Ways of addressing others

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Ways of addressing others

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Krikit wrote:Usually close friends won't use honorifics, as they are still a form of politeness. Then if they are sort of friends, but not close friends, a guy might be called -kun while a girl might be called -chan. Then as they get older and enter the business world, older people and those in more authority are called -san. friends are either -san, or close friends don't have an honorific.
In the Shakugan no Shana novel, they are calling each other *in literal translation* "Classmate Yashida"... so should it be chan or san or...?
salv87 wrote:BTW, also saw that sometimes -tan is used..
when is -tan used?
the only one i know is Shana-tan, which is hilarious ^^
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

that a good question: WHEN it is used.. for I don't know^_^
just that in a few anime's they used it (the only one I can remeber now immediatelly is the new Sekirei, one of the sekirei uses -tan when adressing to the others..)
My thoughtwould be that it somewhat more endearing for of -chan..

BTW "Classmate Yashida" seems somewhat official to me so I would go with -san in general ^_^
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Suzerain
Soushu - Suggested by Hiyono to be used

What is the difference between the two? They are from the previous translators of KnS, both for the clan chief Juugo, and i have no idea what they means, can anyone tell me the difference and which to use?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

Suzerain is English for 宗主 (soushu), though I don't think a lot of people will know the term and think it's Japanese.

Suzerain: 1. a sovereign or a state exercising political control over a dependent state, 2. History/Historical. a feudal overlord.

Which you use is up to you, since I don't really know KnS that well (like, whether their family used to be feudal lords and so on).
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

I'm using Soushu. There's a translator note in the references section that explains the meaning. The style I've taken to using is to link to the reference with the first usage, and then use it normally from then on, kind of the way the novel uses Furigana.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
Clead
Project Translator

Post by Clead »

Taking this post to SaW, you mean that EVERYTIME that Horo ask something to Lawrence refering like 'You' in the English version is in the way you said before, nushi (and the other I dont remember right)?

That means i have to edit the way of translating their talks.
Clead DE. HeavenHell:
··············"No where to run or hide I need, only somewhere to return."

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”