High School DxD - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD - Names and Terminology

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Btw we're using romaji for the names, so we should use Sekiryuutei/Hakuryuukou. The romaji is Se-ki-ryu-u-te-i, so Sekiryuutei.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

By the way, the spelling of "Siegfried" is far more common than "Seigfried."
In fact, spell check recognizes the former but not the latter.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

zzhk wrote:By the way, the spelling of "Siegfried" is far more common than "Seigfried."
In fact, spell check recognizes the former but not the latter.
Siegfried & Roy were quite infamous in Nevada, USA. It also inspired many television shows like The Simpsons. Siegfried is also the name of an opera inspired by the myth of Sigurd. According to the myths, Sigurd who was said to have slain the dragon Fafner.

So in light of all these examples, I think we should use Siegfried as well. Also, Siegfried and Sigurd both have the "i" as the second letter in their names, so let's go with it.

Edit: I need to inform Code-Zero though.
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Okay. Lets change to that since that would be the correct one. I will fix them in my translation as well.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Just saw the list of names and terminology. Some of the kanji / katakana forms and their transcriptions are missing. We should add them (I only added Roki for Loki, that's my limited knowledge).
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Speaking of Xenovia, let's make a decision on the name of her sword.

The English wikipedia article is named "Durendal" and offers the following variants:
Durendal or Durandal (Most likely from French "durer", "to endure";Italian: Durlindana Spanish: Durandal or Durandarte)
Real-life fighter jets and bombs referencing the legendary weapon uses "Durandal."
BLU-107 Durandal, a rocket-boosted bomb designed for destroying airfield runways
SNCASE SE-212 Durandal, a French prototype of fighter aircraft
As a plus, since High School DxD often references Gundam, there exists the Gundam Seed Destiny villain Gilbert Durandal.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Agreed with Durandal, that's an existing name from a French legend.

I have some doubts about these names :

Georg : German name, I think it could become "Jorge" or "George". Don't know if it's something else.
Leornardo : The first "r" is a bit strange.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Georg is correct, it's a reference to the Faust legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Georg_Faust

"Leornardo" is definitely a typo since レオナルド (reonarudo) has no "r" in between the o and the n.
Should be a reference to Leonardo da Vinci, after all.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

zzhk wrote:Georg is correct, it's a reference to the Faust legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Georg_Faust

"Leornardo" is definitely a typo since レオナルド (reonarudo) has no "r" in between the o and the n.
Should be a reference to Leonardo da Vinci, after all.
For Georg, I knew about Faust, but there was a lot of other names for him.

I'll check if there are other names to correct.
----
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Diodora Astratoth - From the Astratoth house.
Since it's referencing the Lesser Key of Solomon / Ars Goetia, I think the family name of Diodora and Ajuka Beelzebub should be fixed on the Terminology page.

アジュカ・アスタロト(ajuka . asutaroto)

Also, there isn't two "t" syllables in a row to produce the "toth" sound.
Astaroth (also Ashtaroth, Astarot, and Asteroth)
It seems like Astaroth is the most common spelling of the demon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_de ... e_Astaroth
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

zzhk wrote:
Diodora Astratoth - From the Astratoth house.
Since it's referencing the Lesser Key of Solomon / Ars Goetia, I think the family name of Diodora and Ajuka Beelzebub should be fixed on the Terminology page.

アジュカ・アスタロト(ajuka . asutaroto)

Also, there isn't two "t" syllables in a row to produce the "toth" sound.
Astaroth (also Ashtaroth, Astarot, and Asteroth)
It seems like Astaroth is the most common spelling of the demon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_de ... e_Astaroth
I agree with the word Astaroth.

Anyway, I added the transcriptions of the names in katakana in the page of Names and Terminology. If there are errors (which is likely), feel free to correct them.
----
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

I'm currently adding the nicknames/aliases for the many characters right now. The kanji/katakana need to be added later though. Also, remember to keep the names int his order: family name first, and then first name for romaji names.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Hiro Hayase wrote:I'm currently adding the nicknames/aliases for the many characters right now. The kanji/katakana need to be added later though. Also, remember to keep the names in this order: family name first, and then first name for romaji names.
I added all the katakana transcriptions I found. But about them, since the names in katakana are in the order "First Name - Family Name", isn't it better to leave them in this form ?

Then, there are some forms missing in the list.
----
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Misogi wrote:
I added all the katakana transcriptions I found. But about them, since the names in katakana are in the order "First Name - Family Name", isn't it better to leave them in this form ?

Then, there are some forms missing in the list.
You're right, but Code-Zero and the other translators will be translating in that order according to the Japanese norms which is family name then first name. Well we could have the romaji name in that order, then in the novel have them in family name first, then first name order. Although, there's a problem with that since some names are in that order "Family Name - First Name" like Hyoudou Issei.

Also, I'm going ahead and changing it to Astaroth, but make sure to inform Code-Zero about this change.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Edit : Message written and updated.
Hiro Hayase wrote:You're right, but Code-Zero and the other translators will be translating in that order according to the Japanese norms which is family name then first name. Well we could have the romaji name in that order, then in the novel have them in family name first, then first name order. Although, there's a problem with that since some names are in that order "Family Name - First Name" like Hyoudou Issei.
To clarify :
- "Family Name - First Name" order in translation, regardless of the name's form : I agree.
In the Names and Terminology page :
- Names written in Japanese in the "Family Name - First Name" order : Keeping it (like Issei's name).
- Names written in katakana in the "First Name - Family Name" order : Keeping it (like Rias' name).
----

Return to “High School DxD”