Inconsistent tense

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Astral Realm

Inconsistent tense

Post by Guest »

My apologies for the anonymous post--my user confirmation has yet to arrive. You can find me on the wiki as user GabrielbenJamin.

I've read most of Chapter 1 so far, and I notice several instances of verb tense that does not fit in context. It seems to have a lot to do with ambiguity in the distinction between Kyon's narration (past tense, although in rare instances, present does make sense) and his internal monologue (always present tense).

Might it make things clearer to italicize or in some other way set apart the internal monologue from the rest of the text? Then it becomes much clearer which tense goes where. It may require a greater degree of deviation from the original Japanese text, but I think a better-flowing text is worth that cost. YMMV.

On a far more minor point, some dialogue is not enclosed in quotation marks (it's clearly dialogue, though--Kyon says something and another character responds in a way that indicates the line was spoken). By your leave, I'd like to rectify this second problem.

--GabrielbenJamin
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well you see, it was done that way by the author. If you have seen the anime, it's exactly like that, in the original text, the interacting characters with kyon seem to answer his seemingly internal monologue, then at other times your wondering if another one was actually spoken or not.

the ambiguity was intentional, and even if we did attempt to distinguish them, the controversy will never end. :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
garra
Astral Realm

Post by garra »

big letters.... Are you guys at college or something?

Note: incoherent comment ^_^

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”