Infinite Stratos

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
98%
No (and why)
1%
Maybe (and why)
1%

Total votes: 1332

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Infinite Stratos (IS)

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

kira0802, thanks for your comments, I never knew about the story/plot of IS, especially with the anime being that badly done. (My lack of interest in mecha is another reason why I am not interested). If possible, mind telling me(Spoiler tags or PM) more about what happened that makes you think that the story is good? The example you raised without any explanation doesn't make much sense. Especially since we all know he will get revived... Well, if he dies, thats a different story haha!

As for the "all projects should get a chance to get a teaser" is a little hard to comply. Indeed, ideally, what you said is true, but frankly speaking, we do not have enough translators, nor do translators want to translate a part of every single novel series they read. Not to forget we still have to work on the projects we are on. So I am afraid it is very unlikely we can do that for "all projects". Another reason being some projects were not suggested by us, but by readers, which makes it doubly hard to do what you asked.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:kira0802, thanks for your comments, I never knew about the story/plot of IS, especially with the anime being that badly done. (My lack of interest in mecha is another reason why I am not interested). If possible, mind telling me(Spoiler tags or PM) more about what happened that makes you think that the story is good? The example you raised without any explanation doesn't make much sense. Especially since we all know he will get revived... Well, if he dies, thats a different story haha!

As for the "all projects should get a chance to get a teaser" is a little hard to comply. Indeed, ideally, what you said is true, but frankly speaking, we do not have enough translators, nor do translators want to translate a part of every single novel series they read. Not to forget we still have to work on the projects we are on. So I am afraid it is very unlikely we can do that for "all projects". Another reason being some projects were not suggested by us, but by readers, which makes it doubly hard to do what you asked.
Well you see, in my case, I can only read English, French and Chinese. English novels are progressing slowly, and I don't even know if french LN exist. My option is to read in Chinese for IS, and the translating in the Chinese fan webpage is uploaded quickly and often. Also, the fact that I'm in Canada makes it harder, compared to some of you in Indonesia, Japan or Singapore.

As for IS series, I don't have an "explanation" for why do I like it. I think that most of the reason is the story setting : a novel that starts smooth, comedy-like and then, near the end, BANG, something interesting happens and all return to normal. But nearly every romantic-comedy-battle LN looks the same. What makes me aware of this is the fact that it seems that there is a plot, but everytime that you are near to seize the meaning of the events, it slips from your hand. For example :
Spoiler! :
If you watched the anime, you'll know that there is a mysterious IS that appears. In that case, you are thinking "oh, we'll get to know who wants to get in the way of the academy". Something like this is happening very often.
Also, one thing captivating about LN is the character monologue. The greatest exaple is Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya series. You get to know what is the guy talking, which doesn't happen in anime. And that is something that makes me smile while reading it. For example, in the novels, "20,000 brain cells got destroyed only in the morning". it isn't very, I say, "funny", but sometimes, you smile while reading naturaly. It's the same thing as if a friend comes and said "OMG, I failed an exam! I'm dead..." Even if your friend repeats it so many time, the smile will still lappear on your face, which is normal.

As for the spoilers, I'll try to make a summary from Vol.1-4 + 6. It looks like the anime will cover V1-3. Right now, I still haven't read V5-6 since the Chinese translations still haven't been translated. But I came across of a summary for V6 in a forum, so I could copy paste it, or simply link it. Right now, I'm thinking of finding the "hidden" projects. That's why I often explore the forums, be it English, French or Chinese to get them, these hidden gems. Until now, I only found one project not proposed by the fans. I'l search, search and search for pure fun.

Hmm... it seems that my comments are long enough to create a blog page LOL.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Which hidden projects do you mean? Here or in general somewhere else?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Darklor wrote:Which hidden projects do you mean? Here or in general somewhere else?
sorry if I didn't say it correctly bit what I meant was that there were LN that are unknown to a lot of manga/anime fans. In Europe and NA, LN are very unknown, so when someone suggests a project, it's becase they read the manga or watched the anime.
Kira0802

ShadowZeroHeart

kira0802 wrote:
Spoiler! :
If you watched the anime, you'll know that there is a mysterious IS that appears. In that case, you are thinking "oh, we'll get to know who wants to get in the way of the academy". Something like this is happening very often.
Also, one thing captivating about LN is the character monologue. The greatest exaple is Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya series. You get to know what is the guy talking, which doesn't happen in anime. And that is something that makes me smile while reading it. For example, in the novels, "20,000 brain cells got destroyed only in the morning". it isn't very, I say, "funny", but sometimes, you smile while reading naturaly. It's the same thing as if a friend comes and said "OMG, I failed an exam! I'm dead..." Even if your friend repeats it so many time, the smile will still lappear on your face, which is normal.

