Accel World: Format, Style, Names & Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Accel World: Format, Style, Names & Terminology

Post by Tap »

My take on it:
Spoiler! :
"Haruyuki thought he could finally get a glimpse of the seventh Level 9er, the only one he hadn't saw in person, but the White King was exceptionally shy... or perhaps, had no interest in Silver Crow, a mere Level 5."

By the way, is there a reason not to use "9er" or "Nine-er" instead?
Xplorer30
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xplorer30 »

I got tried trying to leave out gender for unknown person so I just use "he" for every unknown. And change to the proper form when that person is actually explained.
Spoiler! :
By the way, I know who the white king is from spoilers, but will keep using "he" or something non-gender when that appears meanwhile. KYH pretty much told us it's a "she" already though...
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Post by theUnbreakableSky »

Alright noted.
Breakdown16
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Breakdown16 »

I have a case where it would be better to try to avoid using gender pronouns from a stylistic/"keep the meaning of the original text" point of view. Spoilers ensue.
Spoiler! :
In volume 8, there's one part where Haruyuki and others, including Fuuko, talk and speculate about Ash Roller's identity in real life. Fuuko knows Ash is a female in real life, leading me to believe that's the reason why she seems to avoid referring to Ash directly with pronouns. In Japanese, it's so much easier to get away with omitting pronouns, so I had a bit of trouble at times translating them into English without using the pronoun "he." Though in some parts my wording is awkward, I believe it was significant that Fuuko seemed to avoid using "he" purposely, so I translated the relevant portions without the pronoun. I'm curious as to how the Chinese translations do it - my guess is that they use "he" also.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

What chapter? I've not really read V8 Chinese translation.

For Chinese, there are three ways to refer to a person, and a fourth is the awkward version.

1. 他 tā, usually "he".
2. 她 also pronounced tā, but exclusively "she".
3. 它 also tā, but usually refers to animals, or someone sitting very low on the respect scale.
4. 那个人, lit. "That person".
Breakdown16
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Breakdown16 »

Never mind, found it myself and it is indeed 他. Geez, my Chinese is so rusty, lol. I'm still going to keep my version pronoun-less unless many people decide it is too awkward, in which case I"ll change accordingly to "he." It was in volume 8, chapter 8, if you were wondering.
Xplorer30
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xplorer30 »

I think Ash Roller is a male avatar, no matter what gender the burst linker is, so I will probable use "he" for ash roller even later...
Breakdown16
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Breakdown16 »

That's true. However, in my case, the real life identity and not the avatar of Ash Roller was being discussed. When referring to the avatar, or when mentioned in context of the Accelerated World, I would use "he" too.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

In V11 there's an incomplete sentence that's spoken by Haru, and I dare not translate that lest the original Japanese meaning is lost.
Spoiler! :
「你应该知道,量子接续通信终端,是通过使用者的脑波的吧。既然如此,你认为有了脑波几乎就是同一个人的两人会发生什么事」

「诶,量、量子接续通信终端的共有……?但、但是,两位是怎么同时加速……」

Rough translation:
"As you should already know, the Neuro Linker identifies the user with their brainwaves. In such a case, what about two person's brainwaves that are so similar as to be called identical?"

"Eh, the Neu..Neuro Linker's connection would be..? But, but, both of you are (Burst Linkers)..."
The context is in V11.2, Haru is trying to chat up Cobalt Blade before Argon Array arrived.
Breakdown16
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Breakdown16 »

I would check, but...you know. If I recover my files, I'll get back to you then. Otherwise, hopefully somebody else could lend a hand...?

Does anyone mind if I use "he" for Suzaku? Suzaku seems more intelligent than your typical AI and seems to have a bit of life in him, so I'd prefer to use "he."

I was thinking about the term 四神 again and realized that in many contexts, "Divine Beast(s)" does actually fit better. For example, take the phrase 四神スザク. The best translation I could come up with for this that didn't sound awkward was "Suzaku, one of the Four Gods." If I used Divine Beast, it would be more concise: "the Divine Beast Suzaku." So I'm kinda torn here...I want to preserve the original meaning "Four Gods," but the fact is that it makes many translations so much lengthier.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Seems okay to me. *thumbs up*
Superior Superboy
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Superior Superboy »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can point out to me how to contribute to the translation project of Accel World? I am Chinese and since I have like a month of free time to kill, I would love to help out in translating some of the chapters to help speed things up. Of course, I am going to need help with certain names of places and stuff but generally,I should be able to translate most of the story. Thanks alot to anyone who replies!

PS: i am not sure if this is the right thread to post in, so do pardon me if i have done something wrong.
Xplorer30
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xplorer30 »

Probably better in the other thread, but do you really only have one month to help? That, even if you are a very very good translator, isn't much help at all. Unless you have more time to help, it's only going to mess things up... But if you really want to, pick a free volume like 9 or 12 on and give it a go.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

One month...I could work with this guy, maybe.

Coincidentally, I will have to put translation on hold in a month as well. <_< <_<
Superior Superboy
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Superior Superboy »

Xplorer30 wrote:Probably better in the other thread, but do you really only have one month to help? That, even if you are a very very good translator, isn't much help at all. Unless you have more time to help, it's only going to mess things up... But if you really want to, pick a free volume like 9 or 12 on and give it a go.
Well, I would love to help even more if I could. Pity I didn't discover the series until last Sunday. I would have loved to help. I have pretty much all day to help translate stuff, so I was wondering if I could help as much as I can before I enter the army. After that, the next time I touch the internet would probably 3 weeks after that.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”