[ch 1] ...all the tables were moved out into the corridor...

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

[ch 1] ...all the tables were moved out into the corridor...

Post by onizuka-gto »

...all the tables were moved out into the corridor...

My knowledge of the contents of Japanese classrooms is limited to what I've seen in various School animes, but it seems to me that "tables" should be changed to "desks" in the paragraph:
"Once I came to the classroom in the morning and discovered that all the tables were moved out to the corridor, or that there were printed stars on the school roof. Another time she was going around the school posting curse papers all over the place...you know, those Chinese vampire ones where you put the paper talisman on a vampire's forehead. I just can't understand her.
"

If this is a language issue (i.e. Japanese does not distinguish between desks and tables in the same way as English) then it might be worth looking at other places the word "table" is used to see if the same change would be appropriate there too. Any thoughts?

--BlckKnght 23:25, 3 May 2006 (PDT)

From my knowledge of both Japanese and Mandarin chinese, unlike English, there is no clear distinction between desks and tables.

For the sake of making clear distinctions between a certain type of object, as there would be in English, I think we should adapt the translations according to the context. So for the case of a class room, the translation for "table" should be interpreted as "desk", and so on so forth.

Please proceed and make the changes as you deem suitable regarding this topic.

--Da~Mike 00:30, 7 May 2006 (GMT
BlckKnght
Astral Realm

Post by BlckKnght »

Ok, I've gone ahead and changed many of the occurances of "table" with "desk" in Volume 1. The one somewhat ambiguous case is the "rectangular table" in the SOS Brigade's club room. For now, I've left it as "table". The destinction between "table" and "desk" is mostly one of use, rather than being a property of the object itself, so I think calling that one a table is fine, since they use it to play boardgames and drink tea off of, more than study.

I think I made everything consistant, but if you see any cases I've missed, please go ahead and fix them.

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”