Novel Review: Tsundere Banana Mage

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Novel Review: Tsundere Banana Mage

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

New type fantasy adventure: Tsundere Banana Mage
A new genre for Tsundere has emerged, called the Obvious Tsundere, where you combine a girl that is really bad at lying with tsundere.

Another comical novel for the win!! In this novel, it talks about an unpopular and useless protagonist, eventually becoming a hero! It sounds very common, you would say. I would agree, yet the laughter it brings is unbelievable!!

The story begins with a ball of light, floating around in search of someone with a certain quality... However, it was unable to find anyone suitable... Just as its time is almost up, it found a suitable candidate!! The protagonist of course!! Just as the ball decided to pick him, his sleeping pose(with a perverse smile in his dreams) made the ball give him up... But then there is no time to find anyone else... Just then, the protagonist... Started making perverse comments in his dreams!! And started kissing his pillow, filling it with his saliva!! The ball can't take it... But without a choice, he takes up the rule of anti-sour grape theory(Sour grape theory: The grapes you can't get are all sour!) And without a choice... the ball has entrusted the fate of the world in his hands... without a choice...

The protagonist is the descendent of two very famous mages. Normally speaking, such a person should bear very strong magic as well. However, on his 15th birthday, during his trial, he was known to be non elemental, to not even be able to use magic as to say. He then had a quarrel with his parents over it, and ran away from home, sobering in a pub nearby. In the pub, he chanced(or fate?) upon his childhood friend whom he has not seen for ten years. His childhood friend(A banana lover, banana mage as well) picked a fight with a muscular man and won easily. The cute girl approaches him, but he sadly, failed to recognise or even remember her until she told him her name... (What a start?)

She then declares that she is a treasure hunter, and is hunting for a legendary treasure, the treasure of the dragon. Its scales believed to cure all illness. The useless protagonist, with nothing better to do, decides to try being a treasure hunter as well. However, his uselessness has caused him to get a lot of scoldings from the banana mage. On several occasions, the traitless protagonist almost awoke to a new trait (Namely the M trait, M of SM, as mentioned in the novel) because of that.

While on the journey, the girl explains that she is a big fan of bananas, and idolises the hero that saved the world back then. The story goes where a demon lord tries to destroy the world, and a hero appears, wielding the sword of light, with his companions, such as the legendary dragon and all, defeats the demon lord. And she also explains that, actually, this legendary tale has covered up some important parts...

Actual story:
The demon lord wanted to destroy all VEGES from the world! However, due to the demon lord's own reasoning, the demon lord has decided to consider BANANAS as VEGES as well! The hero, a BANANA lover, cannot accept this, and arises to fight against the demon lord, wielding a BANANA blade bearing the brilliance like that of the sun. The legendary dragon, VEGETARIAN dragon, assists in his quest and they eventually won the demon lord. But due to the poor story, other people have passed down the unreal version of the story.

After much difficulties, they finally manage to reach the dungeon where the treasure of the legendary(VEGETARIAN) dragon is. However, they then found out that they have an extra companion, the demon lord himself tagging along! The guardian of the old and deceased (VEGETARIAN) dragon, a muscular man wearing only underwear, with the word "Dragon" on his head, acting all feminine was easily defeated. The protagonist then was approached by the Demon Lord to not fight, and he easily agrees(Hey, its just VEGES! And the protagonist hates VEGES too!!). However, his childhood friend asks one very important question...

"Are bananas also considered as a VEGE?"

And so, as we all can guess, the battle begins. Upon seeing his childhood friend get beated up, he then arises to fight against the demon lord, with his new awakened powers!! THE POWER OF BANANAS!! He then wields BANANA blade, BANANA armor, BANANA headband (Just image a guy wearing banana all over him), and with hatred to the original user of BANANA magic, he manages to fight against the demon lord of "Hatred for VEGES". Upon winning, the demon lord made a declaration, "So long as there is still children/people hating VEGES, I will always come back". So he replies "Every time you return, there will be heroes fighting you in the name of BANANAS!!"

This book is about a story like that, you can probably guess what kind of story it is just by this. Lots of fun, laughter, and hatred for VEGES. So, learn to overcome your fear over VEGES people!!

Below is the teaser showing how the protagonist is chosen! Also how the story started off:
Spoiler! :
In the pitch black night sky, a strange ball of light flies past quickly.

(I must hurry. I can’t stay in this world for long.)

The ball of light descends quickly, and starts to speed through the forest.

It passes through between the woods, constantly heading towards north at an extremely fast speed.

After passing through the forest, the ball of light comes to a small village.

(Is this my limit…… Guess I can only search here.)

The ball of light starts to search for the presences in the village.

(I must find someone that just became 15 tonight, and has the lineage of a mage------

------ And that person must also bear the qualification……)

The ball of light, as if praying, searches around the village with psychic powers.

And then------ Be it fate or coincidence------ There just so happens to be one such person here.

(Found him!)

Following the presence he felt, the ball of light flies to where that person is almost at the speed of light.

That is a residence residing alone at the outermost edge of the village. In a room at the corner of the house, a guy with fierce-looking eyes sleeps there.

He is clearly sleeping, why would you know that he has “fierce-looking eyes”? Because this guy actually sleeps with his eyes open.

For some reason, he hugs his pillow tightly when he sleeps.

A perverse smile can be seen at the side of his mouth.

It can be guessed, that he is probably dreaming that he is on a date with a lovely girl.

No matter who it is, someone at his age will probably have fantasized about such a scenario.

Yet for that fantasy appear directly in a dream, is also a common sight.

The youth flips his body over, his pajamas was flipped open, showing half his butt.

