Query About Translation

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Macko Darlack
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Query About Translation

Post by Macko Darlack »

well, actually, i didn't know where to put this... i want someone plz to help me :D i need to translate sth into japanese, and as far as i don't know japanese, could someone plz help me translating?? it's just four sentences :D there they go:

1. I want to hear the wind songlike/singable/singing

2. Always memories are better... when they are good memories.

3. And there's always someone who turns them into reality.

4. This is my tribute to NC.
i hope someone could really help :D

thx beforehand!! :mrgreen:
Zyzzyva165

Re: Query About Translation

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Macko Darlack wrote:well, actually, i didn't know where to put this... i want someone plz to help me :D i need to translate sth into japanese, and as far as i don't know japanese, could someone plz help me translating?? it's just four sentences :D there they go:

1. I want to hear the wind songlike/singable/singing

2. Always memories are better... when they are good memories.

3. And there's always someone who turns them into reality.

4. This is my tribute to NC.
i hope someone could really help :D

thx beforehand!! :mrgreen:
Let me have a go. No guarantees.

1. (I'll take singing) 風が歌っているのが聴きたい。 [Kaze ga utatteiru no ga kikitai.]

2. (Do you mean 'Memories are always better...when they are good memories'?)記憶がもっといい。。。いい記憶の時。 (Kioku ga motto ii...ii kioku no toki)

3. そして、いつも誰かあのことを事実になります。 (Soshite, itsumo dareka ano koto wo jijitsu ni narimasu.)

4. (Tribute has quite a lot of meanings. I'll take it that NC is your friend.) これは記念のためにエヌシに差し上げます (Kore wa kinen no tame ni enu shi ni sashiagemasu) [This applies when NC is your lost friend or something like that.)
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

wow!! how fast!! well, i think i wasn't clear enough... :D well, I have to create a flash animation. that's my final test. and some time ago I saw "Nodame Cantabile" and i liked it veeeery much. so, i want to make a 'tribute' to this anime and dorama series. so:

1. I want to hear the wind like a song/songlike/singing/singable well, it should properly be 'I want to hear the wind cantabile'. cantabile means that words :D here the definition from wikiped:
Spoiler! :
Cantabile is a musical term meaning literally "singable" or "songlike" (Italian). It has several meanings in different contexts. In instrumental music, it indicates a particular style of playing designed to imitate the human voice. For 18th century composers, the term is often used synonymously with "cantando" (singing), and indicates a measured tempo and flexible, legato playing. For later composers, particularly in piano music, cantabile indicates the drawing out of one particular musical line against the accompaniment (compare counterpoint).
Cantabile is used as a noun to mean the first half of a double aria, followed by a cabaletta. The cantabile movement would be slower and more free-form to contrast with the structured and generally faster cabaletta. Louis Spohr subtitled his violin concerto No. 8 "in moda d'una scena cantata", "in the manner of a sung [operatic] scene"; opera arias exerted a strong influence on the "singable" cantabile melodic line in Romantic writing for stringed instruments.

maybe it can be left as: カンタービレ :D

2. Memories are always better...when they are good memories yes, that was what I meant... it was kinda confussion from my translating spanish into english :oops:

3. And there's always someone who turns them into reality. clear obvious :D

4. This is my tribute to NC. well, here NC is Nodame Cantabile... mmm it's kinda my dedicatory to the series and the person who made it up... mmm I thought tribute was the word who fitted better... otherwise, it could be "dedicated to Nodame Cantabile"...

thank u very much, very nice from u!!!

but plz, would u mind checking the last one?? and well, another little favour... I intend to 'separate' the 2 and 3 sentences in three, something like:

Memories are always better... ||| Kioku ga motto ii...
...when they are... ||| ...ii kioku...
...good memories. ||| ...no toki.

and

And there's always someone... ||| Soshite, itsumo dareka...
...who turns them... ||| ...ano koto wo jijitsu...
...into reality ||| ...ni narimasu

well, i don't think that's well 'separated'... i think it'd be possible to change the order: ..ano koto wo ni narimasu jijitsu?? argh! really need to learn japanese :D

thank very much for your time :D!

