My theory about the rise of Sasaki

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

deskoh91 wrote:I want to see the two storylines eventually connect, though I have a feeling it will be some kind of reset mechanism thingamajig again.
I think the alpha timeline is the "reset mechanism thingamajig". Or actually, for what i'm thinking may happen, it might be more accurate to call it the "control" timeline, or the "home" timeline. If Star Trek and Stargate SG-1 have taught us anything, it's that alternate timelines serve one purpose better than any other. They let you do all kinds of crazy s#!+e that you can't get away with in the "real" world for fear of alienating the fanbase or upsetting the status quo of the storyverse, which always carries a high possibility of jumping the shark. While "upsetting the status quo" in the Haruhiverse may be a bit more difficult than in most other cases, it's pretty safe to say that killing off major characters or changing the basic premise of the setting is not something that is going to happen any time soon (if ever) in the "real" Haruhiverse, but is fair game in an alternate one.

A few possibilities for what might happen in Volume 10 follow, to illustrate my point. Be warned that, while all of this is speculation, a good deal of known information and well-supported theories went into this, so some of it may happen, and thus may be considered spoilers, should someone respond to this after the volume comes out noting how much was or was not true. Also, some of this may be found to be a bit disturbing to those with sensitive sensibilities about their idea of what constitutes the Haruhiverse (as will often happen with situations involving "all kinds of crazy s#!+e"). Finally, this is NOT a fanfic. I am not a writer, and would hate to burden you with what would likely be a poor attempt at it. This is a basic outline at best.
Spoiler! :
Alphaverse--
Slider-tan eventually joins the SOS-dan, beating out the rest of the kouhei-tachi for the slot, as the rest of the members are "boring" and Haruhi decides the SOS-dan needs a genki girl. Irony ensues.

Betaverse--
Yuki keeps getting sicker, and a note is made that Kimidori cannot be found, possibly as part of an attempt to gain her help. Yuki can't contact the IDSE, or is avoiding contact to keep from spreading any possible infection. Sasaki convinces Kyon to let them try to help, to show him that they mean well, but it's either a trap or ineffective (either way, Kuyoh caused the sickness), and beta!Yuki passes away. Whether it's intentional or not, the dark SOS-dan uses the confusion to pass Haruhi's powers on to Sasaki, possibly using the massive closed space resulting from Haruhi's grief by hijacking Itsuki's powers to do so (we may get a glimpse of some inner workings here, but not the whole picture). Everything goes to white as one of the dark SOS-dan tells Kyon he shouldn't have made them use the backup plan.

Alphaverse--
alpha!Yuki and Slider-tan sense what has happened, but may not know details, and eventually Kyon finds out both that Slider-tan is a slider (duh) and that she is also Imouto-chan from yet another alternate timeline. He may or may not (ever) find out that she was the cause of the split back when she made the phone call at the beginning of Volume 9, Chapter 2). A plan is made to investigate (minus Haruhi, of course), with Slider-tan, alpha!Yuki, Kyon, and possibly one or both of the other two.

Betaverse (Sasakiverse)--
Kyon wakes up in his bed to a normal greeting by Imouto-chan and thinks at first that he had a bad nightmare, but it's shades of Disappearance when he gets to school and finds beta!Yuki gone (see above), as well as beta!Mikuru (her future never happened). The rest of the school and remaining SOS-dan probably does not notice anything amiss, and may not even remember the two missing SOS-dan members (or Ryoko, or Kimidori). Itsuki is still there, as well as a depressed Haruhi (who probably doesn't know why she's depressed). Eventually Kyon makes those two remember (if they ever forgot), and as a result drops "the bomb" on Haruhi. Haruhi immediately gains back her positive attitude, as they try to come up with a plan, but the Big Reveal has no major effects
(save for the fansquee of a "real" Haruhi finally finding out) because she no longer has her powers. Cue the dark SOS-dan, complete with powered-up versions of Tachibana and "Fujiwara" and a socially functional Kuyoh that now reminds the readers enough of Yuki to be very creepy, not to mention a fully-aware-of-her-powers Sasaki, who seems not a little unhinged.

