A heartwarming story by Keiichi Sigsawa (Kino, Allison, etc)

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: A heartwarming story by Keiichi Sigsawa (Kino, Allison,

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

This is not a question of chicken or egg first, because there is no paradox.

A time paradox occurs if something happened in the past that affects the future in a way it shouldn't. So technically speaking, the timeline did not collide anywhere, so both happened. The girl's wish was granted first, despite it being made many years later, and the guy's wish was made, similarly. In the timeline, it would be

Guy's wish granted(yesterday) -> Girl's wish granted(Today) -> Guy's wish made (goes to yesterday) -> Guy dies and death wish -> Girl wish and dies(future, goes to today)

If someone is to invent a time machine, then either that would lead to a parallel world, thus its not a time machine, or that what that does or how that affects the past, is actually part of our current history already. So there is no contradiction. interesting question, but it isn't that deep in this case.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

Like I said before, you're missing a variable in your explanation, motives of the wish. If the characters were robots who wish only for the sake of it, not because they have some motives for the wish, your explanation might make perfect sense. But, for the recurrence to start, one of the people should have the motive first. The problem is, without the guy's wish, the girl would has no motive to make the wish, and without the girl's wish, the boy would not has any motive to make his wish. In your diagram :

Guy's wish granted(yesterday) -> Girl's wish granted(Today) -> Guy's wish made (goes to yesterday) -> Guy dies and death wish -> Girl wish and dies(future, goes to today)

What set the guy make the wish to go to yesterday? It should be the girl's wish right? but what set the girl's wish is the guy's wish fulfillment and the letter he left, so if it's the same girl, as in the exact same person with exact same line of thinking, there should be no motive for the girl to make her first wish(since you assume the girl made the wish first) because at that time the guy hasn't made his wish and doesn't need to leave any letter.

ainsoph9's theory actually fit the parallel world explanation, which is why I said it might be the theory that is the closest to the truth because so far it's the most "logical" explanation for time travel paradox, as in the first girl who made the wish came from different parallel world because she is a "different" person from the girl in the second and so forth iteration of the recurrence(the first girl is the only one who made her wish not because the letter from the boy, but because of different motive. So parallel timeline-wise, she's "someone else", while the other girls are the same person who live the exact same life and made her wish because of the boy's letter).
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

kira0802 wrote:
ainsoph9 wrote:If you are familiar with Faust, you will find that people do crazy things when someone dies.
FAust? Is it the opera or theater play in which there was a mad man who made a contract with Mephisto?
Close enough.
ShadowZeroHeart

kuroi_shinigami wrote:What set the guy make the wish to go to yesterday? It should be the girl's wish right? but what set the girl's wish is the guy's wish fulfillment and the letter he left, so if it's the same girl, as in the exact same person with exact same line of thinking, there should be no motive for the girl to make her first wish(since you assume the girl made the wish first) because at that time the guy hasn't made his wish and doesn't need to leave any letter.
The guy just didn't want his girlfriend to die, so he wanted to try changing the fact of "She was in the house and suddenly turned 90 and died" I assume, while having as much time he can with her? He may not know the reason it happened, but he wants to prevent it nonetheless, so that is possible I guess? I am wondering more about why didnt he realize his girlfriend didnt die in the present haha!

I am more curious about the girl's wish. The guy wanted to make "the other her" less lonely, so what wish did she make to go back in the past?

And no, I didn't think the girl made her wish first, read my timeline? She was the last to make the wish, just that the granting of her wish brings her to much earlier. Each person only has a single wish. Consider it a chain of events, where should any part differ from it should, either a time paradox would happen or things won't happen as it did. But things did happen in this manner, so we can't really consider other alternatives.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, the only thing is that by doing as you say, you box yourself in logically by creating a situation that cannot be escaped from to create a further paradox.
ShadowZeroHeart

ainsoph9 wrote:Well, the only thing is that by doing as you say, you box yourself in logically by creating a situation that cannot be escaped from to create a further paradox.
LOLz, maybe, but still, what is it that the girl wished for? I still cant be sure?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

In a sense, it does not matter what she wished for because we know at least some of the results of said wish, which would imply that the wish was granted to some extent or that the wish was somehow corrupted to become the way things worked out. For example, if she wished to be the richest person in the world and ended up being the poorest person in the world or somewhere between, all we really know or may need to know if the outcome of the wish, despite any deception involved, unless the author indicates otherwise.
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
LOLz, maybe, but still, what is it that the girl wished for? I still cant be sure?
Well, my money is on thanking the guy for saving her in the past in exchange for his musical ability, but we'll never know for sure. Even the price of her wish is ambiguous. What does the devil means when he(or she?) said that the price is her life? Her current life, which should not have that long left, or her young self's life?
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
ShadowZeroHeart

kuroi_shinigami wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Well, my money is on thanking the guy for saving her in the past in exchange for his musical ability, but we'll never know for sure. Even the price of her wish is ambiguous. What does the devil means when he(or she?) said that the price is her life? Her current life, which should not have that long left, or her young self's life?
The price is her life, which is why she died upon meeting the guy?

And if it is to thank him, it would be weird because he has yet to save her with his musical ability?

I would think her wish is to be buried along with her husband's ashes? So bringing her back in time would make the young guy bury her with the ashes altogether, so his deathwish, her personal wish are both granted at the same time? either that or its the compassion of the devil that allowed it to happen.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I do not think that it is compassion, given that violates the definition of the character.

Return to “Manga & Novel”