Regards!! :mrgreen:
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Macko Darlack wrote:wow!! how fast!! well, i think i wasn't clear enough... :D well, I have to create a flash animation. that's my final test. and some time ago I saw "Nodame Cantabile" and i liked it veeeery much. so, i want to make a 'tribute' to this anime and dorama series. so:

1. I want to hear the wind like a song/songlike/singing/singable well, it should properly be 'I want to hear the wind cantabile'. cantabile means that words :D here the definition from wikiped:
Spoiler! :
Cantabile is a musical term meaning literally "singable" or "songlike" (Italian). It has several meanings in different contexts. In instrumental music, it indicates a particular style of playing designed to imitate the human voice. For 18th century composers, the term is often used synonymously with "cantando" (singing), and indicates a measured tempo and flexible, legato playing. For later composers, particularly in piano music, cantabile indicates the drawing out of one particular musical line against the accompaniment (compare counterpoint).
Cantabile is used as a noun to mean the first half of a double aria, followed by a cabaletta. The cantabile movement would be slower and more free-form to contrast with the structured and generally faster cabaletta. Louis Spohr subtitled his violin concerto No. 8 "in moda d'una scena cantata", "in the manner of a sung [operatic] scene"; opera arias exerted a strong influence on the "singable" cantabile melodic line in Romantic writing for stringed instruments.

maybe it can be left as: カンタービレ :D

2. Memories are always better...when they are good memories yes, that was what I meant... it was kinda confusion from my translating spanish into english :oops:

3. And there's always someone who turns them into reality. clear obvious :D

4. This is my tribute to NC. well, here NC is Nodame Cantabile... mmm it's kinda my dedicatory to the series and the person who made it up... mmm I thought tribute was the word who fitted better... otherwise, it could be "dedicated to Nodame Cantabile"...

thank u very much, very nice from u!!!

but plz, would u mind checking the last one?? and well, another little favour... I intend to 'separate' the 2 and 3 sentences in three, something like:

Memories are always better... ||| Kioku ga motto ii...
...when they are... ||| ...ii kioku...
...good memories. ||| ...no toki.

and

And there's always someone... ||| Soshite, itsumo dareka...
...who turns them... ||| ...ano koto wo jijitsu...
...into reality ||| ...ni narimasu

well, i don't think that's well 'separated'... i think it'd be possible to change the order: ..ano koto wo ni narimasu jijitsu?? argh! really need to learn japanese :D

thank very much for your time :D!

(Well, I just happened to look at the active posts......)

1. Yeah. I think カンタビレする (add a 'suru' here) would be the best (then add a footnote or a link or something like that)

2. Sounds okay to me.

3. I think it would be better if it's like this:

And, there is always someone...
...who turns...
...them into reality...

Soshite, itsumo dareka...
...ano koto wo...
...jijitsu ni narimasu...

4. 特にエヌシに差し上げます (Toku ni enu shi ni sashiagemasu) [Specially for NC]

or これをエヌシに与えます (Kore o enu shi ni ataemasu)

[By the way, I am a noob as well. (Not even GCSE level 1) I don't mind helping, but I think it would be better if you verify it with someone who knows Japanese well. All the best.]
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

kyaa! arigatou! but it's a little bit confusing to me... I mean, which are the corrects? we keep:
1. I want to hear the wind cantabile.
風が歌っているのが聴きたい
(Kaze ga utatteiru no ga kikitai)
well... which part should change for it to be カンタビレ??? 'cause if it's no more "singing", guess sth has to change, isn't it? :D Kaze ga utatteiru cantâbire???
風が歌っているカンタビレ???

2. Memories are always better... | ...when they are... | ...good memories.
記憶がもっといい。。。 | 。。。いい記憶。。。 | 。。。の時。 
(Kioku ga motto ii... | ...ii kioku... | ...no toki)
this remains still, doesn't it?? :D thank u very much!
3. And there's always someone... | ...who turns them... | ...into reality.
そして、いつも誰か。。。 | 。。。あのことを。。。 | 。。。事実になります。
(Soshite, itsumo dareka... | ...ano koto wo... | ...jijitsu ni narimasu)
correction made, goes fine :D
4. This is my tribute to Nodame Cantabile.
特にエヌシに差し上げます
(Toku ni enu shi ni sashiagemasu) [Specially for NC]

or これをエヌシに与えます
(Kore o enu shi ni ataemasu)
does the 1st mean "This is my tribute specially for NC?? and the 2nd? cannot get the meaning/difference between them... :(
so "enu shi" being NC, can it be freely changed to: のだめ カンタービレ??? so.. 特にのだめ カンタービレに差し上げます and これをのだめ カンタービレに与えます ??? :D :D