The alpha party shows up around this time, with Slider-tan's powers leaving a link to the Alphaverse and their abilities, and we finally get something completely new, a second perspective (from alpha!Kyon). The meeting of the two Kyons is suitably epic. Things get a little weird from here on, but by the end, one or more major beta!characters have died "on camera", including at least one dark SOS-dan member (redemptive sacrifice or karmic retribution?), there's some hint to Tsuruya-san being more involved in things (in both 'verses) than previously suggested, and it becomes evident that Sasaki does not and never did have the capacity for Haruhi's powers. It was all either a big mistake or failed powerplay on the part of the (beta) dark SOS-dan members. As a result, the entire Betaverse is being destroyed, and there's nothing to be done except to have those who don't belong vacate the premises. A harrowing escape for the alpha party members follows, and we get a touching moment between beta!Haruhi and Kyon right before the lights go out.

Haruhiverse--
The group makes it back in one piece, the "real" Haruhi is none the wiser (maybe not so for other previously unknowing characters), and Slider-tan sticks around because her powers can't get her back home now due to the weirdness that happened. The "real" dark SOS-dan finds out some way that their plan has no way of working (or is outright sacked by an "angry" Yuki), so they are no longer an issue (for now). At the end, we get the obligatory Itsuki monologue highlighting to Kyon what they learned (pointing out to the readers, by omission, that we may have learned things, due to the multiple perspectives, that these characters have not), and after he leaves Kyon alone, we get a final chilling suggestion that this might not be the right Kyon...
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Spoiler! :
Alphaverse--
Slider-tan eventually joins the SOS-dan, beating out the rest of the kouhei-tachi for the slot, as the rest of the members are "boring" and Haruhi decides the SOS-dan needs a genki girl. Irony ensues.

Betaverse--
Yuki keeps getting sicker, and a note is made that Kimidori cannot be found, possibly as part of an attempt to gain her help. Yuki can't contact the IDSE, or is avoiding contact to keep from spreading any possible infection. Sasaki convinces Kyon to let them try to help, to show him that they mean well, but it's either a trap or ineffective (either way, Kuyoh caused the sickness), and beta!Yuki passes away. Whether it's intentional or not, the dark SOS-dan uses the confusion to pass Haruhi's powers on to Sasaki, possibly using the massive closed space resulting from Haruhi's grief by hijacking Itsuki's powers to do so (we may get a glimpse of some inner workings here, but not the whole picture). Everything goes to white as one of the dark SOS-dan tells Kyon he shouldn't have made them use the backup plan.

Alphaverse--
alpha!Yuki and Slider-tan sense what has happened, but may not know details, and eventually Kyon finds out both that Slider-tan is a slider (duh) and that she is also Imouto-chan from yet another alternate timeline. He may or may not (ever) find out that she was the cause of the split back when she made the phone call at the beginning of Volume 9, Chapter 2). A plan is made to investigate (minus Haruhi, of course), with Slider-tan, alpha!Yuki, Kyon, and possibly one or both of the other two.

Betaverse (Sasakiverse)--
Kyon wakes up in his bed to a normal greeting by Imouto-chan and thinks at first that he had a bad nightmare, but it's shades of Disappearance when he gets to school and finds beta!Yuki gone (see above), as well as beta!Mikuru (her future never happened). The rest of the school and remaining SOS-dan probably does not notice anything amiss, and may not even remember the two missing SOS-dan members (or Ryoko, or Kimidori). Itsuki is still there, as well as a depressed Haruhi (who probably doesn't know why she's depressed). Eventually Kyon makes those two remember (if they ever forgot), and as a result drops "the bomb" on Haruhi. Haruhi immediately gains back her positive attitude, as they try to come up with a plan, but the Big Reveal has no major effects
(save for the fansquee of a "real" Haruhi finally finding out) because she no longer has her powers. Cue the dark SOS-dan, complete with powered-up versions of Tachibana and "Fujiwara" and a socially functional Kuyoh that now reminds the readers enough of Yuki to be very creepy, not to mention a fully-aware-of-her-powers Sasaki, who seems not a little unhinged.

The alpha party shows up around this time, with Slider-tan's powers leaving a link to the Alphaverse and their abilities, and we finally get something completely new, a second perspective (from alpha!Kyon). The meeting of the two Kyons is suitably epic. Things get a little weird from here on, but by the end, one or more major beta!characters have died "on camera", including at least one dark SOS-dan member (redemptive sacrifice or karmic retribution?), there's some hint to Tsuruya-san being more involved in things (in both 'verses) than previously suggested, and it becomes evident that Sasaki does not and never did have the capacity for Haruhi's powers. It was all either a big mistake or failed powerplay on the part of the (beta) dark SOS-dan members. As a result, the entire Betaverse is being destroyed, and there's nothing to be done except to have those who don't belong vacate the premises. A harrowing escape for the alpha party members follows, and we get a touching moment between beta!Haruhi and Kyon right before the lights go out.

