Salvage Question

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rectifier
Astral Realm

Salvage Question

Post by Rectifier »

So my over 2 years old dell laptop has finally bit the dust, a video card related glitch has effected it and essentially made it unusable.

Question: How can I take my laptop's hard drive and 'salvage' it, i.e. Convert it into a USB drive or something like that?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Salvage Question

Post by b0mb3r »

Rectifier wrote:Convert it into a Terminator or something like that?
fixed

baka baka baka
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Assassin »

b0mb3r wrote:
Rectifier wrote:Convert it into a Terminator or something like that?
fixed
... You... Never mind.
Rectifier wrote:So my over 2 years old dell laptop has finally bit the dust, a video card related glitch has effected it and essentially made it unusable.

Question: How can I take my laptop's hard drive and 'salvage' it, i.e. Convert it into a USB drive or something like that?

Hmm... I find it hard to explain stuff unless if you can understand the way I explain stuff.

Basically beneath your laptop is a cover you can open in which it will reveal some components you can take out including the hard disk and RAM. Unscrew the hard disk from your laptop and if it is SATA compatible then I suppose you can just jack it into an available SATA port in your computer? Anyway this is the method I have done and understood it that way. Using the laptop's hard disk is as easy as installing a secondary hard disk onto your computer, only that you don't need a reformat for it since it already has data in it in which you can access after installing it and a quick restart.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Indeed. You may also buy a hard drive enclosure for a 2.5" drive, which would be more a portable hard drive.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

Beware the talking cat wrote:Indeed. You may also buy a hard drive enclosure for a 2.5" drive, which would be more a portable hard drive.
I don't think there's much a need for that, but if he plans to permanently stick it out of the laptop then that idea works as well.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

That would be interesting as I have an eSATA port and a USB 3.0 port.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Rectifier wrote:That would be interesting as I have an John Connor port X Terminator port.
Fixed. You love intersex between man and machine don't ya.

baka baka baka
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I wish my computer had an eSata port. Though I'm not sure what I would do with it.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.

Return to “Games & Computing”