Online Storage

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Online Storage

Post by ainsoph9 »

Would anyone here happen to know of a website that allows you to store pictures and view them online while allowing you to directing download them from their source site to the storage site without ever touching your hard drive?
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Online Storage

Post by larethian »

ainsoph9 wrote:Would anyone here happen to know of a website that allows you to store pictures and view them online while allowing you to directing download them from their source site to the storage site without ever touching your hard drive?
Picasa web album. It uses your google login, and not blocked in most places unlike imageshack.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I forgot to add that the pictures would be in zip files and need to be unzipped there or elsewhere to be stored there.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

ainsoph9 wrote:I forgot to add that the pictures would be in zip files and need to be unzipped there or elsewhere to be stored there.
Is there really a necessity to zip? Since images are largely compressed themselves, zipping won't change file sizes that much AFAIK.
I think you can view files in a zip/rar archive in Google docs, though I have never tried it.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, what I am trying to get files off of a site that come in zip files. I need to have them unzipped and stored on the online storage. I have been able to get the files into my MediaFire account, but I cannot get WobZip to recognize them. If I could get them to WobZip or some other site and back to MediaFire or Picasa, I would be fine.
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

what exactly is wrong with downloading them, unzipping, and then uploading them?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I am trying to find a way to do this without it touching my computer. I am kind of doing it as a challenge for a "proof of concept" kind of thing in a sense. If it works, I will probably do it more in the future. If not, I will try to think of something else.

I wrote to the person/people operating WobZip about the MediaFire error, but I have yet to hear a response.
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

Well, you can probably write a script that pulls the files using http, unzips into a temporary directory, then uses ftp to upload to the hosts that support ftp upload (not sure if there are image sharing sites that have such an API, but there are definitely file sharing ones that do (or.. there were)), then deletes the temporary files.

That's still "cheating" since it's still going through your computer, but I don't think you're going to be able to find some online tool that does this for you.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

WopZip does do that, but it just does not like getting the files from MediaFire for some reason. :?

Also, I am not that savvy in terms of my programming skills. If I were, I probably would not be writing this right now.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Photobucket?

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Will it extract the zip files online though?
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

uhm, the only place I would know that actually does this is Fakku!, of which, I won't let you use my uploader privileges. (You can set it to private.)
ainsoph9 wrote:WopZip does do that, but it just does not like getting the files from MediaFire for some reason. :?

Also, I am not that savvy in terms of my programming skills. If I were, I probably would not be writing this right now.
Is it set to private or public or locked with password?

I've never used wobzip, but, I doubt anything can get something if it's protected.....though, I think you're smarter than that. :roll:
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I try to avoid that website, so I really would not ask anyhow. :wink:

Wobzip does not have those privacy settings on it.

Wobzip's response:
Hi

I am afraid that Wobzip does not unzip directly from MediaFire. This is because MediaFire links are not direct link to the file. Instead they have an intermediate page that prevents others from accessing their files. This page contains a security feature like captcha, which Wobzip is unable to decode.

You will have to download the file from MediaFire and then upload it to Wobzip to unzip. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
WOBZIP Support Team
Are there any web storage sites that do not use this intermediate page and captcha?
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Well, obviously for most, as wobzip is quite popular (so you'd assume their on the leading edge), you have to have a direct-to-file hyperlink (i.e.: (Not a link)http://yyy.com/db/unzipme.zip)
[That's what the thing is telling you]

So, either you need to find a storage site that gets you direct to link, or host it somewhere else, with a direct link.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, that is what I am having a hard time finding.

Return to “Games & Computing”