Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

xstar
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

Post by xstar »

Resounding Sword (轟剣{ごうけん}) added to terms.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Chrome Shelled Regios
Now to be Tenyoku no Alderamin

Post by Haze »

xstar wrote:Resounding Sword (轟剣{ごうけん}) added to terms.
Awesome.

Question: How does a Monarch (in this case, Alsheyra) refer to herself? (in english) Chinese has a way of referring to the self in third person and indicating that they are the king in one word, does English do this?
~Haze.

Baka.
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

Regnal names? Or perhaps Majestic plurals?
まず隗より始めよ。
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Haze wrote:Awesome.

Question: How does a Monarch (in this case, Alsheyra) refer to herself? (in English) Chinese has a way of referring to the self in third person and indicating that they are the king in one word, does English do this?
Oh god, I forgot how Alsheyra speaks. I checked the scans and don't see any evidence in her referring to herself in any level of formality. She even calls Tigris, Tig-jii (ティグ爺), or old man Tig, Grampa Tig, etc. The suffix in this case is rough and has a huge level of familiarity. To some it will be rude and to others endearing. Her speech is extraordinarily rough.

If I recall correctly, she just uses the feminine version of the pronoun 'I' in Japanese (あたし), so there should be no difference if you just used 'I' when she refers to herself. If you see anything special, instances may include Kanaris posing as her, then you just need to check the text.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator

Post by Haze »

Ahh, thanks guys.

I guess it must be something that's introduced in the Chinese version.

Anyway, few problems to fix with the post epilogue:

1. What does 老生体二体 mean? That's the Jap raw reference. Is it 2 Mature Phases? Or is it Mature Phase Stage 2? @_@
More regarding the mature phase:
Don't know if it's this exact sentence but: 異様《いよう》に長い顎《あぎと》から長い|牙《きば》がこぼれ出している。
I used Halves, rather than what the Chinese text suggested: (the character in question is 颚) which is jaw. If it's two mature phase filth monsters, (or what looks to be 2) then Jaw doesn't make sense. Also the description with the lower jaw and upper jaw switching spots that I'm sure I translated correctly doesn't work either...

2. [Edit: Just realised this isn't name/terminology. Ooops][offtopic]
This sentence was questioned on the discussion page for part 03:
雷冯一边高速闪避无规则飞来的闪断的暴风雨,一边内心握紧拳头叫了一声好。
No idea how I can make it sound non- crappy.
By searching Sendan I know the Jap paragraph is this.
Spoiler! :
|無秩序《むちつじょ》に飛び散る閃断の嵐《あらし》から高速で逃《のが》れな
がら、レイフォンは内心で拳《こぶし》を握《にぎ》りしめた。 前からこんなこ
とができないかと考え、ずっと頭の中だけで練習してきたのだ。その成果はレイフォ
ンに満足を与《あた》えた。
But I only really want help with the part where it's like "Layfon shouted with a clenched fist in his heart/in his mind clenched his fist." Ugugugug
[/offtopic]
Thanks guys, you're the best!
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Haze wrote:Ahh, thanks guys.

I guess it must be something that's introduced in the Chinese version.

Anyway, few problems to fix with the post epilogue:

1. What does 老生体二体 mean? That's the Jap raw reference. Is it 2 Mature Phases? Or is it Mature Phase Stage 2? @_@
More regarding the mature phase:
Don't know if it's this exact sentence but: 異様《いよう》に長い顎《あぎと》から長い|牙《きば》がこぼれ出している。
I used Halves, rather than what the Chinese text suggested: (the character in question is 颚) which is jaw. If it's two mature phase filth monsters, (or what looks to be 2) then Jaw doesn't make sense. Also the description with the lower jaw and upper jaw switching spots that I'm sure I translated correctly doesn't work either...
It should mean mature phase stage 2 considering Delbone realizes that there were two stage two filth monsters in the middle of Layfon's fight with them.

