Hidan no Aria - PDF/MOBI/EPUB Volume 6+

General discussion related to Hidan no Aria

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Hidan no Aria - PDF Volume 1-2

Post by Mystes »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Volume 7. I was just speaking to myself, I do not really need another scan of the novel. While the images are bad quality, it is fine.
Yeah, I know. I just went there.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Hidan no Aria - PDF Volume 1-4

Post by carj »

ok volume 3 and 4 up

as for volume 7 yea the image quality is lower but at least the black n white images are more or less the same size i use when putting them in word so its not that bad, as for the color ones yea xD they are not the best

but they not as bad as the images of TAMnI volume 1 x_x those really suck, if u guys get a better set of scans send me a pm n ill check which r better
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Thanks a lot!
Kira0802

Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Yes! Thanks for updated volumes! I can wait to read them! :)
Gwilthyunman
Senior Project Translator

Re: Hidan no Aria - PDF Volume 1-6

Post by Gwilthyunman »

Thanks for the newest volume :D
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

lol that was a fast reply

and epic fail on going to bed....dam homework.....I HATE YOU.....T_T
Last edited by carj on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

carj wrote:lol that was fast

and epic fail on going to bed....dam homework.....I HATE YOU.....T_T
Homeworks during summet? Cram school?
Kira0802

carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

different country =O, and im in the university so not even normal vacations apply for me xD
DragoZERO
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DragoZERO »

Up to six!? Awesome! Thanks, a lot.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Whoa! Pretty quick there! I can't believe how many PDF you created already...and for so many different series! Thank you! I am very grateful for all the PDFs that you created!
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

Thanks for all the PDF files you created, is it possible for you too create PDF for Chrome Shelled Regios and Sword Art Online too? It's fine if you don't have the time but it'd be great if you could.

Again, thanks for the PDF and thanks to the translators for the translations, making the creating of these PDF files possible.

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

well yea its possible but its gonna take a while, im about to start tests next week and normally that last 2 weeks lol so i can try to do them after all that

maybe ill end up start doing them earlier, when i get bored of studying, anyways keep checking the forums xD
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

carj wrote:well yea its possible but its gonna take a while, im about to start tests next week and normally that last 2 weeks lol so i can try to do them after all that

maybe ill end up start doing them earlier, when i get bored of studying, anyways keep checking the forums xD
That'd be great, a thousand thanks to you~ ^^

Edit: and to the translators too.

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
Shike
Astral Realm

Post by Shike »

Quick question:

Can you post your workflow on generating these when you have free time? It would be helpful if you decide to drop generating them, or if we decide to generate them ourselves for other novels. It's nice being able to take pdf > azw and drop them on my Kindle for on the go (I've been doing this through word07 > mobi pocket > calibre which seems less effective than your way I imagine, since I add images inside Word which is not fun keeping them the right size).

Things I'd like to know specifically:

What program do you use to generate the PDF?
What do you modify the PDF with after to add the images?
How do you tackle the PDF bookmarks?
Any other tips?
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

k im at home now xD for starters i use Microsoft Word 2010 and Adobe Acrobat 9.x (no not the reader)

OH MY GOD......well get ready for a wall of text.......dang ive never realized i did that much XD, plz bear w/ my not so good english (actually tell me if suck O.o plz i wanna know how well im doing)

i made it "for dummies"...probably....anyways ask if you don't understand something.

ok so First Part what i do in Word 2010:
Spoiler! :
1. Save all the images to your PC.

2. Copy from the "Full Text" page the whole content of the novel and paste it on Word. OK here are some things to notice, on Word 2010 you have a Navigation Panel on the left side of the Window you can use to navigate from title to title, if you cant see that go to "View" tab and check the "Navigation Panel" checkbox under "Show" category. (that will be your friend for life =D)

3. Start erasing the "[edit] " tag at the beginning of every header, the novels that are not final will have that, well ive just seen like 1 or 2 that didnt have it. Its easier if you use the navigation panel to surf from title to title =P (click the arrow pointing down), pretty much click + 5 deletes (lol yea i count them).

4. Now choose to view the document in "Outline" mode and select ALL the text, then on the upper left corner you will see the "level" in which the titles are, somehow the wiki format puts the titles one level lower than they should be (if you just place your cursor on lets say "Chapter 1" it will be in a Level 2 header, and "Part 3" will be in Level 3) so after selecting ALL the text promote it 1 level (so now "Chapter 1" will be level 1, and "Part 3" on level 2) n its just click on the green single arrow pointing to the left. This is so later we can make the bookmarks a LOT more easy.

5. From here on its where it gets kinda annoying. If you plan on putting headers and footers (where the novel's name, volume number and page number go), now is the time (i mean it, do it now or regret later). You can also delete irrelevant stuff for the novel as the "Preview" image and text warning that some chapters have.

