Dream ∞ Clocks (からくり夢時計)

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Dream ∞ Clocks (からくり夢時計)

Post by Krikit »

This is NOT a project request, mainly because this isn't a light novel, it's just a regular novel, which I believe has sold quite well.

Dream ∞ Clocks (からくり夢時計) Is a novel written by Kawaguchi Masayuki (川口雅幸), and released October 2008, under the Alphapolis Books (アルファポリスの本) label. It tells the story of Seiji, and the mysterious clock which turned back time…

During his sixth year of elementary school, Seiji, who’s family owns Seiji Clocks, went 12 years into the past after touching a mysterious key to a certain clock. It was a time when the shopping district was still lively, and his straitlaced older brother was still unruly, and the mother he had only seen in his dreams was actually kind —- Seiji’s irreplaceable time continues on, drawing ever closer to an end… After “Rainbow Colored Firefly,” it’s Kawaguchi Masayuki’s long awaited new release! For both Adults and Children to enjoy, DREAM ∞ CLOCKS is an emotional winter fantasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5toMXA94M0

This is a promo of the novel. Looks like a really interesting read.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Re: Dream ∞ Clocks (からくり夢時計)

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I really like the sound of this novel. I'm a fan of time travel stories. 8)
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

I'm not, give me planar travel over time travel any day.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Rectifier wrote:I'm not, give me planar travel over time travel any day.
come on man why not use time travel as a planar travel. like i set the time to go back one minute into the future at china (with the appropriate time clock and location). if you read negima
Spoiler! :
negi use his time-travel clock as a instant teleportation technique. The clock by constantly turned by his fairy sprites so he can forward himself into the future by the millisecond so that he looks like he does his goku thing. is genius i tell you.

baka baka baka
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

That is pretty much genius when you get right down to it, because think about it. when time changes, your location should too, because the earth is still moving...but your location shouldn't....only the time should change...but with all the stuff we see, when you travel time, you end up in the same location as when you started, just in a different time frame. But place should change too...but because the whole universe is moving, if you calculate the length of time, you should be able to "jump" right to a star some billions of years away, just because of the property of the moving universe, and changing time....

interesting not?
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

If that would be the case you would end up dead in space...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Darklor wrote:If that would be the case you would end up dead in space...
or worse...meeting Nercomorphs

baka baka baka
Forgot my account :p
Astral Realm

Post by Forgot my account :p »

Krikit wrote:That is pretty much genius when you get right down to it, because think about it. when time changes, your location should too, because the earth is still moving...but your location shouldn't....only the time should change...but with all the stuff we see, when you travel time, you end up in the same location as when you started, just in a different time frame. But place should change too...but because the whole universe is moving, if you calculate the length of time, you should be able to "jump" right to a star some billions of years away, just because of the property of the moving universe, and changing time....

interesting not?
You forgot about a few things though, gravity permeates through all dimensions, even time. In classical physics, it is not truly a force even though we call it one (the energy does not originate from particles) but what Einstein called gravity a space-time curvature. Even if time were to stop you wouldn't be weightless due gravity no longer becoming an affecting "force". Just as you said, the entire universe is moving. That alone is not attributed to gravity but also dark energy which causes the universe to expand at an ever increasing rate, however, it has been postulated by scientists that it is a property of space and also permeates through all its dimensions. If gravity or dark energy did originate from simply just particles that are similar to light then yes, you would be relocated due to the many forces affecting the universe during the "time-skip" and be sent just as you have noted.

Time travel does exist in classical physics as well, it is called time dilation which can arise by traveling near the speed of light or through the difference in gravitational potential (the lower the potential the slower time will pass) between different locations (this is why you hear astronauts in space aging more slowly than those on earth). In technicality we all experiencing time dilation naturally through the different attitudes and therefore different gravitation potentials making all of us "traveling through time" at different rates (although the difference is extremely small in this case). If the gravitation potentials of earth could be amplified many times over (and of course you would probably turn to mush if you tried to use this method) it could appear as if time was fast forwarded relative to earth. Mind blowing isn't it? Traveling back in time is a different matter entirely and many scientist do not believe it is possible without breaking the laws of physics.

Return to “Manga & Novel”