Moonlight Sculptor:Hosted

Discuss the Foreign Projects we have adopted here but are inactive

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel Translated?"

"Yes"
99%
"Not Really (Please give a reason)"
No votes
"No (Please give a reason)"
1%

Total votes: 452

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Moonlight Sculptor

Post by Mystes »

The machine translation isn't that bad...
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
azneas
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by azneas »

For most of the good parts yes, but sometimes, its pretty much impossible to figure out (especially when the point of view switches) and other times, there are random jumps that make you think "wait a minute, how did they get there?"

But yes, for the most part they are pretty readable.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Searched for more than an hour on the internet for the Chinese NAME, and I only saw someone post the englsh name in baidu. No response. And as I was to find a hint, the website said that it was expired on May 26. Sigh...
Kira0802

ReddishWhite
Astral Realm

Post by ReddishWhite »

kira0802 wrote:The machine translation isn't that bad...
Really, you can understand what's going on? I've been trying again and again to understand. In the end, I stop and think that maybe a translator will pick this up, and a couple hours later I repeat this. Is there really a problem with the whole licensing thing? The company that held the license is dead right, so no one has it at the moment. Is there worry that some other company will pick it up or what?
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

No, the worry is that it actually takes time to translate something, which is a novelty nowadays.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

kira0802 wrote:Searched for more than an hour on the internet for the Chinese NAME, and I only saw someone post the englsh name in baidu. No response. And as I was to find a hint, the website said that it was expired on May 26. Sigh...
Why do you need the Chinese name of the series anyway, when the series is totally unheard of among Chinese speakers and the name itself is very likely to be non-existent?

You may as well create a page for the series in in Baidu and Chinese wiki, and name it whatever way you like. It will then be the "official" name for all practical purposes. :lol:

Anyway probably this is not helpful to you, but the Korean name is 달빛조각사. The raws can also be easily located via Google.
Last edited by Doraneko on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

There's actually a guy who asked for 'moonlight sculptor' in baidu. Didn't get an useful reponse to it.
Kira0802

Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

kira0802 wrote:There's actually a guy who asked for 'moonlight sculptor' in baidu. Didn't get an useful reponse to it.
Yes you also said that earlier. But this doesn't change the fact that the series is unheard of among general Chinese, thus the non-existence of the Chinese name. Moreover the very fact that it gets no reply (except an ad) shows the series' popularity, or the lack thereof, in China.

There are 1.3b Chinese in China alone and countless of them overseas. I would be surprise if no single Chinese has read the English version. It also isn't that farfetched to imagine one of those who read it going to Baidu and posting a question there. Heck there are a number of ethnic Chinese in B-T and quite a few of them are watching this thread. :wink:
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Doraneko wrote:Yes you also said that earlier. But this doesn't change the fact that the series is unheard of among general Chinese, thus the non-existence of the Chinese name. Moreover the very fact that it gets no reply (except an ad) shows the series' popularity, or the lack thereof, in China.

There are 1.3b Chinese in China alone and countless of them overseas. I would be surprise if no single Chinese has read the English version. It also isn't that farfetched to imagine one of those who read it going to Baidu and posting a question there. Heck there are a number of ethnic Chinese in B-T and quite a few of them are watching this thread. :wink:
Well, you get the coonfirmation that a Chinese has read the English version. Me. :D

And also, Korean novels aren't that popular in CHinese. At least less than LNs.
Kira0802

Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

kira0802 wrote:Well, you get the coonfirmation that a Chinese has read the English version. Me. :D

And also, Korean novels aren't that popular in CHinese. At least less than LNs.
Woot I thought you were a non-Chinese when you said you tend to skip lines when reading light novels localized in Chinese.

Somehow Korean culture seems have a greater appeal to females than males, in both China and Japan. You can see tonnes of localized Korean soap dramas, but very few translated Korean LN/manga in the market.

The English-speaking otaku sphere on the other hand seems to equally welcome Japanese and Korean works, and at least has a fanbase for manhwa and Korean novels.

For all practical purposes, as long as a Korean novel/manhwa is localized, you wouldn't even know whether it is from Korea or Japan unless you read the writer's name. :lol:
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Doraneko wrote: Woot I thought you were a non-Chinese when you said you tend to skip lines when reading light novels localized in Chinese.

Somehow Korean culture seems have a greater appeal to females than males, in both China and Japan. You can see tonnes of localized Korean soap dramas, but very few translated Korean LN/manga in the market.

The English-speaking otaku sphere on the other hand seems to equally welcome Japanese and Korean works, and at least has a fanbase for manhwa and Korean novels.

For all practical purposes, as long as a Korean novel/manhwa is localized, you wouldn't even know whether it is from Korea or Japan unless you read the writer's name. :lol:
Well, you are kinda right since I'm not a Chinese citizen anymore.

In fact, I've never been to school in China. I learnt Chinese by self-study with books, TV shows and speaking with my friends/parents. Though I speak like a Chinese and look like one...

In fact, the only manga I read in Korean is Witch Hunter (which is pretty good).
Kira0802

azneas
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by azneas »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:No, the worry is that it actually takes time to translate something, which is a novelty nowadays.
Wait, so assuming a translator volunteers, this novel is green-lighted?
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I do not speak for Baka-Tsuki.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

azneas wrote:
YoakeNoHikari wrote:No, the worry is that it actually takes time to translate something, which is a novelty nowadays.
Wait, so assuming a translator volunteers, this novel is green-lighted?
Let's wait for a translator first, before thinking of what comes after. :D
Kira0802

azneas
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by azneas »

Yeah, but the second biggest problem (the first being a lack of translators) with the current Moonlight Sculptor situation is that nobody knows about it. And if more people get brainwa-*ahem* interested, the chances of finding a Korean translator will increase. Look at Sword Art Online, after Sharramoon gave it a boost, there is a full time translation team plus some others working on it. And seeing as MS is on par (personally) with SAO...

Return to “Hosted”