Zyzzyva165 wrote:[By the way, I am a noob as well. (Not even GCSE level 1) I don't mind helping, but I think it would be better if you verify it with someone who knows Japanese well. All the best.]
then I should check my english first... what are noob and GCSE?? :lol: yeah, anyways, thank u very much. no problem with that :wink:

Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Macko Darlack wrote:kyaa! arigatou! but it's a little bit confusing to me... I mean, which are the corrects? we keep:
1. I want to hear the wind cantabile.
風が歌っているのが聴きたい
(Kaze ga utatteiru no ga kikitai)
well... which part should change for it to be カンタビレ??? 'cause if it's no more "singing", guess sth has to change, isn't it? :D Kaze ga utatteiru cantâbire???
風が歌っているカンタビレ???

2. Memories are always better... | ...when they are... | ...good memories.
記憶がもっといい。。。 | 。。。いい記憶。。。 | 。。。の時。 
(Kioku ga motto ii... | ...ii kioku... | ...no toki)
this remains still, doesn't it?? :D thank u very much!
3. And there's always someone... | ...who turns them... | ...into reality.
そして、いつも誰か。。。 | 。。。あのことを。。。 | 。。。事実になります。
(Soshite, itsumo dareka... | ...ano koto wo... | ...jijitsu ni narimasu)
correction made, goes fine :D
4. This is my tribute to Nodame Cantabile.
特にエヌシに差し上げます
(Toku ni enu shi ni sashiagemasu) [Specially for NC]

or これをエヌシに与えます
(Kore o enu shi ni ataemasu)
does the 1st mean "This is my tribute specially for NC?? and the 2nd? cannot get the meaning/difference between them... :(
so "enu shi" being NC, can it be freely changed to: のだめ カンタービレ??? so.. 特にのだめ カンタービレに差し上げます and これをのだめ カンタービレに与えます ??? :D :D

Zyzzyva165 wrote:[By the way, I am a noob as well. (Not even GCSE level 1) I don't mind helping, but I think it would be better if you verify it with someone who knows Japanese well. All the best.]
then I should check my english first... what are noob and GCSE?? :lol: yeah, anyways, thank u very much. no problem with that :wink:

Hehe... 'Noob' is a short form for 'nobody', which basically means greenhorn. Don't know whether it is in dictionaries or not... GCSEis a type of qualification for Japanese Language. I am not sure of it though, cuz I didn't take it.

1. 風がカンタービレしているのが聴きたい [Kaze ga kantābire shiteiru no ga kikitai] (suru means 'to do'. 'Shiteiru' means doing.)

2. Yes, but I must say that I am not sure about this one. Try confirming it with others.

3. Yes.

4. The first means 'Specially for...' The second one means 'For...' However, both are polite ways of 'giving' . This is the best way to replace dedication, which I think (to my current knowledge) does not exist in Japanese (or there is an overlap of meaning between dedicate and give).

So it is your choice to choose between 'Specially for...' or 'For...'

Yes. Just replace NC with Nodame Kantābire.

In conclusion, either 'Tokuni Nodame Kantābire-san sashiagemasu. (I recommend a -san here, to show your respect. It sort of means Mr/Ms or Sir/Mdm)

or 'Kore wo Nodame Kantābire-san ni ataemasu'

You're welcome. Glad I could help. ;)
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

yay, but since Nodame Cantabile is an anime (and dorama and manga also), is the -san applicable?? 'cause i know japanese people say Fuji-sama talking about Mount Fuji... so...

well, when i tried to transalte 4th, i got this: これ は 私 の 貢ぎ に のだめ カンタービレ です (kore wa watashi no mitugi ni Nodame Kantābire desu). was it even close?? :roll:

well, 2 and 3 no question. I'll keep "Kore wo Nodame Kantābire ni ataemasu". but why you put first "o" and later "wo"...? some difference? as for nuber 1... well, as I undertand the sentence "Kaze ga kantābire shiteiru no ga kikitai", it means "i want to hear the wind doing cantabile"? well, i don't know japanese, but if cantabile being an adj, the "doing" is strictly necessary??

sorry if causing much trouble... :roll: and.. frankly speaking... is japanese that hard to learn?? :D
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

This is what I have to say about Fujisan.

