why not "Kaze no Stigma"?

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want "kaze no stigma" as the next project?

Yes
79%
No
14%
wtf is it about give more info or stfu
7%

Total votes: 28

erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

Jumpyshoes wrote:
“Not ready yet? How much longer do we have to wait, Hyoue?”

“— — Please wait a little longer,” Hyoue replied towards the seemly impatient person.

Then, that person closed his eyes pensively and walked away. The wind was blowing against Hyoue. Within the blowing wind was the air still with the ki of youma, passing beneath Hyoue’s palm. The ki of youma that passed beneath his palms was like an air that would swallow anyone, no matter whom.
For the first one, the word choice is wierd. Still has 2 meanings, and I thought the sentance meant that the ki was still (not moving). For the next two, they conflict. If you look back, you can see what it means, but I think it's wierd.

If you don't want to change it, no need to respond. I'll just keep it as is if you don't want to change it.
i see what you're saying. I forgot still can also mean not moving. the first still was to mean something still having, or still have traces (adverb).

I hope this help. Well, whatever you don't understand feel free to post it. That's the whole point of editing.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Problem with 僕だけのマドンナ is I can't find a good way to translate it... Just my Madonna has a nice ring to it imo (at least its better than 'The Madonna which belongs only to me').

No idea about 受難 either... Haven't read the book yet :D
/me claws out throat and dies
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

HolyCow:
What I meant to say was that "Just My Madonna" means something different from "僕だけのマドンナ"; it means "僕のマドンナだけ" (So I was really just trying to give a clear literal translation with "the Madonna that is mine only.")

Jumpyshoes:
Basically, except for the off chance I misread the furigana, the names in ch1 should be correct.
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

So is it okay with you if we continue using 'Just My Madonna'? It does sound better than 'The Madonna that belongs only to me', but its meaning is slightly off...

Anyone else have an idea?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Out of the two, "Just my Madonna" sounds the best.

Is he talking about a specific girl like "Shes my Madonna"?

Or is this just a general statement. Because it sounds really weird.
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

Personally, I'd rather just have "My Madonna" -- If we can't fit the entire meaning into English, might as well not add extra meanings. And in any case, in English, the assumption is usually that it's "yours only" anyway. Otherwise, it's "our" ... actually, I'm pretty sure it's similar in Japanese. So it must be some kind of extra emphasis?

I'm sure if/when we get to that book, we'll be able to better understand the title, and be able to give a better translation.
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

either works for me. we can figure it out when we get there... :D
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

This might be a wierd question, but what tense is the books written in? I think the first chapter uses past and the second uses present (I never learned about tenses, so don't know much about it).
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Well the books are written in third person and the tense can constantly change depending on the situation. Even if the book took place in the "past" it would most likely still be written in present tense, as if you were there witnissing it. I'm not exactly sure what your asking for Shoes. :?
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Jumpyshoes wrote:This might be a wierd question, but what tense is the books written in? I think the first chapter uses past and the second uses present (I never learned about tenses, so don't know much about it).
You're 13 and you've never learned about tenses? God I learned it in school while I was 9.... :?
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

HolyCow wrote:You're 13 and you've never learned about tenses? God I learned it in school while I was 9.... :?
I live in a super rich area. One of the richest counties in the US. They expect you know tenses. So I never learned it. Ever. In fact, I never learned any grammer in my life. Literally.

Now, to something on topic.
When he saw it, he was honestly, completely stunned.
Quote from chapter 1
In order to understand the situation, the Fuga Clan were summoned, thus Hyoue himself gathered the youma ki in the air to understand who the enemy is.
Quote from chapter 2.

One's present, one's past. Well, now that I think about the quotes, they aren't in same context . . . Oh well. Hope this clarifies.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

“Is it like that, good job, you can retire. — — right, how’s the health of Ryuya?"
Is Ryuya 2 u? I think the anime uses 2 u.
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

yeh, 2 u will be fine.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Thanks.
When the slices of meat of the three people was discovered, it was already dawn. This unbelievably serious situation completely shocked the entire Kannagi clan.

This is a certainty, using speed that surpasses the speed to cover your ears, killing 3 defensively prepared people without alerting anyone.
The last sentence. Does it mean that is was a certianty that the thing used speed faster than the speed to cover your ears? Is it supposed to be the speed faster than the sound that passes over your ears?
In order to understand the situation, the Fuuga Clan were summoned, thus Hyoue himself gathered the youma ki in the air to understand who the enemy is. “Hmm. T—, This is….”

Sounds of concentration. Hyoue used the reappeared youma ki, without missing any that passed through the palms, then gathering it together.
Reapeared sounds wierd. Also, isn't the ki already there? Isn't he gathering the ki?
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

Jumpyshoes wrote:Thanks.
When the slices of meat of the three people was discovered, it was already dawn. This unbelievably serious situation completely shocked the entire Kannagi clan.

This is a certainty, using speed that surpasses the speed to cover your ears, killing 3 defensively prepared people without alerting anyone.
The last sentence. Does it mean that is was a certianty that the thing used speed faster than the speed to cover your ears? Is it supposed to be the speed faster than the sound that passes over your ears?
In order to understand the situation, the Fuuga Clan were summoned, thus Hyoue himself gathered the youma ki in the air to understand who the enemy is. “Hmm. T—, This is….”

Sounds of concentration. Hyoue used the reappeared youma ki, without missing any that passed through the palms, then gathering it together.
Reapeared sounds wierd. Also, isn't the ki already there? Isn't he gathering the ki?
[This a certainty] refers to the shocking the Kannagi clan. speed to kill is less than the time it takes to cover ears... that is what it means?

I think reappeared here means that's he gathering the light traces of youma ki into more concentrate format, that's why the reappeared

Does this make sense? Let me know if it doesn't.

Return to “Kaze no Stigma”