit the page, and i didnt know about that "^g" lol but i still do that manually scrolling the pages because at the same time i check for blank pages or pages w/ just 1~3 lines n fix them during that, also sometimes the images are misplaced so if ive already read the novel i look for the right place to put them.

for the rest is pretty much you converting and im not really good at that, i forgot to mention that i convert to ePub w/ calibre but im gonna try new stuff (i mean besides calibre) when i have time xD

then again you are free to share your files, and if you want to i can put them in the first post =P
theLiminator wrote:Dude, you pdf's are amazing. I applaud you for your hard work. It really looks professional! Thanks for your giving your time. =D
thanks and they're not that great xD i just take the time so they look good
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

I've always somewhat wondered why they don't just add PDFExport to the B-T MediaWiki. Seems to me it'd make life much easier. (If you don't know what that is, click on "Print/Export" on wikipedia. It has an option to convert your wiki page into a pdf. Does a pretty good job too.)
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

not sure about this but ive read somewhere it used to be one but i have no idea why they took it off

still i like to make pdf because i can personalize them =P
saidin1015
Astral Realm

Post by saidin1015 »

carj wrote:not sure about this but ive read somewhere it used to be one but i have no idea why they took it off

still i like to make pdf because i can personalize them =P
I believe they got rid of it because it was being abused and crashed the server. Anyway, regarding pictures, since I don't have photoshop, I figured out you could get full size images if you make the images into their own pdfs then using the insert page function to insert them.
Hiyono wrote:I've always somewhat wondered why they don't just add PDFExport to the B-T MediaWiki. Seems to me it'd make life much easier. (If you don't know what that is, click on "Print/Export" on wikipedia. It has an option to convert your wiki page into a pdf. Does a pretty good job too.)
You could always just get a virtual pdf printer (like this:http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php) for easy pdfs.
SpicyWolf
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR

Post by SpicyWolf »

Are you going to release Epub files too?
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

well i make them for me, never really uploaded them cuz they are kinda ugly n missing a lot of things, if i find a way to make them better i might post them =P
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Wow! I just finished reading your "How to Make PDF use MS Office 2010 and Adobe Acrobat 9.x" and let me say...whoa! I never knew how hard it was! I don't know how you managed to create so many PDFs! I would have gone crazy after 2 novel! Thank you for creating PDF so often! And keep up the good work!
jtiskool305
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jtiskool305 »

Thank you for this. I'm printing them as we speak :) (I need to get a bunch more ink xD)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

jtiskool305 wrote:Thank you for this. I'm printing them as we speak :) (I need to get a bunch more ink xD)
Holy, you'll need three 200-paper packs.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

hahahhaha nice, its funny how i got into making PDFs because my friend wanted to print TAMnI you know XD

¬¬ n its not that funny that he haven't even printed one yet.......oh well
jtiskool305
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jtiskool305 »

carj wrote:hahahhaha nice, its funny how i got into making PDFs because my friend wanted to print TAMnI you know XD

¬¬ n its not that funny that he haven't even printed one yet.......oh well
That's a bit messed up xD

@kira0802 I was at about 2 and a half volumes in and my printer stops working... good thing I had another, but when I was trying to take the ink out of the bad one I forgot that this ink doesn't fit in the other printer.. And all the stores that sell it are close. I have to wait until tomorrow. :\ So, no. In short, paper was not the issue. xD
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

yea it is XD, you can start reading since you already have 2 volumes =P

n yea i know how it feels to kill a printer in the middle of something v.v......n its actually worse when the next day it works like nothing happened
jtiskool305
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jtiskool305 »

Well, yea I already spent most of the day reading volume 1. I'm already done with that now I'll just read vol.2 tomorrow. I even cut the edges and got cotton strings and made a little booklet :D... I have no life :(

Return to “Hidan no Aria”