Intro to Basic Japanese Grammar

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Macko Darlack
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Intro to Basic Japanese Grammar

Post by Macko Darlack »

since the thread wasn't updated yet... i have a question :D about negatives...
Trabius wrote:Simple negative form
Now that you know stem form, you can start conjugating ru verbs into negative form. The plain negative equivalent of a ru verb is the [stem form + ない].
Examples: 食べる(taberu=to eat)--[drop る]-->食べ(たべ)--[add ない]-->食べない(minai=to not eat)
肉を食べない(niku wo tabenai)=I do not eat meat

Likewise for the formal negative equivalent of a ru verb is the [stem form + ません] 見(mi)-->見ません(mimasen=to not see).

yay, Trabius said this is the simple negative form. are there more complex forms?? 'cause, for xample, in my textbook it says (everything in kanas, the book doesn't gets into kanjis yet):

いいえ、これは ほん でわ ありません

and the following sentences in negative are the same, having でわ ありません. is this a negative form only for です?? or a different form to negativize??
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Macko Darlack wrote: yay, Trabius said this is the simple negative form. are there more complex forms?? 'cause, for xample, in my textbook it says (everything in kanas, the book doesn't gets into kanjis yet):
いいえ、これは ほん でわ ありません
and the following sentences in negative are the same, having でわ ありません. is this a negative form only for です?? or a different form to negativize??[/color]
You're right- that's just the negative form of the copula.

But there are other negative forms- they're from classical Japanese but they are still used in some cases. The two most important are the endings "-nu", which is a simple negative form used in a lot of idioms, and the ending "-zu" which is pretty much an adverbial negative... the closest English translation would be "without doing such and such." I can offer some example sentences if you want, but I can't at the moment as the machine I am using right now is not set up for Japanese.
ore wa ecchi
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ore wa ecchi »

:| i only got to the particles and got confused after that...
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Krikit »

lol, that's why there's been no replies in this thread since then :wink:
ore wa ecchi
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ore wa ecchi »

Krikit wrote:lol, that's why there's been no replies in this thread since then :wink:
WAHAHA! OMG! so sorry for necroing this thread hahah i didn't notice the date of the last reply...
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

necro-thread!

*beats it back down with a cricket bat*
:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”