富士 (Fuji)
山 (san)

it's not さん、 which is the polite word, like "Mr. or Mrs." instead it's an alternate reading of the kanji for "Mountain." The kanji still means "mountain" though.

Fuji-san = Mt. Fuji
Fuji-yama = Mountain Fuji

think of it like that.

富士山 (fuji-san) Mt. Fuji
富士山 (fuji-yama) Mountain Fuji
ShadowZeroHeart

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

I read through the discussion...

So are those your words? or words from the manga/anime? Because if they are in the manga itself, why not get the originals to check it out?

As a tribute, won't it be better to get stuff from the actual manga/anime?

And is it really such a good idea to use a language you are unfamiliar with for your test? ^^"
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

:? thanks Krikit for the correction :D I mixed it up... disadvantages of being japanese-amateur :lol:

@ShadowZeroHeart
let me explain you. my test, my final exam, is to make a flash animation. i want to make it about a pianist (which is the plot of Nodame Cantabile). my future-to-be animation has nothing to do with the anime/manga/dorama but only I'm inspired in it (and the fact of a pianist). i like the series very much. the words are not in the manga nor the dorama nor the anime. i want to write them in my animation. and well, i want it to be japanese since my inspiration's origins is japanese. it has nothing to do with my test, it's just personal matter... I mean, were it german, the lines should be in german... it's, as i see it, a manner of respect to the original... (and if not so clear, maybe i can take an example from LotR, when the Fellowship gets to Lórien and Galariel speaks to Gimli in Khûzdul...) and I say it's a tribute, because my inspiration are the series... :D like a dedicatory of a book :D

Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Macko Darlack wrote:yay, but since Nodame Cantabile is an anime (and dorama and manga also), is the -san applicable?? 'cause i know japanese people say Fuji-sama talking about Mount Fuji... so...

well, when i tried to transalte 4th, i got this: これ は 私 の 貢ぎ に のだめ カンタービレ です (kore wa watashi no mitugi ni Nodame Kantābire desu). was it even close?? :roll:

well, 2 and 3 no question. I'll keep "Kore wo Nodame Kantābire ni ataemasu". but why you put first "o" and later "wo"...? some difference? as for nuber 1... well, as I undertand the sentence "Kaze ga kantābire shiteiru no ga kikitai", it means "i want to hear the wind doing cantabile"? well, i don't know japanese, but if cantabile being an adj, the "doing" is strictly necessary??

sorry if causing much trouble... :roll: and.. frankly speaking... is japanese that hard to learn?? :D
LOLZ... I though Cantabile is your friend os something like that...Sorry. Drop the -san. And by the way, -sama (様) is also another honorific, showing more respect than -san. It means that they are showing HUGE respect towards Mt. Fuji and they are treating it like a person (or god?). (I am not sure about this though).

(Wow... To think that you managed to find a word for tribute, when my friend and I cracked our heads in vain......)

Then, if you want to use that word, it would be:

"Kore wa Nodame Kantābile ni watashi no mutugi desu."

'Ni' is used to show that who the action is going towards. So it should be NC ni.

'Wo' is what you must type (on the keyboard) in order to get the particle を, however, its pronunciation is the same as お (o). So sometimes people type wo, sometimes o. The same goes to particle は (wa, but have to type ha) and particle へ (e, but you have to type he).

If you want Cantābile as a verb, it is a MUST to use suru. Example: 心配, anxiety; 心配する, to worry.

If you want it as an adjective, suru is not required, but I really don't get it. I mean, what would Cantābile describe then? The wind? Do you want Cantābile wind?
If so, just make it kantaabire no kaze.

Japanese is not hard to learn. If you want some basics, it is not necessary to attend courses. Though you can learn easier with a structured textbook, it is possible to self-learn the basics using the Internet. Take me for example. (I am not boasting. Glory to God) I have only started learning Japanese 6 months ago. Look where I am now: translating the Japanese light novel into English. And I DID NOT attend any classes at all, not even online ones. So qualification-wise, I am nothing. I just learn from Wiki, and a Japanese language forum (and of course animes, for conversations, which I must admit, am still struggling at...and also a friend of mine). But for basic grammar, Wiki helps you quite a lot. (This is only for reading and writing. If you want to learn how to listen and speak, GO ATTEND A CLASS!)

