SAO Anime Discussion Thread

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sword Art Online getting animated

Post by ben1234 »

It feels like they want to cover all the SAO stuff in 13 episodes before getting to ALO
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Well, I prefer SAO over ALO. It's not a wise wove, but whatever.

At least, psycho-Kirito was quite entertaining.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

I guess I'm the only one who satisfied with this episode then, from last week episode preview and the episode names from New Type magazine, I already knew they will cram the entire Aria into one episode.

Consider the size of Aria is nearly half of average LN volume, which is needed to be squeezed into 21 minutes, I think they already did a good job, it's too bad we didn't get to see Argo, but it could be much worse.

Let's keep our expectations reasonable, that way we could enjoy it more.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Well, the problem's mainly on the fact that it focused on the parts deemed less important by most people.
It's still the start of the season, so spending some screen-time to set up a proper "world" is pretty important, in my opinion.
If they spent more time on the "MMO" aspect and the character development here, as an introduction, it would probably be a wiser choice than on the story itself (since it's actually a minor SS).
(Note: I have yet to watch the episode. I can more or less tell how it go though...)

Also,
And really if you look at the script credits, the reason is apparent. The guy who adapted the second episode isn't even a writer, he is some story board guy who has only done two writing jobs before he got SAO.
quote from 4chan anon.
Hoping for a better third episode in any case.
The judgement of that will probably make or break its popularity for the rest of its season.
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

I think that compromising on Asuna's and Diabel's characterization was simply too much of a chunk taken out of the original side story. A greater focus on the MMO aspect would have been nice, but everything else was fine, even good.

Tears must still be shed for what could have been T.T
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

I leave a note here to mention that: the title of this episode was Beater, NOT Aria in the Starless Sky. so they can butcher it however they want. Maybe they can expand on it in the future using ovas or something like that.

I certainly hope they don't cut out so much from the future episodes...
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Yea, but they didn't explain why Kirito took up the "Beater" title.
They just went "He's a cheater! He's a beta tester! He's a beater!", "Okay, I r beater, kthxbai", without any more detailed explanation on his reasoning behind it.

Finished the episode earlier, anyway.
It's a decent episode by itself, but the source material had a lot more potential, honestly, if they just used two episodes...
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Can we change the thread name to "SAO Anime Discussion" since SAO is already an anime? And this thread is kind of pointless, so we should recycle it instead of creating a new thread for the anime discussion.
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

I agree with you, please go ahead and change it.

Edited: I stickied it, hope it's appropriate.
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

Pryun wrote:I leave a note here to mention that: the title of this episode was Beater, NOT Aria in the Starless Sky. so they can butcher it however they want. Maybe they can expand on it in the future using ovas or something like that.

I certainly hope they don't cut out so much from the future episodes...
Coming back to it in an OVA is fine, but they can't just redo Kirito and Asuna's first meeting. Diabel is also kind of tricky since his parts are too small to devote part of an OVA to, but were big enough that it is understandable that they were removed. Since they already did the episode, chances are pretty low that we'll see a "remastered" version of it. The way it is now, "First Day" has a higher chance of getting an OVA(although I do think an OVA would fit First Day better than a normal episode)

This is within acceptable changes though. It's painful to watch as an LN reader, but that doesn't mean I'm dropping it.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Re: SAO Anime Discussion

Post by ben1234 »

You know what I just realized from the anime?

Kibaou is the same guy as the Army boss from Morning Dew Girl. Suddenly, having Kibaou know and hate Kirito just made a lot of sense for Yui's side story when Kirito saves his ass

Also, watch Argo not be mentioned in Red Nosed Reindeer
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

... I wish I could insert an image of slowpoke or its relatives here... ^^(Then again, I was the one to translate that, so I had to find out if there were any mentions of Kibaou prior to that...)

Yeah, let's see how kirito magically finds out about the quest. oh wait, that is a perfectly viable way to animate without argo... besides, argo probably pm him instead of meeting in person.

Mind you, I'm complaining here...
User753
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by User753 »

ben1234 wrote:You know what I just realized from the anime?

Kibaou is the same guy as the Army boss from Morning Dew Girl. Suddenly, having Kibaou know and hate Kirito just made a lot of sense for Yui's side story when Kirito saves his ass

Ah,you're right,just realized it now after you mention it.Thanks.

Isn't it kinda hard for Kirito to know that Cli-...Klein had bought the information about Kirito had been bought information regarding all the trees location without at least mentioning Argo?
If I remember it right, I'm sure Klein said 'That damned «Rat»' or the like when he heard that from Kirito.
And how could he explained the origin of his «Meteor Break» or «Embracer» without first telling about the «Unarmed combat» quest? (Then maybe Argo need to show up,and thus, the 'Kiriemon' part)
Maybe it's just a too hopeful part of me.-/-

Edit:From a quick skim through volume 1;2;8;SS;and ME,I think there's no clear mention of Kibaou beside those mentioned by ben1234-san.Although,if when Kirito's talks with Asuna when they're hiding from the approaching 'Army guys',In rest area (with Klein and co) after that arrogant Lieutenant Colonel (forgot his name) left,and after fighting «The Gleameyes» are considered;they can be quite subtle hints about Kibaou.Considering Kibaou's personality as shown in 'Aria' and 'Morning Dew Girl'.
(Ah,too lengthy again.Sorry about this.-/-)
Under the unceasing illuminations reflected through the blue moon, the dance slowly increase pace to its summit. As the dance reached its conclusion, the stars at the edge of the horizon starts to dim.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

@origin of skills: time skip, who knows what happened in between? Kiriemon is continuation to Aria, so I doubt they will be showing it since the next episode is titled red nosed, unless in a flashback episode or something.
M.A.D
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

User753 wrote:
ben1234 wrote:You know what I just realized from the anime?

Ah,you're right,just realized it now after you mention it.Thanks.

Isn't it kinda hard for Kirito to know that Cli-...Klein had bought the information about Kirito had been bought information regarding all the trees location without at least mentioning Argo?
If I remember it right, I'm sure Klein said 'That damned «Rat»' or the like when he heard that from Kirito.
And how could he explained the origin of his «Meteor Break» or «Embracer» without first telling about the «Unarmed combat» quest? (Then maybe Argo need to show up,and thus, the 'Kiriemon' part)
Maybe it's just a too hopeful part of me.-/-

Edit:From a quick skim through volume 1;2;8;SS;and ME,I think there's no clear mention of Kibaou beside those mentioned by ben1234-san.Although,if when Kirito's talks with Asuna when they're hiding from the approaching 'Army guys',In rest area (with Klein and co) after that arrogant Lieutenant Colonel (forgot his name) left,and after fighting «The Gleameyes» are considered;they can be quite subtle hints about Kibaou.Considering Kibaou's personality as shown in 'Aria' and 'Morning Dew Girl'.
(Ah,too lengthy again.Sorry about this.-/-)

What are you guys talking about?

The guy Kirito saved in Morning Dew Girl is Sinker, leader of the Army. Kibaou is the guy to trapped Sinker in that dungeoun in the first place, and he was only mentioned by other people in that chapter without actually having any dialogues.

As for Argo, she can be mentioned without actually showing up at all, or worse, her name might not even come up. Klein can just say that he bought information about Kirito, and then Kirito said that he bought the same thing. Something like that can easily be omitted in a conversation. Further more, they most probably aren't putting Rondo in the anime :(

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”