Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

veritatis cupitor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, date a live

Re: Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

Post by veritatis cupitor »

what will be japanese name for technique [Whirl Kei (旋剄{せんけい})internal type here]. the context is -
残ったもう一つの渦から、ニーナへ攻撃《こうげき》が向かったはずだからだ。
「旋剄《せんけい》か……」
 呟《つぶや》き、レイフォンは転がるようにしてその場から逃《のが》れ、背後《はいご》を確《たし》かめた

external type burst kie - Needle Kei (針剄{しんけい}). the context is -
 衝剄としてただ放射《ほうしゃ》されるのではなく一塊《いっかい》に。
 外力|系《》けい衝剄の変化、針剄《しんけい》。
 まさしく針《はり》のように鋭《するど》くなった剄は、今まさに旋剄を放とうとした第十六小隊のアタッカーの一人に命中し、吹《ふ》き飛んだ。

we have been using 'Academy city' in translation but shouldn't it be 'Academic city'.
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU TRANSLATOR SAN.
xstar
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by xstar »

veritatis cupitor wrote:what will be japanese name for technique [Whirl Kei (旋剄{せんけい})internal type here]. the context is -
残ったもう一つの渦から、ニーナへ攻撃《こうげき》が向かったはずだからだ。
「旋剄《せんけい》か……」
 呟《つぶや》き、レイフォンは転がるようにしてその場から逃《のが》れ、背後《はいご》を確《たし》かめた

external type burst kie - Needle Kei (針剄{しんけい}). the context is -
 衝剄としてただ放射《ほうしゃ》されるのではなく一塊《いっかい》に。
 外力|系《》けい衝剄の変化、針剄《しんけい》。
 まさしく針《はり》のように鋭《するど》くなった剄は、今まさに旋剄を放とうとした第十六小隊のアタッカーの一人に命中し、吹《ふ》き飛んだ。

we have been using 'Academy city' in translation but shouldn't it be 'Academic city'.
Whirl Kei (旋剄{せんけい}) Senkei

External-type Kei variant (外力系衝剄の変化{がいりょくけいしょうけいのへんか}) - Needle Kei (針剄{しんけい}) Shinkei

I haven't bothered touching Zuellni's title because of precedence. As far as grammar goes, academy city is fine. It implies that the entire city is an academy rather than the city was founded to support the academy.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

xstar wrote:I haven't bothered touching Zuellni's title because of precedence. As far as grammar goes, academy city is fine. It implies that the entire city is an academy rather than the city was founded to support the academy.
if you were translating the novel from page 1, what you would have used? 'academy city' or 'academic city'. precedence is important but if something can be made better, i think we should use it. sorry for being so obstinate.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Apparently my post wasn't sent to server and disappeared. Re-posting.

In the original scans, the author uses the term Gakuentoshi (学園都市{がくえんとし}) which literally translates as 'Academy City.'

My reasoning for keeping the term as Academy city is as follows. This compound really doesn't get used in Japanese at all but is similar in construction to Gakusai (学園祭{がくえんさい}) or school festival and is broken down into its two structural components, the identifying component 学園 and any modifying components in this case 都市. The second character 園 read in this case as 'En' references location in the term, so therefore a noun. In keeping with that train of thought, I would just leave it as Academy.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

roger that.
Haze
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Chrome Shelled Regios
Now to be Tenyoku no Alderamin

Post by Haze »

It's funny that I'm translating this series but I've only ever watched the anime.

Only caught up recently cause I decided that I wanted the stuff I'm translating to make a little more sense context wise >_>
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Funny cause I went through the first seven volumes as an editor :p . Didn't really go through the first seven before that and then I started helping by building the Terms lexicon, translation checking on the fly.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

life is quite unexpected, yeah? :)
A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Haze, xstar and everyone else! thanks for supporting CSR. Let's hope we can continue to stick with this project in the future too. Cheers to you all. *toast*

I'm still hopeful for a second season. I really want to see more of Layfon and co in action.
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

External Burst type Kei – Sendan. (Lightning Cut)
External Burst type Kei – Sendan (Lightning Cut).
which is better way of writing techniques, former or latter?
Merry Christmas and happy new year.
Haze
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Chrome Shelled Regios
Now to be Tenyoku no Alderamin

Post by Haze »

I was always under the impression that it'd make more sense to have the full stop after the parentheses.

Having bracketed words on their own with no punctuation doesn't really make much sense.

I'm not sure what the consensus on this is and quite frankly I don't think it matters?

Also does it need the (Lightning Cut) after each usage of Sendan anyways? If people are following this series I'd assume a simple Sendan after the initial introduction of the move should be enough.

Just my 2 cents, but I think as an editor you're free to take your own liberties, choose a format and go ahead and make everything consistent in the all the novels.
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

I agree with Haze on this one.

Though to be more specific, I would do the noted translation with a listing of the first notice of each technique in every volume, if we were to even go that route. I'll take a bit more time to think on it before I put in my official opinion on the matter.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

yeah the full stop doesn't matter but i thought may be something is wrong with my understanding since no one has edited it yet. i expected the full stop to be after the parenthesis. i'm still a novice when it comes to literature so i ask you guys for confirmation. sorry for using you people as teacher without telling you. :wink:
indeed (lightening cut) after each usage of sendan isn't required but that stands only for regular readers. there are others who read only that part of story which isn't covered by anime or read the story after quite a time.
noted translation is also good. i've seen it in campione. it's format sure looked complicated so i didn't bother to examine it properly. if you people want, i'll try it.

how about updating Names and Terminology guidelines with the names of whirl kei and needle kei given a few days earlier or should i update it and stop bothering you with little details.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

veritatis cupitor wrote:yeah the full stop doesn't matter but i thought may be something is wrong with my understanding since no one has edited it yet. i expected the full stop to be after the parenthesis. i'm still a novice when it comes to literature so i ask you guys for confirmation. sorry for using you people as teacher without telling you. :wink:
You are correct. Period comes after parenthesis.
indeed (lightening cut) after each usage of sendan isn't required but that stands only for regular readers. there are others who read only that part of story which isn't covered by anime or read the story after quite a time.
noted translation is also good. i've seen it in campione. it's format sure looked complicated so i didn't bother to examine it properly. if you people want, i'll try it.
My thought is that we could make, for example, the technique name (Lightning Cut) follow the first usage of each term per volume, but we also have the terminology guide open and posted for people to look up (and it's sorted).
how about updating Names and Terminology guidelines with the names of whirl kei and needle kei given a few days earlier or should i update it and stop bothering you with little details.
Updated the terminology guide with new names in parenthesis and added a second entry of "Needle Kei (針剄{しんけい}) (Shinkei)" to the External-type Kei variant section.
Whirl Kei (旋剄{せんけい}) (Senkei) is already there.

Edit: Just something I noticed. Claribel became a Heaven's Blade, picking up Layfon's correct? So I'm guessing I should add her under that section with the Wolfstein title now?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

in techniques what format should be used -
older name (newer name) like sendan (lightening cut) and Snake Fall (Hebi Otoshi)
or something along the lines of japanese name (english name). this will change Snake Fall (Hebi Otoshi) into Hebi Otoshi (Snake Fall)
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

veritatis cupitor wrote:in techniques what format should be used -
older name (newer name) like sendan (lightening cut) and Snake Fall (Hebi Otoshi)
or something along the lines of japanese name (english name). this will change Snake Fall (Hebi Otoshi) into Hebi Otoshi (Snake Fall)
My thought is which one we use depends on the technique.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”