Mainland Chinese / Taiwanese Light novels?

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Mainland Chinese / Taiwanese Light novels?

Post by Doraneko »

Just from browsing the forums and reading the BT blog, there seems to be quite a few Chinese speakers hanging around. It is surprising that I have never seen anyone talking about Chinese light novels, since even a few Korean or English original works have their dedicated threads here.

Actually I am not too familiar with the Chinese LN scene too, and so far I have only read a Taiwanese one called 罌籠葬, which has been translated into Japanese under the name of 華葬伝 (Kasouden), published by Kadokawa. One thing I like about it is that it does not try to imitate typical light novels from Japan despite being labelled as such (looking at "Original English-language Manga"...), with ample of unique elements and a good storyline unfolded in an imaginary ancient China. To put it simply, it is a surreal reading experience with a strong Chinese flavour, but in a good and refreshing way.

My only complaint is that Kadokawa should never have published it under the Beans label... I am a straight male and think the story is fine enough to be enjoyed by fantasy lovers in general, not just girls.

ImageImage
(Click on them for the Amazon Japan pages where you can check the summaries and reviews.)

As for mainland China, unlike the well established LN scene in Taiwan, its LN industry is quite young and so far nothing has been brought across the sea (well even for Taiwan they only managed to push one title into the Japanese LN market, so it is understandable). But just reading the introduction page of their new releases, the general feel and quality doesn't seem to differ much from their Japanese counterparts like those under Dengeki or Famitsu.

Btw teasers are available here: http://www.gztwkadokawa.com/zt/new4/

Spoiler! :
《耳食者》

著者:王雨辰 绘者:KAN 上市日期:5月5日

内容介绍:

神级的吐槽技能,冰上轮舞般的阅读享受

王雨辰继国内首部点击率过亿作品《异闻录》系列后奏响本土轻小说第一华章

家里蹲的二流小说家,在外出散步的路上捡到一个以听故事为食的十四五岁神秘少女,于是开始向她讲述一个个奇异的故事。贫弱的二流作家和人生负犬警察如何卷入一个充斥着各色怪人的神秘不死家族争产闹剧?看起来像有恋尸癖、恢复力小强级的脱线杀手和一颗聒噪的美女头颅之间有着怎样吊诡而又动人的爱情?一个贫穷笨拙倒霉可怜的神灵如何依靠一群有着各种奇怪癖好的人类去解救即将迷途的“儿子”?本书想要讲述的就是一群从事特殊职业,隐藏在人群之中的所谓妖怪的故事了。
Spoiler! :
《最终之钥的碎片》

著者:张一行 绘者:ky
上市日期:5月5日

内容介绍:

起点白金作家重磅推荐,Sneaker文库插画家加盟

充满轻松气息,不脱线的超能科幻故事启动!!

随着超弦理论的完善进步,突破了三维束缚后,在那被超弦理论命名为宇宙极限的十二维世界之外,还有没有更高一层的境界?

众所追寻的答案,就在“最终之钥”。

已消失的碎片重现,“麻瓜”少年意外卷入漩涡!

从谢忆在航空港“狠狠”地撞上了超萌的长腿少女后,就落入了“麻烦”的磁场中,出现一个个奇怪的人,遇上一件件莫名其妙的事,谢忆身边的事情开始了不可控的暴走发展……
Spoiler! :
《梦想收购店》

著者:陈维 绘者:NEWREIN
上市日期:6月5日

内容介绍:

如果这世上有“梦想收购店”,你是否也愿意前来变卖?

台湾九歌少儿文学奖得主陈维携轻小说力作华丽驾临!

90后新人类的完全梦想指导手册

没有魔法、超能力、怪兽设定的现实世界是否真的那么无趣?

当平凡少年孟宇飞踏进这家神秘而古怪的店铺时,他的世界开始往非日常的轨道倾斜。

“你缺钱吗?你渴望得到什么吗?梦想收购店长年收购大小梦想,质量优劣不计,价格公道,童叟无欺……只要你愿意将梦想变卖,本店可以满足你所有欲望!”

梦想究竟价值多少?
Spoiler! :
《洛伊丝——不可思议的海之国度》

著者:春日幽铃 绘者:刘枭羽
上市日期:6月5日

内容介绍:

第7届金龙奖最佳脚本奖得主春日幽铃最新力作

少女们的梦想与友情,新世界超能力战斗剧开幕!

朵莉丝是个满脑子古怪幻想、喜欢冒险与挑战的火星少女。在这个“没有海洋这种东西存在”已成为人们普遍常识的世界,她却始终坚信自己有一天能见到真正的大海。

一天,她阴差阳错地拿走了好友的海船模型,因此被莫名其妙地卷入了一场海船上的魔法乱斗中。

那些自称洛伊丝的人们,究竟有什么来头?那些让人眼花缭乱的魔法,难道真的来自那向往已久的海洋世界? 少女朵莉丝的冒险,才刚刚开始……

So that's all I know about Chinese LN. I'd love to hear more opinions and comments from those who have been reading them regularly, like how's their quality when compare to their Japanese counterparts. :)
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mainland Chinese / Taiwanese Light novels?

Post by b0mb3r »

Holy. i know taiwan has their own manga but light novel department? hmm maybe i should re-learn chinese after i come back to america.

baka baka baka
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I didn't read a lotof Chinese LNs, but I know some fan-made novels which don't look bad. I read most of them online on book.sfacg.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Doraneko wrote:著者:张一行 绘者:ky
上市日期:5月5日

内容介绍:

起点白金作家重磅推荐,Sneaker文库插画家加盟

充满轻松气息,不脱线的超能科幻故事启动!!

