Can I get help for manga translation?

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Can I get help for manga translation?

Post by Hazue »

I know baka-tsuki translates only novel, so I'm wondering could I still get help if I'm have problem translating a manga, not novel.
Currently addicted to Acchi Kocchi's manga translation. Sorry BT, for not translating the novel I had registered :(
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Can I get help for manga translation?

Post by rpapo »

Hazue wrote:I know baka-tsuki translates only novel, so I'm wondering could I still get help if I'm have problem translating a manga, not novel.
I'm sure there are many here who would help if you posted individual questions. I believe you are expected to put your own best effort forward first, and only come to the translator group when you're stuck. At least that is how it has worked for me and my translation. For the most part, the other translators have provided me clues when I have been stuck, and have only rarely given me an outright translation. That's fine with me; I am still trying to learn the language, and they are helping stretch my mental muscles.
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

Ok.
Of course I had try my best to translate those words, but the translated text just feels wrong in English.
here's the original context
"せっかくのクリスマスなんじゃから他にすることがあるじゃろ!"
"....例えば?"
"恋人とおはようからおやすみまで暮らしをみつめるとか"
I need help on the 3rd sentence. I had search around the internet and found that it was a company named LION's slogan, but well it doesn't help much in translating.
For now I had translated it as "For example, gazing at each other from day to night with your lover". Which it feels wrong to me.

All helps are greatly appreciated.
Currently addicted to Acchi Kocchi's manga translation. Sorry BT, for not translating the novel I had registered :(
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Hazue wrote:"恋人とおはようからおやすみまで暮らしをみつめるとか"
恋人と = Koibito to = With your lover or sweetheart
おはようから = Ohayou kara = From morning (or the time you get up)
おやすみまで = Oyasumi made = Until bed-time
暮らしをみつめる = Kurashi o mitsumeru = Gazing (or staring) at how (somebody) lives
とか = To ka = And so forth. As one case of many.

The conversation seems to be going like:
"Christmas is finally here, let's do like everybody else does!"
"...For example?"
"One possibility: Spending your time gazing at your sweetheart from the time they get up until the time they go to bed."
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

"...For example?"
"One possibility: Spending your time gazing at your sweetheart from the time they get up until the time they go to bed."
But after that the other character tsukkomi and say "クリスマスに何やってんだそのカップルは!?", and I would think that it is weird to tsukkomi on that 'gazing' act (maybe it is just me).
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Hazue wrote:
"...For example?"
But after that the other character tsukkomi and say "クリスマスに何やってんだそのカップルは!?", and I would think that it is weird to tsukkomi on that 'gazing' act (maybe it is just me).
To say "What couple would do that on Christmas!?" could actually be a perfectly good response, if the implication is that they would actually do something more normal, less starry-eyed.
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

Hm...... guess I will go with that then. It is difficult to get a perfect translation after all.
Thanks

p.s. I will be back ( :wink: )
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

rpapo wrote:
Hazue wrote:I know baka-tsuki translates only novel, so I'm wondering could I still get help if I'm have problem translating a manga, not novel.
I'm sure there are many here who would help if you posted individual questions. I believe you are expected to put your own best effort forward first, and only come to the translator group when you're stuck. At least that is how it has worked for me and my translation. For the most part, the other translators have provided me clues when I have been stuck, and have only rarely given me an outright translation. That's fine with me; I am still trying to learn the language, and they are helping stretch my mental muscles.
What a beautiful misunderstanding. :lol:
While I can't speak for others, the reason why I don't give an outright translation is because I don't know the full context or know the right English words to use for a particular clause. :lol:
Hazue wrote:Ok.
Of course I had try my best to translate those words, but the translated text just feels wrong in English.
here's the original context
"せっかくのクリスマスなんじゃから他にすることがあるじゃろ!"
"....例えば?"
"恋人とおはようからおやすみまで暮らしをみつめるとか"
I need help on the 3rd sentence. I had search around the internet and found that it was a company named LION's slogan, but well it doesn't help much in translating.
For now I had translated it as "For example, gazing at each other from day to night with your lover". Which it feels wrong to me.

All helps are greatly appreciated.
While I'm not 100% sure, I'll give you my take.

Firstly, 暮らしをみつめる literally means "gazing at (daily) life". It's not talking about the two people gazing at each other. The somewhat literal translation of "恋人とおはようからおやすみまで暮らしをみつめるとか" will be "such as gazing at (daily) life from morning till night with your lover".

Secondly, it does help knowing that it's a catchphrase of LION. Because knowing what was its original purpose will actually give you clues to interpreting it, especially when this clause seems to have originated from LION. LION is actually a daily necessity manufacturer and makes household products like soap, detergent, toothpaste etc. etc. This catchphrase/slogan, "おはようからおやすみまで暮らしをみつめる", is essentially trying to promote itself as a company that can oversee and take care of one's basic daily needs.

Hope that helps you to formulate something closer.

EDIT: After reading your post on the next line, it makes even more sense. Since here, the line is trying to tell you that the speaker is suggesting the couple to go with their daily routine. So the speaker got a tsukkomi, since it's quite silly to do that on a Christmas. :lol:
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

larethian wrote: While I'm not 100% sure, I'll give you my take.