Haruhiverse--
The group makes it back in one piece, the "real" Haruhi is none the wiser (maybe not so for other previously unknowing characters), and Slider-tan sticks around because her powers can't get her back home now due to the weirdness that happened. The "real" dark SOS-dan finds out some way that their plan has no way of working (or is outright sacked by an "angry" Yuki), so they are no longer an issue (for now). At the end, we get the obligatory Itsuki monologue highlighting to Kyon what they learned (pointing out to the readers, by omission, that we may have learned things, due to the multiple perspectives, that these characters have not), and after he leaves Kyon alone, we get a final chilling suggestion that this might not be the right Kyon...
Everything in this would be awesome.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

These things may indeed happen.
What really interested me is that u included Imouto-chan in the plot,with actually makes sense,its suspicious that her involvement in the story is so scarce,wouldnt be surprised if she indeed played a big part in the plot(be it Haruhiverse,Sasakiverse,Whatever-verse).
In my opinion we have severely underestimated what is now the 6th(?) grader,Imouto-chan.
HAL9000
Astral Realm

Post by HAL9000 »

I agree that Beta-Yuki is likely to die, but I'm willing to flip a coin regarding the rest of it. I'll keep my own predictions to myself for now, since I change my mind about them weekly anyway.

As long as we're making full use of the alterverse, let's get a real romantic moment between Kyon and Haruhi.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

HAL9000 wrote:I agree that Beta-Yuki is likely to die, but I'm willing to flip a coin regarding the rest of it. I'll keep my own predictions to myself for now, since I change my mind about them weekly anyway.

As long as we're making full use of the alterverse, let's get a real romantic moment between Kyon and Haruhi.
Agree'd.
Boo
Astral Realm

Post by Boo »

Yuki dying? BLASPHEMY! Yuki ish too cool to die, no matter what version of her it is. >_>
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

HAL9000 wrote:As long as we're making full use of the alterverse, let's get a real romantic moment between Kyon and Haruhi.
Spoiler! :
"...and we get a touching moment between beta!Haruhi and Kyon right before the lights go out."

I'm imagining that "touching moment" as either a mutual lean-in as everything goes dark or a full-blown end of Melancholy moment (only a lot more final...). The former would be more bittersweet, but the latter would engender more fansquee, and would have more plot symmetry, especially if Haruhi initiates.
On a lighter note, the eventual KyoAni rendition of this story (being KyoAni) would have to have a previous popular anime alternate universe reference in there somewhere. I'm thinking alpha!Yuki meeting beta!Kyon with a piece of toast hanging from her mouth.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:As long as we're making full use of the alterverse, let's get a real romantic moment between Kyon and Haruhi.
Spoiler! :
"...and we get a touching moment between beta!Haruhi and Kyon right before the lights go out."

I'm imagining that "touching moment" as either a mutual lean-in as everything goes dark or a full-blown end of Melancholy moment (only a lot more final...). The former would be more bittersweet, but the latter would engender more fansquee, and would have more plot symmetry, especially if Haruhi initiates.
On a lighter note, the eventual KyoAni rendition of this story (being KyoAni) would have to have a previous popular anime alternate universe reference in there somewhere. I'm thinking alpha!Yuki meeting beta!Kyon with a piece of toast hanging from her mouth.
I really don't get the reference, sadly.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

If Yuki dies, I go too! :x
HAL9000
Astral Realm

Post by HAL9000 »

quigonkenny wrote:
Spoiler! :

Ah, gotcha. I was picturing a mutual admission of feelings, followed by a symbolic joining of clammy hands, but I'll settle for your version, too. Keep in mind, anything we get would have to be described by Kyon, so incidents of visual poignancy may not be the most likely. But I'm just speculating.
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
quigonkenny wrote:On a lighter note, the eventual KyoAni rendition of this story (being KyoAni) would have to have a previous popular anime alternate universe reference in there somewhere. I'm thinking alpha!Yuki meeting beta!Kyon with a piece of toast hanging from her mouth.
I really don't get the reference, sadly.
Take heart- not only did I not get the reference, I had to look up KyoAni to find what it was.
Boo wrote:Yuki dying? BLASPHEMY! Yuki ish too cool to die, no matter what version of her it is. >_>
Dan wrote:If Yuki dies, I go too! :x
Even if it's just a Beta-Yuki? Even if Alpha-Yuki administers karma by killing the Bizarro SOS Brigade at the end? Picture it, like right out of "The Godfather"- each villain is coldly executed by Yuki or a corworker in a horrifying montage.