Not many would want to see such an eye-catching scene right?

This is just like to put asparagus instead of candles on a child’s birthday cake, so as to give him a surprise, a completely pointless action.

This chosen one is really worrying.

(I can’t choose this person.)

The ball of light decides to find someone else.

This is a smart choice.

------Yet……

(Damn, no, there is no time!)

The brilliance revolving around the ball of light is gradually dimming.

It can’t drag this any further.

The ball of light looks at the guy once again.

“Hmmm……. Hohoho…… Your so cute, come close and let me have a look……”

As expected, the guy seems to be having a perverse dream, he hugs the pillow tightly in his arms, and wriggles constantly.

Following that, a blissful smile appears on his face, and he starts to kiss his pillow.

Saliva kept flowing out of his mouth, and wet his entire pillow.

This is a really unbearable sight.

(No, this person really can’t make it.)

The powers of the ball of light grew weaker and weaker.

(I really can’t choose him.)

The light gradually disappears.

(Is he really the only one I can choose?)

The ball of light extremely reluctantly flies beside the guy.

The ocean of saliva is sparkling.

How dirty.

(Err……)

The ball of light drifts away a little. This looks just like a shy girl unsure of how to talk to the guy she secretly admires.

“Mmm, Hmm…. Phew-----Snooooooore……”

He even started to snore, sure is noisy.

(Fine, I get it! I will choose him!)

The ball of light makes up its mind.

Given the current situation, there is no one else but this guy that can let the ball of light entrust its “powers” upon.

There is no other choice.

(Fortunately, he seems to have good potential------ No problem. Even though he looks so dumb now, he is definitely a bright guy with a good blood lineage, filled with righteousness, courage and charm.)

Even though it has no evidence, the ball of light has decided to make up its mind to convince itself, convincing itself of the choice it made.

This is just like an anti-sour grape theory. (Sour grape psychology/theory: The grapes you can’t get are all sour, conversely, all grapes you can get are sweet?)

The ball of light uses the last of its energy, and flies to the back of the guy’s right hand. At this instant, a strong light slices into the darkness.

The will of the ball of light has been passed down to the guy.

(I leave the “World” in your hands now, youth.)

The soul that was possessing the ball of light left this sentence, and then disappears.

As if responding to the sentence, the guy says:

“Mmm…… Just like a melon, big and soft and cute. Hehehe……”

------He uses his right hand to grab every inch of his pillow.

This guy’s name is Niku Atala. [Name is badly translated, I don’t intend to check his name out.]

After that, he will become a useless guy that when he just reached fifteen years old, he would be jobless and claims to be a traveler, leaving the village to loiter everywhere.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Novel Review: Tsundere Banana Mage

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

This sound funny, although non-sensical. How funny is it compared to baka to test? Might try to read this if I found a scanned version somewhere XD.
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
ShadowZeroHeart

kuroi_shinigami wrote:This sound funny, although non-sensical. How funny is it compared to baka to test? Might try to read this if I found a scanned version somewhere XD.
baka to test is way better. baka to test despite its humors, can have very realistic and emotional moments.

Jokes wise, baka to test is still better, one reason being baka to test being close to our minds? also its relatively realistic. this is more for just leisure reading when you have too much time, baka to test is worth getting the time out to read.

In the first place, i would say that comparing new novels to novels like baka to test(famous, and overly good) is unfair. I would say this novel is above average(in terms of comedy, not plot-wise), but its nowhere near the "MUST-READ" category of light novel.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Holy crap sounds like my life except the whole fantasize animated life story. I'm a vegetarian who loves banana and eat one every morning. Sometimes for fun I run around "dual-wielding" them and fantasize shooting banana smoothies at rapists who deserve a taste of their own medicine in the ass. But to me it would make more sense for tomatoes to be the target of the demon lord. Tomatoes are actually a fruit but it can be deceived under a vegetable. If i can turn my title of Viscount into something else it will be:

THE TOMATO ASIAN KNIGHT aka TAK!

baka baka baka
ShadowZeroHeart

b0mb3r wrote:Holy crap sounds like my life except the whole fantasize animated life story. I'm a vegetarian who loves banana and eat one every morning. Sometimes for fun I run around "dual-wielding" them and fantasize shooting banana smoothies at rapists who deserve a taste of their own medicine in the ass. But to me it would make more sense for tomatoes to be the target of the demon lord. Tomatoes are actually a fruit but it can be deceived under a vegetable. If i can turn my title of Viscount into something else it will be:

THE TOMATO ASIAN KNIGHT aka TAK!
All thats left for you to do are the following:

1) Beat up anyone that hates veges, or claims that bananas are veges too!

2) Make an entire set of armor, headband, arm guards, sword, leg guards all out of bananas!

P.S. There is a novel, called "A brave heart of red rose". Inside this novel, there seems to be this seemingly-immortal guy, the leader of the pack(not the protagonist) who calls himself Tomato-kun. (And before Tomato-kun, he was known as Melon-kun)

P.S.2. I like Tomatoes too, though I won't be as mad as you...

P.S.3 I own a PS3 too!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

All thats left for you to do are the following:

1) I verbally abuse those who hate or don't eat veges

2) I could make an armor out of banana. What i need are some strings to keep them together and spray them so they don't get rotten and stay stiff.

3. You may call me Giallo Tomato-Kun

4. You haven't seen the Red Hulk haven't you?

5. And I don't own one cause I think I own too many but I definitely want to play some ps3 games.

baka baka baka
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Do we have an author and illustrator name and the original title for this?

Besides of this lack of information - the teaser page is created: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... anana_Mage
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.

Return to “Manga & Novel”