Firstly, 暮らしをみつめる literally means "gazing at (daily) life". It's not talking about the two people gazing at each other. The somewhat literal translation of "恋人とおはようからおやすみまで暮らしをみつめるとか" will be "such as gazing at (daily) life from morning till night with your lover".

Secondly, it does help knowing that it's a catchphrase of LION. Because knowing what was its original purpose will actually give you clues to interpreting it, especially when this clause seems to have originated from LION. LION is actually a daily necessity manufacturer and makes household products like soap, detergent, toothpaste etc. etc. This catchphrase/slogan, "おはようからおやすみまで暮らしをみつめる", is essentially trying to promote itself as a company that can oversee and take care of one's basic daily needs.

Hope that helps you to formulate something closer.

EDIT: After reading your post on the next line, it makes even more sense. Since here, the line is trying to tell you that the speaker is suggesting the couple to go with their daily routine. So the speaker got a tsukkomi, since it's quite silly to do that on a Christmas. :lol:
Great thanks lare-sama!!
By the way, I did realize its LION's former catchphrase which I get the overall meaning and joke, but translating it to English is a whole different case.
Oh erm.... before I continue I think I should point this out. The 4-koma manga have "恋人とおはようからおやすみまで" and " 暮らしをみつめるとか" in two separate panel.
So how do you think of this translation "Staying with your lover, from day to night, just to spend your daily routine together"?
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I think you can go with it if it feels right to you. The important thing is to preserve the nuance and effect rather than the accuracy of the words.
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

next question!

original context:
Spoiler! :
*The guys were cooking in the kitchen*
H: 男のこだけに料理して貰うのは何だか不思議な感じがしますね
M: 料理苦手とはいえ女の沽券に関わる状態だにゃあ <---- need help on this one.
This is what I got from search for "沽券に関わる": beneath one's dignity.
I translate it as "Even though I'm not good in cooking but it is beneath my dignity as a woman", which it feels somewhat wrong to me and I can't find better word for "沽券に関わる".
and
Spoiler! :
[panel 3]
I: もしかして姫酔ってる?
M: ジュースの中に一本だけ――
[panel 4]
M: 大当たりのチューハイがっ!?
S: 当たりが出たらもう1本 <---- need help on this
I: 変にお得感出すな <----- and this

I got the meaning of お得感 from http://glossary.tank.jp/t0F6A.html, and find it difficult to translate. To begin with, I can only vaguely understand the joke here.
Thanks in advance.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Hazue wrote:next question!

original context:
Spoiler! :
*The guys were cooking in the kitchen*
H: 男のこだけに料理して貰うのは何だか不思議な感じがしますね
M: 料理苦手とはいえ女の沽券に関わる状態だにゃあ <---- need help on this one.
This is what I got from search for "沽券に関わる": beneath one's dignity.
I translate it as "Even though I'm not good in cooking but it is beneath my dignity as a woman", which it feels somewhat wrong to me and I can't find better word for "沽券に関わる".

Code: Select all

沽券に関(かか)わる: 面目・体面にさしさわりがある。
女の沽券に関わる --> {discrediting/ruining the reputation of/shame of/hurting the pride of) a woman.
Hazue wrote:
Spoiler! :
[panel 3]
I: もしかして姫酔ってる?
M: ジュースの中に一本だけ――
[panel 4]
M: 大当たりのチューハイがっ!?
S: 当たりが出たらもう1本 <---- need help on this
I: 変にお得感出すな <----- and this

I got the meaning of お得感 from http://glossary.tank.jp/t0F6A.html, and find it difficult to translate. To begin with, I can only vaguely understand the joke here.
Thanks in advance.
Without more context or pictures I can't be sure of the joke, or even the situation.
当たりが出たらもう1本 : something like "I'll have another one if I get the big strike (winning the lottery or a prize, etc.)"
If you are going to translate and explain "変にお得感出すな" in its entirety, the sentence may be too long and spoil the joke. You have to be completely liberal here and to preserve the nuance of the joke, you really have to have a proper understanding of the entire strip.
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

larethian wrote:

Code: Select all

沽券に関(かか)わる: 面目・体面にさしさわりがある。
女の沽券に関わる --> {discrediting/ruining the reputation of/shame of/hurting the pride of) a woman.
Think I will just go with "It is hurting the pride of a woman".
larethian wrote: Without more context or pictures I can't be sure of the joke, or even the situation.
当たりが出たらもう1本 : something like "I'll have another one if I get the big strike (winning the lottery or a prize, etc.)"
If you are going to translate and explain "変にお得感出すな" in its entirety, the sentence may be too long and spoil the joke. You have to be completely liberal here and to preserve the nuance of the joke, you really have to have a proper understanding of the entire strip.
Basically Hime accidentally drank 'something', so M is saying she was 'lucky' enough to happen to drink the only 'prized' drink.
I guess I should feel less concerned about the quality or else I will never get the translation done.

Oh, and, thanks as always.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”