Can you quote the sentence in your translation and which section it's in so that I can cross reference the position of the line in the JPN raws.
2. [Edit: Just realised this isn't name/terminology. Ooops][offtopic]
This sentence was questioned on the discussion page for part 03:
雷冯一边高速闪避无规则飞来的闪断的暴风雨,一边内心握紧拳头叫了一声好。
No idea how I can make it sound non- crappy.
By searching Sendan I know the Jap paragraph is this.
Spoiler! :
|無秩序《むちつじょ》に飛び散る閃断の嵐《あらし》から高速で逃《のが》れな
がら、レイフォンは内心で拳《こぶし》を握《にぎ》りしめた。 前からこんなこ
とができないかと考え、ずっと頭の中だけで練習してきたのだ。その成果はレイフォ
ンに満足を与《あた》えた。
But I only really want help with the part where it's like "Layfon shouted with a clenched fist in his heart/in his mind clenched his fist." Ugugugug
[/offtopic]
Thanks guys, you're the best!
Here's my interpretation of the line:
無秩序に飛び散る閃断の嵐から高速で逃《のが》れながら、レイフォンは内心で拳を握りしめた。

Escaping from the chaos of the storm of scattered sendan, Layfon mentally pumped his fist.
Spoiler! :
And this is the mental image the author was probably going for, but of a tiny Layfon bringing it about.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

hey xstar, there are two names on p.90 attachment. I think they're Layfon's sisters from the orphanage, but I can't remember their names.
Spoiler! :
V16 Ch2 page 90.jpg
and what's that name in the attached file p.82? Also, how would you translate the lines before "the descent of Durindana" in the second paragraph?
and am I correct in my understanding of the last line that they are trying to destroy the current world so the world can be turned back into the old world?
Spoiler! :
V16 Ch2 page 82.jpg
thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

blewin wrote:hey xstar, there are two names on p.90 attachment. I think they're Layfon's sisters from the orphanage, but I can't remember their names.
The two names belong to the Heaven's blades, Reverse (リヴァース) and Cauntia (カウンティア).
and what's that name in the attached file p.82? Also, how would you translate the lines before "the descent of Durindana" in the second paragraph?
and am I correct in my understanding of the last line that they are trying to destroy the current world so the world can be turned back into the old world?

thanks!
The entire quote:
だがその実、月はもうぼろぼろだ。
However in that reality, the moon was in disarray.

グレンダンにドゥリンダナが下りたことも、騒動の間隙を突いてヴァティがやってきたこともそうだ。月の役目である封印は、もうかなり綻びている。いや、崩壊したといっても過言ではないだろう。カリバーンは主を一人にできないとあえて残った。
After Durindana had descended upon Grendan, Vati had taken the opportunity to moved in. The seal placed on the moon, giving the moon its role, had already come apart. Nay, it wouldn't have been an exaggeration to say it crumbled. Kalivan gave up finding a master at this point.

後はただ、ここ世界を破壊し、この世界があることによってなしえなくなった旧世界への移動を実現させる。
After that, this world was being destroyed, and things were vanishing from this side ending up in the old world.

それだけを行けばよい。破壊すればいい。
If that were only the case. Disruption wouldn't be a bad recourse either.

Edit: fixed some grammatical errors
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

uh, my mark was totally off! Reverse and Cauntia.

great translation. Much clearer than mine. You know, though I've been translating the main story, I still don't really get what is happening..... (like from your translation, what has been disappearing from this side of the world? and why?)
um, and I think this is my first time coming across the name Kalivan. Who is he?

More names.

I think I've seen these two names somewhere before, but I can't remember. And they aren't on the terminology list.
Spoiler! :
V16 Ch2 page 96.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

blewin wrote:uh, my mark was totally off! Reverse and Cauntia.

great translation. Much clearer than mine. You know, though I've been translating the main story, I still don't really get what is happening..... (like from your translation, what has been disappearing from this side of the world? and why?)
um, and I think this is my first time coming across the name Kalivan. Who is he?

More names.

I think I've seen these two names somewhere before, but I can't remember. And they aren't on the terminology list.
Spoiler! :
V16 Ch2 page 96.jpg
As far as I am aware of, I don't recall them elaborating upon what has been disappearing. I think objects near the dimensional border (yes there is a physical border like a tear in space time that objects can pass through) in general is what they refer to. The why would probably be covered in the legend of regios series.

So with that, to names.

Ronsmier (ロンスマイア) (royal family, already on list)
Rivanes (リヴアネス) (Military family 武門, added to terms)
*Kanaris belongs to this group if my logic is correct
Terios (テリオス) (added to terms)
*Distinguished member of the Rivanes family

Sorry about that. I didn't update the terms page with the Rivanes family because I was lacking information about them. That excerpt gives me enough though.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

right, I see. But it seems the novels are beginning to shed light on the history written in the legend series.

indeed, it really does give more information on what that Military Family does. thanks for the help! looks like we've a new contender for the throne, Terios.
Haze
Project Translator

Post by Haze »

Heya xstar.

