Sword Art Online & Accel World Novels Licensed

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rasen
Astral Realm

Re: Sword Art Online & Accel World Novels Licensed

Post by Rasen »

Well, I read somewhere that Yen would be publishing the first volumes of SAO and Accel World in 2014, so if what Teh Ping posted on the project pages is the official position, we've hopefully got at least a few months to get caught up with the stuff published?
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Nurin »

The Project will be taken down when C&D comes, that's all.
Call me Nurin!

Dalam
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: CSR

Post by Dalam »

Yen Press sucks when it comes to having a good timeline for releases. =/
Spice and Wolf has been their only decent timing release, but everything else they do, is so sporadic, I have to keep my eye out for anything about releases.
SAO will probably go the same way, if I don't miss my guess. Release 2-4 novels, then completely and utterly dropped.
So....why not just leave the stuff on the site, but remove all links to it, except by the admins? =/
Find me on Hongfire if you want to chat more about stuff here. =V
shinikage
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shinikage »

i wonder if they got a license for the whole set of published novels or just the first 3-4 vol in order to gauge how well those will sell, if i could get confirmation that they will publish the whole thing i may get interested in buying, but seeing how they plan on god know how many month releases the fear of they dropping it midway is pretty strong
Last edited by shinikage on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TYLunaMoon
Astral Realm

Post by TYLunaMoon »

Why not doing it as Shakugan no Shana?
Just tear down the released part.
If the first volume licensed up, just tear down the first volume in Baka-Tsuki.
Why must all of it been abondoned?
Isn't it was your blood, and sweat, and tear, and most of your effort for years?
rock96
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rock96 »

^Shana's been terminated, though. It's only because it was dropped, BT earned a chance to revive the translation. The trick won't work with works still published.
Kadi - hero we don't deserve.
Honorable mention for moderating and translating Campione, editing Gekkou and Hakomari.
O White Knight standing sadly amidst hordes of filthy plebs, return to us, please.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

TYLunaMoon wrote:Why not doing it as Shakugan no Shana?
Isn't it was your blood, and sweat, and tear, and most of your effort for years?
Okay, I can be wrong, but I will put some points here:
  • First: If we maintain the series on the site, we will be only doing a crime. :)
  • Second: The first purpose of B-T was to incentive the licensing of the novels, once SAO and AW got licensed, B-T fulfil it's purpose, keeping the series on the site would be bad, it'll be betraying the first purpose.
  • Shakugan no Shana had a special condition which lead to restart translating, but it was first dropped though.
I can be wrong at my points, but this is how I see. :wink:

P.S. the ones who start translating here, are aware of the risks... :wink: Or at least I think everyone readed the common agreement... :roll:
Call me Nurin!

Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Pretty sad waiting 4 long years to read vol 13 =/
shinikage
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shinikage »

what if yen press decides to drop it at some point, will the translation be resumed right away or will you wait until it ends in japan?
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

shinikage wrote:what if yen press decides to drop it at some point, will the translation be resumed right away or will you wait until it ends in japan?
I don't see it likely that Yen Press will drop it, even if it does, we'll talk about it then, not now.
TYLunaMoon wrote:Why not doing it as Shakugan no Shana?
Regarding Shakugan no Shana, Viz first stopped releasing it for a long time, and IIRC, we had insider info from TLG that the licensing model was likely a 2-volume by 2-volume basis, that's why he allowed the resumption from v5 onward (2 volumes' buffer in case Viz also hold v3 and v4's license). For SAO, we don't yet know the licensing model. And Yen just started it, not dropped it lol.
Nura rihan wrote:The Project will be taken down when C&D comes, that's all.
I don't think we want to wait for a C&D to be sent.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

I also don't think we should wait for the C&D.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Well I just pointed how ping said...

Teh_ping wrote:A quick amendment to the previous announcement. The series mentioned (Sword Art Online and Accel World) will be taken down by the release of the first volumes for the respective series latest.
^that's how I interpreted this sentense.
Call me Nurin!

Dalam
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: CSR

Post by Dalam »

That leaves us quite a bit more time, since they said 2014 will be the first release, lol....which is still a long ways off for a company that is popular for dropping stuff if it doesn't do good. XD
Find me on Hongfire if you want to chat more about stuff here. =V
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Oh, sorry, my mistake... Anyway iot won't be taken right way.... right? :P

I just don't understand about this things about licensing and stuff >.<
Call me Nurin!

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Nura rihan wrote:Well I just pointed how ping said...

Teh_ping wrote:A quick amendment to the previous announcement. The series mentioned (Sword Art Online and Accel World) will be taken down by the release of the first volumes for the respective series latest.
^that's how I interpreted this sentense.
That's not the same thing.
A C&D letter is usually a (hostile) letter that threatens legal action, and can cost a few hundred to a few grand (depending on hours spent by the lawyer to research and draft the letter) to send through a representative lawyer/firm. It's not a (friendly) letter sent by the publisher to make a request of us.

EDIT: Also, I want to add that it is actually the responsibility of any rights holder (in this case the licensee, Yen Press) to take legal action to protect their intellectual property rights. So say, even if Yen Press (internally) recognize the value of BT's works, they MUST take action to protect the rights or risk losing their license from the licensing company (ASCII Mediaworks in this case). This works for almost any kind of intellectual property (be it trademark, patent, etc. etc.) in most 1st world countries. This is how business works.

EDIT 2: Patents may work a bit differently, as it's easy to claim ignorance of infringement (though no company in their right mind will do that unless they are also threatened in the same manner :lol:) due to the large number of patents and the difficulty to judge whether infringement takes place due to the detail level. Copyrights and trademarks are much easier to protect and more difficult to claim ignorance (unless we are a small-time translation blog :lol: ).

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”