However, I must stress that fervour is of utmost importance. If you're learning it just for fun or trying it out, forget it. You'll throw in the towel maybe at the hiragana or katakana part, which took a fair bit of my time. And the practice part is no 5 minutes work.

I'm not discouraging you though. This is after all IMHO, or rather my experience.

(All the best in your presentation. =p)
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

(Forget to add...)

Wiki only teaches you the grammar (not all, basic ones). For vocabulary, you need to get from other sources (books/animes/manga), or you can just look them up in the dictionary.

But (as I said), if you have the fervour, these things just come naturally to you.
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

記憶がもっといい… いい記憶の時
Not sure if this is just me, but it sounds rather incomplete. I would probably tag ならば or some equivalent at the end, but it might be a language quirk of Japanese. People more knowledgable in the field should have the final say.
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

Zyzzyva165 wrote:(Wow... To think that you managed to find a word for tribute, when my friend and I cracked our heads in vain......)
wow, well... actually, i have a japanese dictionary, writer, etc, it's a freeware: WaKan, really helpful :D
Zyzzyva165 wrote:Then, if you want to use that word, it would be:
"Kore wa Nodame Kantābile ni watashi no mutugi desu."
'Ni' is used to show that who the action is going towards. So it should be NC ni.
'Wo' is what you must type (on the keyboard) in order to get the particle を, however, its pronunciation is the same as お (o). So sometimes people type wo, sometimes o. The same goes to particle は (wa, but have to type ha) and particle へ (e, but you have to type he).
jam, think I'll keep that, thank u very much :D thnx for the explanation by the way :D
Zyzzyva165 wrote:If you want Cantābile as a verb, it is a MUST to use suru. Example: 心配, anxiety; 心配する, to worry. If you want it as an adjective, suru is not required, but I really don't get it. I mean, what would Cantābile describe then? The wind? Do you want Cantābile wind?
If so, just make it kantaabire no kaze.
well, it's like saying... "I want to hear the wind harmonious..". would that be possible... well, only replacing harmonious by cantabile... dunno.. :lol:
Zyzzyva165 wrote:Japanese is not hard to learn. If you want some basics, it is not necessary to attend courses. Though you can learn easier with a structured textbook, it is possible to self-learn the basics using the Internet. Take me for example. (I am not boasting. Glory to God) I have only started learning Japanese 6 months ago. Look where I am now: translating the Japanese light novel into English. And I DID NOT attend any classes at all, not even online ones. So qualification-wise, I am nothing. I just learn from Wiki, and a Japanese language forum (and of course animes, for conversations, which I must admit, am still struggling at...and also a friend of mine). But for basic grammar, Wiki helps you quite a lot. (This is only for reading and writing. If you want to learn how to listen and speak, GO ATTEND A CLASS!)
However, I must stress that fervour is of utmost importance. If you're learning it just for fun or trying it out, forget it. You'll throw in the towel maybe at the hiragana or katakana part, which took a fair bit of my time. And the practice part is no 5 minutes work.
jam, I intend to attend classes, though... in summer I guess, 'cause got no classes... :D and yeah, I'm very keen to languages, but still i couldn't find a good grammar lesson of japanes... if u have some, could handle them to me, plz?? I'm practicing now kanas (in fact, first hiragana, then i'll start katakana)... kanji are another matter... :( oh, and if you could give me hints, I'd really appreciate it... onegai Zyzzyva-senpai!! :D
Zyzzyva165 wrote:I'm not discouraging you though. This is after all IMHO, or rather my experience.
thnk u very much. drat! what is IMHO??
Zyzzyva165 wrote:(All the best in your presentation. =p)
thnk u very much :D!!!
elkin wrote: 記憶がもっといい… いい記憶の時
Not sure if this is just me, but it sounds rather incomplete. I would probably tag ならば or some equivalent at the end, but it might be a language quirk of Japanese. People more knowledgable in the field should have the final say.
mmm, could u plz xplain...? my knowledge of japanese is minimum...

and thank u all for your help!! best regards for you! :mrgreen:
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

a bit out of the blue here..
IMHO - In My Humble Oppinion ^_^

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”