随着超弦理论的完善进步,突破了三维束缚后,在那被超弦理论命名为宇宙极限的十二维世界之外,还有没有更高一层的境界?

众所追寻的答案,就在“最终之钥”。

已消失的碎片重现,“麻瓜”少年意外卷入漩涡!

从谢忆在航空港“狠狠”地撞上了超萌的长腿少女后,就落入了“麻烦”的磁场中,出现一个个奇怪的人,遇上一件件莫名其妙的事,谢忆身边的事情开始了不可控的暴走发展…
May 5th 2011, huh...I'll try this first.
Kira0802

Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

kira0802 wrote:May 5th 2011, huh...I'll try this first.
Remember to share your comments here after reading then. :)

Btw there is one word in the introduction that puzzles - "麻瓜"...
I always think it means muggles (in Harry Potter) but apparently it means something else here. :?
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Doraneko wrote:
kira0802 wrote:May 5th 2011, huh...I'll try this first.
Remember to share your comments here after reading then. :)

Btw there is one word in the introduction that puzzles - "麻瓜"...
I always think it means muggles (in Harry Potter) but apparently it means something else here. :?
Maybe it means a clumsy/troublesome guy or something like that? A mix of 麻烦 and 傻瓜.
Kira0802

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Doraneko wrote:Just from browsing the forums and reading the BT blog, there seems to be quite a few Chinese speakers hanging around. It is surprising that I have never seen anyone talking about Chinese light novels, since even a few Korean or English original works have their dedicated threads here.

Actually I am not too familiar with the Chinese LN scene too, and so far I have only read a Taiwanese one called 罌籠葬, which has been translated into Japanese under the name of 華葬伝 (Kasouden), published by Kadokawa. One thing I like about it is that it does not try to imitate typical light novels from Japan despite being labelled as such (looking at "Original English-language Manga"...), with ample of unique elements and a good storyline unfolded in an imaginary ancient China. To put it simply, it is a surreal reading experience with a strong Chinese flavour, but in a good and refreshing way.
Personally, Chinese LNs are not as common. Taiwan seems to have started imitating Japanese's light novel publishing, however, the quality in my opinion is far from good. I have read two novels by them, and personally, the first made me swear not to read another Chinese LN, the other was interesting, the plot was good, but what was much more interesting was the lack of motivation on the author's part. Generally, Chinese LN can be as good, or even better than Japanese LN, but that is only if the cards are played right. Mere imitations of Japanese LN will only make things look bad.

The two novels I read and my personal comments:

<<馬桶上的阿拉丁>> (Aladdin of the toilet bowl)
Spoiler! :
This story goes about talking about the descendents of genies. Apparently "Genie of the lamp" separated itself into many smaller parts or something, and would take on the form of its owner's wish. Upon being used by its 100th(cant recall the number exactly) user, that user shall be its owner. In this case, it was a school boy who became the owner of the toilet... I mean the genie of the toilet bowl. Some scenes were hilarious, such as the teleporting by the genie, causing someone to suddenly be in despair(kneeling on the floor), with a change of location, becomes despairing in front of the urinal. Other more memorable jokes includes one owner in desperate need of a condom, so made a genie part into a condom, so to gain its powers, it has to be reused over a hundred times, which is.... erm...

The really BAD part of the story. The plot. It was all fine and all until near the end of the first volume, and you might be reminded of your primary school composition. "IT IS ALL A DREAM!" Apparently the world that the protagonist is in is just like the dream of the real Aladdin or something. Much details has yet to be revealed, but the idea of what has been happening is all just a dream is really lame. Apparently the world is about to run out of energy, so the dream would be over, so they have to sacrifice their genies to keep the world going, or have to find some way out of the world, but I am not longer interested to find out. Please, you gotta be able to come up with a better idea than ITS ALL A DREAM!
<<百無禁忌>>
Spoiler! :
This one is way better. Firstly, Chinese culture is talked about in it. Taoism, the ideas of ghosts and death, and zombies(not the western ones, but the chinese one, think of it as moving corpses that has a human personality). The story goes about a kind girl(ghost) that does not want to possess/take over a living person's body, despite hoping to be alive once more. On one incident, she met a Taoist that gave her a body, but in return, she shall be his slave! She then gets mixed up between the battle among normal Taoists and Taboos, and conflicts that arises among them.

The most interesting part of this novel? In the start, you can see the author using more complex and complicated words, phrases and idioms. However, due to it not clicking together or something, it becomes rather awkward, and the words dont really flow. Later on, not too sure whether it is due to the author getting sick of those words, or simply realised it was having a bad influence, the story CLEARLY went much smoother with almost no such complicated words used. You may have some unpleasant feelings reading the first part, but when you arrive at the second, things go very well, which is the most noted point I have about this novel.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Did someone here hear of a novel called the Legend of Sun knights (吾命骑士) written by the same author as the one who wrote 1/2 prince?
Kira0802

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

kira0802 wrote:Did someone here hear of a novel called the Legend of Sun knights (吾命骑士) written by the same author as the one who wrote 1/2 prince?
Seen it before, but not tempted to try it... Many volumes, and the illustrations don't attract me... No idea what it is about though, but it either sounds shoujo or plain.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!

Return to “Manga & Novel”