Translating thoughts

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Dohma
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Translating thoughts

Post by Dohma »

Usually thoughts are written within brackets, so I translate it by making it italic as I commonly see in English books. But I come across this problem a lot in LNs: suddenly the text changes to first person and then you get something like と彼は思った. Sometimes, it also happens when something is spoken.

Because I want to stay consistent in English and not change perspective, I get the urge to either put it between quotation marks or change it to third person like:
'He said/thought that...'
However, that goes against my wishes not to overly change the original meaning of the text.

Basically, I'm wondering how other translators or editors deal with this, or if there's a unwritten rule to this I don't know.
Should I change perspective, place quotes while there aren't any in the original text, or keep it literal?
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Re: Translating thoughts

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

I use brackets or " " whichever is more suitable followed by , he thought.

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

1. Directly dump the sentence there.

2. If it feels strange, just add whatever you need to—he thought, he guessed, he wondered etc.

3. If it still feels strange, rephrase it or what. Don't mind about the alter in sentence anymore. You're translating it into English (or whatever other language) and not Jap-English.

Just don't do everything mechanically the same. :mrgreen:
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
Dohma
Project Translator

Post by Dohma »

Thanks, both.

I think I'll just change it into what sounds best in English. If an editor/proofreader thinks something gets lost in the translation we can always discuss the matter.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”