Actually, if Beta-Yuki dies, I'd expect it to foreshadow Alpha-Yuki's death at the end of the series. Yuki isn't too cool to die; she's cool enough to earn a fantastic death scene, a heartbreaking, epic, sacrificial, "The rest is silence," farewell that we can enshrine in our minds. Besides, how can a being made of data die a permanent death anyway?
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

do the words whore remind you of anyone? remember Yuki isn't the only one that can delete other data beings
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

HAL9000 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: I really don't get the reference, sadly.
Take heart- not only did I not get the reference, I had to look up KyoAni to find what it was.
It's a reference to the "toast universe" Rei Ayanami from the last episode of Evangelion. There's one scene when Shinji's in his instrumentality-induced fuge or whatever and has a dream/vision of a made up/alternate version of the world where he goes to school with Rei and Asuka like a normal kid and Rei's got a piece of toast in her mouth. It's a bit before the "congratulations, congratulations" scene. I always thought it was a fairly iconic shot in the series (it ended up meme-naming the alternate universe based on this "world" that showed up in later works, after all) but now I'm not so sure, since it took me 20 minutes to find a pic depicting it, and I'm only pretty sure it's legit. Of course they did make a figure of it.

Ironically enough, I actually had it phrased at one point as "I'm thinking an Eva reference, with Slider-tan meeting beta!Kyon with a piece of toast hanging from her mouth," but I thought "Naah, if I change it to beta!Yuki I don't need to mention Eva; everyone will think of Rei and get the reference."
HAL9000 wrote:
Boo wrote:Yuki dying? BLASPHEMY! Yuki ish too cool to die, no matter what version of her it is. >_>
Dan wrote:If Yuki dies, I go too! :x
Even if it's just a Beta-Yuki? Even if Alpha-Yuki administers karma by killing the Bizarro SOS Brigade at the end? Picture it, like right out of "The Godfather"- each villain is coldly executed by Yuki or a corworker in a horrifying montage.
I'm thinking they all get whacked in one way or another. Yuki evaporates beta!Kuyoh Ryoko-sytle, after a good ten minutes of what will be the most gorgeously animated fight scene ever put to media once KyoAni gets to it. Through the wonders of instant retribution, beta!Tachibana ends up accidentally taking herself out trying to whack one of the main characters (probably alpha!Mikuru or one of the Itsukis). Just to screw with us, beta!"Fujiwara" gets to perform the obligatory "heroic sacrifice" (since he's the last one you'd expect), getting taken out by one of his above two compatriots as he "realizes the error of his ways" (and the impending end of the world) and punches his karma ticket trying to save Kyon or beta!Haruhi (or even alpha!Mikuru or Slider-tan) from them. Sasaki goes bat-$#!+ crazy due to the overflow of power and either "erases" herself in a luridly horrifying way or just loses it at the climax of the confrontation and sits in a corner cackling wildly right up to the end.
HAL9000 wrote:Besides, how can a being made of data die a permanent death anyway?
I'm seeing Yuki slapping a mind-meld grip on an unconscious Taniguchi right before she goes off to die memorably and saying "Remember..." Either him or one of the Computer Society's servers...
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

You know, kenny, if you're right about all this, I will WORSHIP you.
HAL9000
Astral Realm

Post by HAL9000 »

quigonkenny wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Besides, how can a being made of data die a permanent death anyway?
I'm seeing Yuki slapping a mind-meld grip on an unconscious Taniguchi right before she goes off to die memorably and saying "Remember..." Either him or one of the Computer Society's servers...
I'm missing the reference, again.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

HAL9000 wrote:
quigonkenny wrote: I'm seeing Yuki slapping a mind-meld grip on an unconscious Taniguchi right before she goes off to die memorably and saying "Remember..." Either him or one of the Computer Society's servers...
I'm missing the reference, again.
Might be a KH Maleficient reference, or something similar.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”