Sword Art Online - PDF/EPUB/MOBI Versions

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sword Art Online - PDF/EPUB/MOBI Versions

Post by carj »

yea most novels are like that ^^^^^^

Simon maybe this is not the case but in the past ive had troubles with images provided by B-T (not sure if its the same uploader so im generalizing), the image itself has the issue that the propierties says its #### x #### size and windows previewer displays like that but when i added them to the .doc and even in the PDF the resolution of the image is lower, i fix that problem by opening the images with PS and saving them as "optimized for web" (ctrl+alt+shift+S and just accept the rest of the pop up windows that appear) like that i have the image with the resolution it originally says

so dunno if those faulty images could be causing your problems
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

the image itself has the issue that the properties says its #### x #### size and windows previewer displays like that but when i added them to the .doc and even in the PDF the resolution of the image is lower
Had the problem too, but working with word I know the sizes that are good. My solution : right click the image >> format image >> the second tab(size? have only in german and russian at the moment) >> height 23,36 cm or width 16 cm. Choose what you want, the most images from B-T are somewhere 800x1200. But I prefer the height.

I will look into it maybe it will help with the problem. But still 2+ hours spent on this problem, how the hell can it be.

SAO Vol 1-2 are done. With illustrations and some things that help display the images on PRS-T1 and other devices like that. Should work on mobile phones if the software can work with css not like iBooks.

If it will work with the scaling I will send you the links for the other ones and at the same time the other ones for iBooks. As you know, iBooks is special.

May be I will make a base64 codes for the Images.

Mfg, Simon.
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

@Simon
Are you still finalizing SAO vol.1/2 epub ? You said they're done but I still can't find where to download them yet.
QuianXian
Astral Realm

Post by QuianXian »

can someone make vol 2 and other vol into mob ver??? I think its better to read by mobipocket reader than pdf since they save where I read last ^^"
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Sorry, had some work and exam for past view days.
Vol 1 was almost done. Some pictures problems as you can see in the upper post. I'll try to do the 3-6 as fast as possible but still 2 hours for 1 working ePUB(as I see them working on PRS-T1 and Normal Software Reader).

I thought looking into MOBI, and find out how it works.
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Vol 1-3 will be ready today. Still 2 minutes compiling for one ePUB. And I have a good PC.

Edit.

It's not possible. I don't understand. The images .... ahrr ... it happens only with SAO. WHY?
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Found it.

Here it is. Guess what it was.

Have first spent 2 hours testing the images in vearious formats but no result. Then I thought the lines look like they are part of the text. Why not. So I looked in the code and removed the class of one of the lines <p>
Its the one strange looking line. And it worked the white line vanished.
Spoiler! :
3.jpg
Spoiler! :
2.jpg
Ok compared it with other ePUBs that I made and what I see.
Spoiler! :
4.jpg
background-color: fff# <<<< this !"§$%&/() line

This thing is what I hate in programming . You write something, it works, you change something and it does not work like it shoul. Because some kind of line is destroying everething.
And it was automaticaly written. Probably some changes since last update of Calibre.

If you ever have the same problem as I had. look for such thing.

And BeginnerXP please wait one more day. I don't feel like doing something aftter destroying 20 ePUBs that take 2 minutes to compile then searching for the problem and then finding out it was all in vain because of one line of code.

With the problem solved I will do the vol 2-6 once again(text is done and everything around it) so only compiling and changing some code so it looks like it should.

BF3 I'll be there in a moment.

+ Must wake up pretty early tomorow and neeed to finish an IT-Project. Realy this week sucks. Just two more days ..... I can see the light at the end of the tunel.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

yay, gonna test the new application for mac iBooks Author over the weekend.
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

Don't know if it's just me or not, but iBooks display both versions the same. Like this: (using iBooks 2 Apple just released)

Maybe it'll be less work if you just make single version. I had to keep editing two versions of volume 1 too and that wasn't effective.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

So i'm back.

First of all, I tested iBooks Author. It's created to make educational books but with some twisting and doing it the wrong way it is possible to crate good books for iBooks.

So to this.
BeginnerXP wrote:Maybe it'll be less work if you just make single version. I had to keep editing two versions of volume 1 too and that wasn't effective.
I will try to do books for iBooks with iBooks Author, it will take some time but they will be created so I think I will release Vol 1 of SAO for iBooks with Vol 4-6 of ePUB.
One question, should the pictures be beig or small ?

Edit:

I might say it right now. I don't know what iBA does with its files but they become realy big. About 15 mb. ^.^"
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

So BeginnerXP i have done it. I think.

Please try this one out. it has an .ibooks file extension and i think it works with iBooks. Try it *_*.

SAO Vol 1 .iBooks

Spent 2 hours on it. o_0 how can it be.

Ah and I should say this I can not understand it but the file is 28.5 MB big.

mv logic_thinking /dev/null
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

28.5MB is very huge for content with mostly text, no idea what Apple did with conversion in iBooks Author. I was playing around with it yesterday too but still didn't try with real book yet.

I'm a bit busy right now, I'll test it and post the result later today. Thank you for making it.

Update:
It looked good on landscape mode, images appear correctly and no more half blank page before image too.
But in portrait mode, it was terrible, image won't display, no page flipping but it was like reading very long webpage instead.

Update 2:
Layout is good in portrait mode but there is no option to increase/decrease font size (which defeats one of the epub strength), in landscape mode resizing font is possible though.

Early thought:
It's probably best to just stick with normal epub for now. Huge file size & fixed layout both aren't good outcome people would expect from epub, that's more like PDF.
.ibooks might be best for Apple's intent target: interactive books, not novels. And .ibooks only work on iPad not iPhone too.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Ok. That means only ePUBs with small and large pictures. only minus by large pictures is the half blank page before the image.

I will try one more time with ePUB for iBooks with fixed size and if it don't work I will stick to the small and large formats.

Edit:
New record at Compiling.
Took me 3 minutes and 16 seconds to compile SAO vol 6. It's getting better and better.
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

I've updated PDF of volume 1-6 with translated images, some might not like the way I did. But it saved me a lot of time and personally I find it acceptable. Any feedback would be appreciate though.

Until carj updates the link in first post, please get the updated version at my MediaFire folder here:
[link removed]
Last edited by BeginnerXP on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

BeginnerXP wrote:I've updated PDF of volume 1-6 with translated images, some might not like the way I did. But it saved me a lot of time and personally I find it acceptable. Any feedback would be appreciate though.
Looked at them and I must say its very good. It's not fancy, "you","me" concentrate on the text and not on something else. One thing would be convenient "TOC". Cause I don't see what content there is and can't jump directly to the chapter where I am.

It Perfect.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”