6. After you have the pages layout as u want them, you can start inserting the images where they should go, n i mean INSERT not copy-paste, that's why you save them to the PC beforehand. You need to delete all the stuff it copies w/ the images thumbnail (actually u delete 3 things, the image, something else, n a lil square), then proceed to insert, when you do it Word will automatically fit it in the whole page (if not see the TIPS), after the image is inserted i "center" it so it looks good =D. NOTE that i mean the black n white images here, not the cover n first pages, we will add that later. AGAIN JUST THE IMAGES THAT GO IN THE TEXT. ***CHECK THE NOTES LATER FOR SOME STUFF CONCERNING IMAGES***

7. Now start giving format to the whole text, probably this is the most time consuming part, insert page breaks for every chapter (<<< this is important if u plan on converting to an e-reader format, some converters use this to split chapters, also the title level), check that there r no blank pages (happens a lot), that the sub titles of every chapter r not at the end of a pages (for example in TAMnI, that the "Part X" is not the last line of the page), and all the stuff you want to check. For example i hate to use 1 page just for 1~3 lines, i try to fit it in the page before n things like that, that's pretty much your liking so take the time you consider necessary for this step. **CHECK TIPS LATER**

8. When you are done with putting it the way you like its just 1 more step, save it as PDF, for this there r some options, you can just "Save as..." and choose PDF format (i use this one, its a bit faster and it turns out just fine) OR you can use the PDF Printer that Adobe Acrobat installs (it takes longer and ive never really tried for the light novels), the difference between the two is unknown to me, never really notice any difference. (can any1 tell me one?)

9. GRATZ now you have your base PDF =DDDD, Word will automatically open the file when its done saving btw.
now the Second Part Adobe Acrobat:
Spoiler! :
1. With the file that Word produces we start by adding the images we missed the last time. To do that go to the left side vertical menu, n click the first icon (a page), there you will see a list of the document's pages, here we are going to add the images as new pages, this enables it to insert them in the actual resolution of the image to keep the quality. OK so when you see the pages click on the "options" icon (the "gears" one) then select "Insert Pages" > "From File...", now search for the folder where you saved the images, and select in "Files of type:" the JPEG format (all the images ive got from the wiki are in JPEG, if not select the corresponding one) choose the image or images you want to insert n click "Select", after that there will be a pop up windows asking you where you want to insert them, since most of the time those will be the images that go at the beginning choose "Location: Before", "Page: First", and then just click OK n there you go~~~~NO, i dunno why that sh*t add the images in a reversed order (yea dumb), so you need to reorder them, luckily the names of the images match the order so just follow that. To reorder them just click and drag them in the left side menu to where they should be and now your done adding all the images =D yay. OH yea for images going at the end of the document i repeat the process and in the popup window i choose "After" n "Last". ***AGAIN CHECK LATER FOR STUFF CONCERNING IMAGES***

2. Numbering pages, =P that's the next thing we are doing, ok this is easy, just select (in the left side menu) the first pages before the actual text, right click them n select "Number pages" in the window select the style you want to use (i use roman numbering "i, ii, iii" for those) and click OK, after that is done you'll see that the numbering also changes in the left side menu, NOW if you have images at the end of the novel you will want to change that number too, before you repeat the process see whats the last number of the images (lets say its IX) so now when you are selecting the style of numbering make sure you start the numbering at the right....well....number (we said IX then we put in the "Start" textbox 10 so the numbering continues form there, YES 10 not X).

3. The next step is the bookmarks, IF YOU MADE SURE TO FOLLOW THE STEP 4 IN WORD YOU MAKE THIS IN 2 MIN, if not you are doomed n might want to kill yourself, ok so go to the second icon in the left side menu (the page w/ a blue bookmark), again select "Options" (the "gears" icon) then "New Bookmarks from Structure..." in the window you will see a list of the structure components, don't bother trying to understand if you dont know HTML, just select H1 AND H2, to do that hold "SHIFT" n click both, then just click OK, and you will get a single (!?!?) bookmark with "untitled" rename it whatever you want (i use "Volume xx"), k now proceed to expand the bookmark (=O!) and you will see ALL the titles and subtitles there IN ORDER (YAY) but not quite well arranged, they are all at the same level, we need to put them in the corresponding level (well that apply to the sub titles actually), now select the bunch of bookmarks that correspond to a single chapter, those are the ones following the "Chapter 1" bookmark till the one before "Chapter 2" bookmark, ("Shift + click" does the trick) and grab them over the chapter they correspond so now they are below that chapter, if its done well you now will be able to collapse the bookmark, do this for all the sub titles. AND you are ALMOST done with the bookmarks, if you want you can check if they work and are placed where they should just click them. Now to finish go to the very first page (normally the cover) of your document, right click the base bookmark (the one you renamed), and select "Set Destination", now if you click the bookmark it'll go to the first page =P. OK now your done.