About that filth monster.
Delbone wrote:“Arara…I’ve made a little mistake.”

From within the helmet came the voice of an obaa-san who seemed to be in a good mood.

“What is it?”

“At first I thought there were two, but it seems there’s only one.”
I'll find the passage ref...wish I didn't have to install NJstar though.

Gimme a sec I need to be able to type chinese too >_>
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Haze wrote:Heya xstar.

About that filth monster.
Delbone wrote:“Arara…I’ve made a little mistake.”

From within the helmet came the voice of an obaa-san who seemed to be in a good mood.

“What is it?”

“At first I thought there were two, but it seems there’s only one.”
I'll find the passage ref...wish I didn't have to install NJstar though.

Gimme a sec I need to be able to type chinese too >_>
Looking at it again that sounds right. Had it reversed. Two bodies joined at the tail rather than two separate ones. They are Mature phase stage two though. Whether or not Delbone sees it is another story though.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator

Post by Haze »

Awesome, thanks xstar.

Well we can have a confirmation here.
Initial announcement wrote:「|汚染獣《おせんじゅう》が接近しています。老生体二体。戦闘域《せんとうい
き》への|到達《とうたつ》は二日後ぐらいですわね」
Does it give enough context?

Also the actual last question >_>
Jaw/Half? wrote:下の顎が硬《かた》い地面を砕《くだ》く。上の顎がレイフォンを追って|急上昇
《きゅうじょうしょう》をする。下の顎はそれに引きずられ、やがて上下を逆転
《ぎゃくてん》させた。
 絡《から》み合うようにレイフォンを追ってくる。
So the word in question is actually 顎. In Chinese it means Jaw (as it's been transliterated across by the Jpn->Chn translator) but...I was wondering if it referred to the two halves of the filth monster, since there's 2 "bodies" joined at the tail?

If it's actually referring to a jaw I'm awfully confused...which head's jaw is it? And why can the jaws switch places/encircle Layfon. Ugh.

Anyway my part is more or less here
My confused TL wrote:The Mature Phase’s lower half smashed the hard ground apart. The upper half was chasing Layfon as he rapidly ascended. Tugging the lower half after it the two halves eventually switched places.
It was as if they were twining around each other as they chased Layfon.
Cheers.
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Haze wrote:Awesome, thanks xstar.

Well we can have a confirmation here.
Initial announcement wrote:「|汚染獣《おせんじゅう》が接近しています。老生体二体。戦闘域《せんとうい
き》への|到達《とうたつ》は二日後ぐらいですわね」
Does it give enough context?
Looking at the line, it could easily be stage 2. It doesn't look like she states how many there are with this line. What's more important is that it's power level is accurately stated. A Mature Phase Stage can easily be more powerful than two stage 1's but two mature phase stage 2's may not necessarily be more of a problem than a single stage 2 based on interactions and such. Case in point, the Filth monster that took over Gahard Baren's body could have been more than one stage 2 since the components of that monster were made up of thousands to millions of different single celled parasites.

However looking at latter text I would just go with two bodies.
Also the actual last question >_>
Jaw/Half? wrote:下の顎が硬《かた》い地面を砕《くだ》く。上の顎がレイフォンを追って|急上昇
《きゅうじょうしょう》をする。下の顎はそれに引きずられ、やがて上下を逆転
《ぎゃくてん》させた。
 絡《から》み合うようにレイフォンを追ってくる。
So the word in question is actually 顎. In Chinese it means Jaw (as it's been transliterated across by the Jpn->Chn translator) but...I was wondering if it referred to the two halves of the filth monster, since there's 2 "bodies" joined at the tail?

If it's actually referring to a jaw I'm awfully confused...which head's jaw is it? And why can the jaws switch places/encircle Layfon. Ugh.

Anyway my part is more or less here
My confused TL wrote:The Mature Phase’s lower half smashed the hard ground apart. The upper half was chasing Layfon as he rapidly ascended. Tugging the lower half after it the two halves eventually switched places.
It was as if they were twining around each other as they chased Layfon.
Cheers.
Looking at the character in question, it does appear that the author is using that character to signify one half of the two monster amalgam.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”