Novel: BEN-TO

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Novel: BEN-TO

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Demand and supply, these are the two basic concepts to trade.

Amidst the flow of these two concepts to reach an equilibrium...... Some tiny gaps will definitely be created.
And there are a bunch of people that lives within this very small area.
Betting their funds, their lives and pride, to hunt for surivial in this chaotic and extremely narrow area.

------ People call this bunch of people "Wolves".
A very interesting novel that i stumbled upon and got attracted to. Just as the title implies, it is about bentos! The most simple and essential part of life, food! A new senior high school student goes to the mart to get some dinner one day, and just as he reaches out to the "half-price" bento, he was sent flying, before he realized it. Partnering himself with a timid girl, they set off to unreveal the true happenings that goes on everyday in marts all over, and the fight for survival in a very interesting manner.

The protagonist as I mentioned, is a new senior high school student. As his hostel only provides breakfast, lunch and dinner would have to be settled upon himself. Having a monthly allowance of 30,000yen, he assumes that he can skip breakfasts during holidays and weekends(when there will be no breakfast), and that he would only spend 300yen on lunch every day. Each month has 4 weeks, thus his monthly cost would be "4 X 7 X (300 + x)"

By equating 30000 = 4 X 7 X (300 + x) = 8400+28x, x =771.42857. But as mentioned in the novel, one cannot only spend his money on food, especially for a senior high school student. So he must try to save as much as possible, and is prompted, if not forced, to join in the battle for half priced bentos!!

P.S. I do not live in Japan, but do they always have half-priced bentos for sale at night? though i am pretty sure they dont fight for them as the novel describes the battle for bentos are like.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Novel: BEN-TO

Post by b0mb3r »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Demand and supply, these are the two basic concepts to trade.

Amidst the flow of these two concepts to reach an equilibrium...... Some tiny gaps will definitely be created.
And there are a bunch of people that lives within this very small area.
Betting their funds, their lives and pride, to hunt for surivial in this chaotic and extremely narrow area.

------ People call this bunch of people "Wolves".
A very interesting novel that i stumbled upon and got attracted to. Just as the title implies, it is about bentos! The most simple and essential part of life, food! A new senior high school student goes to the mart to get some dinner one day, and just as he reaches out to the "half-price" bento, he was sent flying, before he realized it. Partnering himself with a timid girl, they set off to unreveal the true happenings that goes on everyday in marts all over, and the fight for survival in a very interesting manner.

The protagonist as I mentioned, is a new senior high school student. As his hostel only provides breakfast, lunch and dinner would have to be settled upon himself. Having a monthly allowance of 30,000yen, he assumes that he can skip breakfasts during holidays and weekends(when there will be no breakfast), and that he would only spend 300yen on lunch every day. Each month has 4 weeks, thus his monthly cost would be "4 X 7 X (300 + x)"

By equating 30000 = 4 X 7 X (300 + x) = 8400+28x, x =771.42857. But as mentioned in the novel, one cannot only spend his money on food, especially for a senior high school student. So he must try to save as much as possible, and is prompted, if not forced, to join in the battle for half priced bentos!!

P.S. I do not live in Japan, but do they always have half-priced bentos for sale at night? though i am pretty sure they dont fight for them as the novel describes the battle for bentos are like.
god japan thinks many things. hell even i can think of things they haven't but waiting for them to make it happen.

baka baka baka
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

Hmmm, last time I went to Japan I often find lots of bentos at 50% off in both supermarkets and convenience stores, every time I shop at night. Of course these bentos expire in a few hours, so they must be meant for immediate consumption (especially for raw stuff)

But a battle over that? Though the logic behind it escapes me, I'm curious on how they conduct the battle.
まず隗より始めよ。
ShadowZeroHeart

The more famous competitors have their own nicknames... The most famous ones so far are "The Ice Witch" and "The Magician"

The Ice Witch
Spoiler! :
Jumped on the protagonist's head on one battle, to head to the frontlines(where the bentos are). Swift and agile movements, used her fist to fight head-on with someone four times her body size. Yes, she got the bento that time. Claims to be bad at sports at other times, and that her advantage is the softness of her body.
The Magician
Spoiler! :
Helped the protagonist in one battle against the ARASHI. He jumped up, then jumped against the roof to land on the ARASHI to stop them in their paths. Single-handedly challenged and threatened the powers of the ARASHI. Moves swift and agile, staying off the ground the whole time by stepping on people's heads etc.
ARASHI
Spoiler! :
Rugby team, bunch of over 20 people, training by participating in the fight for bentos. Some call them a disaster, others think its an impossible task to challenge them.
Wild Boar
Spoiler! :
An oba-san, with a trolley as a weapon, she knocks people out of the way, and she would cheat taking a bunch of bentos before the actual half price timing, and asking the shop-keeper (God to the bento wolves) to label them as half price. A big nuisance.
Just for reference, might post a small bit about how they fight after my exams.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

holy crap been a while since i read this till Sharramon brought it up again. what happen, no translation?

baka baka baka
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

seems so - also seems not really interesting for me
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

It's actually a pretty awesome series.

I didn't really expect much of it before I read it ^^;; but then again I didn't expect much out of SAO either... and how wrong I was XD
Nobody move! Anybody who moves is the culprit!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So will you create a teaser?

Darklor

ShadowZeroHeart

b0mb3r wrote:holy crap been a while since i read this till Sharramon brought it up again. what happen, no translation?
Hey, this isnt the future project section... I wrote the review... Thats all...
Sharramon wrote:It's actually a pretty awesome series.

I didn't really expect much of it before I read it ^^;; but then again I didn't expect much out of SAO either... and how wrong I was XD
I agree, its a pretty awesome series...
Darklor wrote:So will you create a teaser?
Well, i will have to re-read to see which is a good part to translate, but i will have to check my timetable first... schools starting... and if i recall correctly, the entire volume is quite linked, so just translating a part may make it seem not as good as the entire novel would be... which is one of the reasons i didnt have any teasers... i think?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

A thought Sharramon were maybe interested to create one (too) ;)

Darklor

Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Darklor wrote:A thought Sharramon were maybe interested to create one (too) ;)
Well it's not impossible but I've sorta got my hands full at the moment XD

I haven't actually bought the book yet either... I'm borrowing off a friend.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Well, i will have to re-read to see which is a good part to translate, but i will have to check my timetable first... schools starting... and if i recall correctly, the entire volume is quite linked, so just translating a part may make it seem not as good as the entire novel would be... which is one of the reasons i didnt have any teasers... i think?
That's a good point too. The whole novel is a balance between serious and comedy so teasers might not be able to show how 'good' it is. For some reason the bit about birds not being free keeps popping into my head....

Most probably the biggest reason we don't have a teaser is because there aren't any translators who are thinking of working on it :D
Nobody move! Anybody who moves is the culprit!

Return to “Manga & Novel”