As for the spoilers, I'll try to make a summary from Vol.1-4 + 6. It looks like the anime will cover V1-3. Right now, I still haven't read V5-6 since the Chinese translations still haven't been translated. But I came across of a summary for V6 in a forum, so I could copy paste it, or simply link it. Right now, I'm thinking of finding the "hidden" projects. That's why I often explore the forums, be it English, French or Chinese to get them, these hidden gems. Until now, I only found one project not proposed by the fans. I'l search, search and search for pure fun.

Hmm... it seems that my comments are long enough to create a blog page LOL.
Okay, let me response to your reply one by one?

Firstly, in the anime, yes i saw the mysterious IS, but personally, while watching it, I was more of "What the hell is that author doing? This is dumb!" My reasoning is below:
Spoiler! :
The main character risked the life of a pilot when he assumed(without proof) that the IS is not human-piloted, despite the figure of a person in it. If he is wrong in any way, he has just murdered someone. Secondly, if IS is built for ONLY sports, why would it carry such devastating weapons? That includes the ones the IS use, and the one the main character is capable of pulling off on that IS. Not to forget how destructive those mechas are. The barrier on the stadium seems so useless too, not to forget how dumb it was that the security mechanism would lock students in the danger zone.
Secondly, its the character monologue, which is actually quite common in a lot of light novels, especially the good ones. The reason being that just watching from a third person view usually don't get you much feelings. I would sometimes even cry while reading some stories, and I am actually quite proud of that, as I think those novels/stories are really worth the tears. That or I am just a bit emotional.

Lastly, would you mind sharing the "hidden" project? I am quite curious about these, especially if they are good stories, I would love to read them... Compared to being a translator, I guess I am still much more of a reader! So sorry about that!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Re: Project Plea: Infinite Stratos (IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉)

Post by Teh_ping »

Done up to 75% now. Who wants to do Houki's bra scene?
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Rather, who wants to edit? It's necessary. Beauty aside, right now some passages don't make sense from a logical point of view/are contradicting themselves, for example:
Spoiler! :
“If you don’t fully understand anything regarding IS. Hm…if you cry and beg me, I wouldn’t mind teaching you. After all, I’m an elite amongst elites who defeated an instructor during the entrance exam.”

It feels like she purposely emphasized on the word ‘only’—eh, hm?

But: no "only" in the first line, I think. Or

She accidentally crashed into the wall and could move.
Well, you can catch most of these by just reading through it once and thinking about what the text actually says there... with "common sense"? Although the way I see it, that sense is shockingly uncommon among fan translators...
And no, I won't edit it, too painful. Literally. Can hardly type right now. And I'm not interested in IS on top of it, so ~~
Last edited by Kadi on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Kadi wrote:Rather, who wants to edit? It's necessary. Beauty aside, right now some passages don't make sense from a logical point of view/are contradicting themselves, for example:
Spoiler! :
“If you don’t fully understand anything regarding IS. Hm…if you cry and beg me, I wouldn’t mind teaching you. After all, I’m an elite amongst elites who defeated an instructor during the entrance exam.”

Well, you can catch most of these by just reading through it once and thinking about what the text actually says there... with "common sense"? Although the way I see it, that sense is rather uncommon among the generic fan translators...
And no, I won't edit it, too painful. Literally. Can hardly type right now. And I'm not interested in IS on top of it, so ~~
Good question. Do I have to do everything myself again?

Anyway, I edited those parts.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Spoiler! :
Secondly, if IS is built for ONLY sports, why would it carry such devastating weapons?
I did wonder about that myself a little too, since they were constructed for space work, but if they are really that powerful I am not really surprised that the military took over that project...

I would also like to know can every woman pilot an IS or also only special womans?

* Ah, found just now the answer:
Spoiler! :
Of course, men are overwhelming weaker. They’re powerless. It’s true that only a few can pilot an IS, but all females are potential IS pilots. In contrast, men logical can’t pilot an IS at all. If a war happens because of a difference in views between men and women, the male camp probably won’t even last 3 days. If there’s a champion, we’ll likely be suppressed within 3 hours. This is because as a superweapon, an IS far exceeds fighter planes, tanks and battleships of the past.
Also I wonder why would the ability to pilot an IS make them all so special that they have to be protected especially?
Spoiler! :
In some parts I am still courious: I am mean if every woman has the potential to be a pilot why protect them especially? I mean the normal birthrate may be like 2:1 man to woman but mens have a slightly higher death rate so that still enough womens should remain if one gets "lost" (as hard as it may sound :twisted: ;)) especially that it seems that there are'nt that many IS produced...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Teh_ping wrote:
Kadi wrote:Rather, who wants to edit? It's necessary. Beauty aside, right now some passages don't make sense from a logical point of view/are contradicting themselves, for example:
Spoiler! :

Well, you can catch most of these by just reading through it once and thinking about what the text actually says there... with "common sense"? Although the way I see it, that sense is rather uncommon among the generic fan translators...
Good question. Do I have to do everything myself again?

