ONIGIRI!! Perfect Snack?

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

What's your favourite Japanese Snack?

Onigiri!
22%
Those funny long biscuit things, with different sweet coated ends!
11%
pickled daikon!
No votes
Sushi roll
28%
Other.... (please specify)
39%

Total votes: 18

Setherzam
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Setherzam »

lol that happened to me once. well not exactly with Onigiri. It was with a Chinese rice ball that my mom made and told me there was something in there.

Turns out she forgot to put it in xD
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

Rice filled onigiri reminds me of bread sandwiches. I can't find a link to the webcomic right off, but it's probably not funny without context anyway...

Setherzam:
I don't think I've ever had a true non-wrapped Chinese riceball ... what shape are they? What are they called exactly? (planning to search for pictures)

Umiman:
I have no idea what you call the palm leaf things ... I'll have to ask sometime. I do know that I've never thrown them (the palm leaves, right?) in the river. I've never lived near a river though, and I'm not that up on tradition, so that isn't saying much...

Wow, so what did I just say? My first all-spam post!
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

there's no actual name for it as far as I can remember. It's just rice and vinegar wrapped clumped around something in the center
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Anyone interested in Onigiri might want to try out this new flavour.

New needle-flavoured Onigiri, manufactured by the Sonozaki House! Mion approves! :3

Nige wa dame yo!
/me claws out throat and dies
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Are you sure it's a needle?

I think it's marker flavored-eating it will dye your mouth blue.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Hiiragi Kagami
Astral Realm

Re: ONIGIRI!! Perfect Snack?

Post by Hiiragi Kagami »

Pocky dude, all the way.
I'd like to try some onigiri, but I have no clue what to put in the middle. And yes, I want me some homemade onigiri - not some storebought stuff with a generous helping of "insert name of preservative chemical here".
And I also like choko korone! (Chocolate cornet) All you fellow Lucky Star fans know what me means:
Me made some choko korone from scratch, and it was alright. The bread was oishii, but the chocolate turned out way too bland; must have been too much milk.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

favourite snack right now, has to be kimichii

although i have to drop a HE-Depth Charge afterwards without fail.

At leased it makes a good bowel mover.

:| :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'd have to go with Japanese PEOPLE for my favorite Japanese snack.

With some Cheese Whiz they're to die for. My hunger, that is.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

You know what I found quite some time ago on the internet? Some human flavored tofu. They sell it somewhere in Japan (go figure). It gets better. The container is in the shape of a human! They are trying to soften up the cannibalistic!
derawr
Astral Realm

Post by derawr »

I like anpan. But for the most part, I really really really really love my obaachan's homemade umeboshi...She sends it over in her care packages from japan. I love them sooooo much. The stuff you get in stores are terrible and taste like chemicals and reminds me of when my class dissected pigs.

obaachan also sends random articles of clothing...like tights, socks, underwear, pajamas, t-shirts, jeans...yeah...she sends dish towels a lot, too...

But, obaachan's umeboshi is the best thing ever! Alone or with rice or whatever!

I totally had not realized how old this thread was when I posted. :/
derawr
Astral Realm

Re:

Post by derawr »

Setherzam wrote:lol that happened to me once. well not exactly with Onigiri. It was with a Chinese rice ball that my mom made and told me there was something in there.

Turns out she forgot to put it in xD

Are you talking about inarizushi? my brother loves that stuff.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Right now, I am looking forward to making myself some homemade melon pan (melon bread). I found a recipe online, got the ingredients except for the melon extract (currently in the mail), and I plan to make it on Wednesday or Thursday morning, depending on when I get the melon extract. That stuff was expensive and hard to find! I hope that it turns out alright. I want to treat my roommates and Japanese class with it. Is that not right, Yuuji?
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

geeze whats with all the necroing... I really need to get some onigiri over teh weekend but the market is so far away....
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

ainsoph9 wrote:Right now, I am looking forward to making myself some homemade melon pan (melon bread). I found a recipe online, got the ingredients except for the melon extract (currently in the mail), and I plan to make it on Wednesday or Thursday morning, depending on when I get the melon extract. That stuff was expensive and hard to find! I hope that it turns out alright. I want to treat my roommates and Japanese class with it. Is that not right, Yuuji?
HERETIC!!!!

MELON PAN SHOULD NOT TASTE LIKE MELON!
(see Shakugan no Shana book 1: The Girl with Fire in Her Eyes)
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Beware the talking cat wrote:
ainsoph9 wrote:Right now, I am looking forward to making myself some homemade melon pan (melon bread). I found a recipe online, got the ingredients except for the melon extract (currently in the mail), and I plan to make it on Wednesday or Thursday morning, depending on when I get the melon extract. That stuff was expensive and hard to find! I hope that it turns out alright. I want to treat my roommates and Japanese class with it. Is that not right, Yuuji?
HERETIC!!!!

MELON PAN SHOULD NOT TASTE LIKE MELON!
(see Shakugan no Shana book 1: The Girl with Fire in Her Eyes)
Hey, I am just following the recipe. As for seeing the first Shakugan no Shana book, I do not know where I can get that, unless the American publisher/licensor already printed it without my knowledge. Besides, the melon extract only goes in the topping, which I guess is supposed to be a frosting. This is my first time making it, so I am only really experimenting right now. Sheesh! Give me a break! :roll:

Return to “Music & Culture”