4. The next step is to modify some properties of the document so just right click anywhere in the page and select "Documents Properties...", here we're going to change the "Title" and "Author", for title i put "[Novel name] - Volume [number]", as for author obviously the novel's author name (don't use yours.....), we make this because some e-readers that open PDFs take those fields to show in the list so make sure you change them. OH YEA dont use kanjis, hiragana or katakana (if you dont know what is that GO KILL YOURSELF NOW....no w8 LET ME KILL U) in there, the e-readers probably wont be able to show them, look for the english or romanized name.

5. WOW your almost done (OMG OMG!) just go to "File" > "Save as..." and choose the name (A DIFFERENT FROM YOUR BASE PDF NAME) n a folder where you want to put it and~~~~~~. *CHECK TIPS*

6. YOUR DONE (GREAT!!! YAY!!!! WIII!!!! and any cry you want to shout)
AND thats pretty much it =P when you get used to it that takes around 20 minutes to do.........my first try took 2 hours xD

now for the TIPS, be sure to read them because they can make you avoid wasting time n going bald by pulling your own hair:
Spoiler! :
1. IMAGES: well there's a lot to talk about this.....but im lazy n gonna make it short, SOMETIMES when you add the images to Word they are inserted really small, if you try to add them in the PDF too it will end up the same way (you can check this by looking at the "Zoom" %, if its above 100% then the same thing is happening), and if you open them with an image viewer they're big when you choose to look at them in the "actual size". OK this is not the programs or your PC fault, its the image!.....no its not corrupted or anything, i dunno the causes but you can still use the image. The thing is that for this you need Photoshop or some program that lets you save the images as "Web Optimized", that's the only way i have found to fix this problem. Here is a quick guide about how to do it with Photoshop, oh and if you find one of the images with that problem then probably all of them have it:

I) Open the image (or images) in PS (i open PS, select all the images and drag them to the workspace).

II) Now just select "File" > "Save for Web & Devices" > "Save" > (select where to) > OK....DONT TOUCH ANY OF THE OPTIONS, and i just replace the existing file xD.....faster way: When the image is opened in PS just press "Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S" + Enter (saves) + Enter (selects the name n location) + Enter (overwrites the file) and you are done, now just do that for all the images, it doesn't take long, oh yea when you close the image in PS make sure you don't choose to "save changes" (you already saved it but it'll still ask again so this time choose "No").

III) Now you can add them to Word n the PDF without problems =P.
as for other method using another program i haven't tried....so you can ask me to fix the images if you find this issue.

2. Giving it format: well......this is pretty up to you but here are some recommendations:
  • Use a font that is not annoying and not too big or too small....obvious.
  • To give format to the whole thing at once you can use the "Styles" Word already have, this will make give a standard format to all the titles (according to level) a lot more easy and fast.
  • Avoid using too many "pretty things", the simplest the better, you don't need a lot of decorations, for example i don't like putting the images with a border.
  • You don't need to be too unique but don't be plain either. Make it look nice and easy to read.
3. About saving it as a different PDF, ok this is to make it easy to remake, once the editors make some huge changes you can just easily remake the Word part, save it as a PDF (will have the word's document name), then from your "final" PDF delete all the pages w/ the texts (except the first one!! and dont delete the images), n choose to insert new pages, now instead of selecting images get the new PDF you just made, insert it after the page #1 you did NOT delete and done, now just delete the previous "first page" (this is so the numbering dont mix....or you'll end up w/ the whole thing numbered in roman numbers). You will have to remake the bookmarks tho, but you keep the images, and document properties.
just in case
Shike wrote: What program do you use to generate the PDF?
What do you modify the PDF with after to add the images?
How do you tackle the PDF bookmarks?
Any other tips?
-Microsoft Word 2010 (yea amazing right? XD)
-Check the guide, but for reference: add colored images, bookmarks, document properties.
-Check the 2nd part of the guide the #3.
-Check tips.

about converting..........well........god im lazy so gonna add it some other time just for a quick reference, after i make all that in word, i switch to "Web View", add the images i normally add in the PDF at the beginning of the (soon to be) HTML file, always inserting them, in Web View they will be added in the original resolution so dont worry about that, BUUUT keep the other images (black and white) the way they are, that is so some readers don't display those images too big and fit with the width of the paragraphs. Now save the document as "Web Page, filtered" (ok not sure if that's the name my Word is in spanish)
and you'll get a HTML file AND a folder with the images (yea always does that) NEVER CHANGE THE NAME OF THE FILE OR FOLDER or it ll get screwed.

Now use that HTML file w/ any conversion program (calibre or some web site) to get your desired format. Its better to use HTML because it is cleaner than a PDF or DOC/DOCX file. Im not at expert at doing this and the ones i make w/ calibre suck.....but you can use them to read pretty well.

well this turned out to be a long guide................O.o if any1 wants to put it somewhere else just do it but give meh credits =D

Return to “Hidan no Aria”