Anyway, I edited those parts.
well, we'll finish CH1 first. No need to hurry ; the project is going better than I thought.
Kira0802

ShadowZeroHeart

Spoiler! :
That sounds even worse... So basically a school has the capacity to fill in like 1/3 of the world's population? That is, if ALL females can pilot IS. Not to forget, the author tossed a guy into such a place, as if saying that he owns all the females in the world!

Secondly, why does HE have to go into the school? If its me, i would throw him into a lab to be studied. In the first place, don't you find it weird to have a sports event where there is only one guy and the rest are all female? Is he really worth the trouble to bend the rules just for him? I mean, which is easier? Having a sports game that consists of only females, or one that is mixed, together with lots of implications?

Thirdly, having only ONE school sounds weird? Countries would complain, since Japan would have a chance to keep all the pilots(attract the pilots to stay with benefits?) whereas other countries can only just watch and send their pilots over to be watched and all...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Hiro Hayase
Astral Realm

Post by Hiro Hayase »

zephyr325 at Animesuki has already posted some excellent summaries of volumes 1-6 and other IS terminology. Here's a link. :)
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Spoiler! :
That sounds even worse... So basically a school has the capacity to fill in like 1/3 of the world's population? That is, if ALL females can pilot IS. Not to forget, the author tossed a guy into such a place, as if saying that he owns all the females in the world!

Secondly, why does HE have to go into the school? If its me, i would throw him into a lab to be studied. In the first place, don't you find it weird to have a sports event where there is only one guy and the rest are all female? Is he really worth the trouble to bend the rules just for him? I mean, which is easier? Having a sports game that consists of only females, or one that is mixed, together with lots of implications?

Thirdly, having only ONE school sounds weird? Countries would complain, since Japan would have a chance to keep all the pilots(attract the pilots to stay with benefits?) whereas other countries can only just watch and send their pilots over to be watched and all...
in this era, people forgive any kind of plot holes, exaggerations, impractical plots as long as there is harem and moe.
ShadowZeroHeart

Well, as you mentioned, its one dangerous weapon, but isn't it weird that the Alaska treaty can even be signed? Especially with limited cores, whoever gets them can take over the world... weird it even spreads around the world to begin with...

Secondly, I have always wondered, does the so called energy shield or like prevent physical damage such as gun shots and all? If its recreational, the shield makes sense, but if its real, then its strange, since its a perfect barrier...

Thirdly, isnt it strange that the mysterious IS can break the schools barrier so easily, yet fail to break the IS barriers as easily?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Well, as you mentioned, its one dangerous weapon, but isn't it weird that the Alaska treaty can even be signed? Especially with limited cores, whoever gets them can take over the world... weird it even spreads around the world to begin with...

Secondly, I have always wondered, does the so called energy shield or like prevent physical damage such as gun shots and all? If its recreational, the shield makes sense, but if its real, then its strange, since its a perfect barrier...

Thirdly, isnt it strange that the mysterious IS can break the schools barrier so easily, yet fail to break the IS barriers as easily?
Well, first I hope that my comment will be on the forum with these time delaying approval. But no problems.

I'll try to answer these questions

1. What other countries want at first was to ''restrain'' Japan since it was this country that invented IS. The Alaska treaty was signed with the intention to not let japan take over the world with their IS. The other countries have decided to make IS too (I can't say if it's working).

2. IS was formally created for military uses before the treaty, which says that IS are there only for recreational uses or protection. Still, the number of IS pilots=military force power. The barrier, I think, should have been created for mikitry uses. That's why it's so strong. Also, the shield isn't perfect. There's a saying very suitable: Break a diamond with another diamond. That how you break a barrier. With another IS.

3. If you have ten apples and two people, each will get 5. But if you have 10 people and 2 apples, each will get 1/5. Inverse function/proportion. If you use a barrier to cover 3 cm3, it would be more effective than to cover a 1km3.

Each of my answers are simply deductions. If it doesn't work, please tell me.
Kira0802

Return to “Abandoned”