Proposal to commercialize English Clannad

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Proposal to commercialize English Clannad

Post by Mystes »

spriggan10 wrote:Polarem (& all) -> Absolutely. More news as it breaks.
What are you planning to do now, @spriggan10 ? Do you have serious thoughts of getting it done?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
spriggan10
Astral Realm

Post by spriggan10 »

kira0802 wrote: What are you planning to do now, @spriggan10 ? Do you have serious thoughts of getting it done?
Sorry for the late reply - I'd stopped checking for updates recently. I'm prioritizing other projects now, but will continue to circle Clannad. I'm still keen to see an English version of Clannad , particularly on the platforms we mentioned; provided that the main obstacles of reaching a deal with Key/VA and the sheer volume of translation can be overcome and it can be marketed effectively, I do believe that there it will find a welcoming audience overseas.

I wish I had something more concrete to report back, but in short, it's on the backburner.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

If those "other projects" include more VNs and/or doujin games, please feel free to drop a line in here. I cannot speak for the rest of my comrades here, but I know I would be interested in learning more about that and helping, if possible. :)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:If those "other projects" include more VNs and/or doujin games, please feel free to drop a line in here. I cannot speak for the rest of my comrades here, but I know I would be interested in learning more about that and helping, if possible. :)
You're actually a Lord Temporal Viscout.

BOT: Has Key started negotiating yet?
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I wonder how negotiations would proceed, if at all... :?
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I doubt they would go well. I mean fan translation? Thats already a red flag for licensors.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Not always...
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Well I say tread carefully.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
spriggan10
Astral Realm

Post by spriggan10 »

ainsoph9 > In the short term, 'other projects' are non VN games, but I definitely plan to return to them and will be happy to touch base then.

JBTW, I suspect that MangaGamer and JAST's entrenched relationships with other VN publishers may be keeping Key/VA from negotiating with them. If that is the case, I would expect that someone with no ties to competitor organizations, a solid business plan and good industry chops to have a better chance of opening that particular door.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

spriggan10, that sounds good. Frankly, I have more of an interest in doujin games outside of VNs like this list of games. (You may need a membership for the forum to view the games.)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

@spriggan10 Does your group have the intention of releasing another game like Clannad?
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Given that he said "non VNs," I would take that to mean no for the near term.
spriggan10
Astral Realm

Post by spriggan10 »

ainsoph9 wrote:spriggan10, that sounds good. Frankly, I have more of an interest in doujin games outside of VNs like this list of games. (You may need a membership for the forum to view the games.)
Thanks for the link, ainsoph! I'm always on the look-out for strong indie games and this is a huge help. Clearly I need to spend more time on Doujinstyle.

If you have any particular favorites or games you would recommend yourself, please let me know.

kira0802 > What ainsoph9 said! ;)

Cheers!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Of the games listed there, I would recommend Lilian Fourhand (a fun MariMite sidescroller), MegaMari (a Megaman/Touhou fan game), Rosenkreuz Stilette (another Megaman rip), Touhou Koumajou Densetsu 1 &2 (a Castlevania/Touhou game), Eternal Fighter Zero (a fighter game featuring various characters from Key games), Gadget Trial (an addictive strategy game like FF Tactics Advanced), Magic Battle Arena (a mahou shoujo fighter), Melty Blood (I cannot remember if this is getting ported or not...It features the characters of Tsukihime), Vanguard Princess (decent; claim to fame is it was designed by a former Capcom employee), Magical Cannon Girl (a cute mahou shoujo shooter), Strike Witches STG (a Strike Witches shooter), Tsundere Wars (a short, cute shooter), Battle Moon Wars (a strategy RPG with characters from various anime series; might be hard to get all of the rights...), and the Touhou games (ZUN generally tries to keep a leash on these things though from what I know...). I know that there are a few other gems in there, but these are a start. The order of the list is just the same order as scrolling down on the page.
spriggan10
Astral Realm

Post by spriggan10 »

ainsoph9 wrote:Of the games listed there, I would recommend Lilian Fourhand (a fun MariMite sidescroller), MegaMari (a Megaman/Touhou fan game), Rosenkreuz Stilette (another Megaman rip), Touhou Koumajou Densetsu 1 &2 (a Castlevania/Touhou game), Eternal Fighter Zero (a fighter game featuring various characters from Key games), Gadget Trial (an addictive strategy game like FF Tactics Advanced), Magic Battle Arena (a mahou shoujo fighter), Melty Blood (I cannot remember if this is getting ported or not...It features the characters of Tsukihime), Vanguard Princess (decent; claim to fame is it was designed by a former Capcom employee), Magical Cannon Girl (a cute mahou shoujo shooter), Strike Witches STG (a Strike Witches shooter), Tsundere Wars (a short, cute shooter), Battle Moon Wars (a strategy RPG with characters from various anime series; might be hard to get all of the rights...), and the Touhou games (ZUN generally tries to keep a leash on these things though from what I know...). I know that there are a few other gems in there, but these are a start. The order of the list is just the same order as scrolling down on the page.
Thanks for the list. As you mentioned, unfortunately, until Zun gets a bit more flexible, we won't be bringing any Touhou Project games OR games containing Touhou Project characters (of which there are a lot!) any time soon. Similarly, Type-Moon has no interest in developing their IP overseas right now, so Melty Blood and all the other T-M goodness are out of bounds. That said, I have an approach in mind for these guys that is worth a shot ;)

Extraordinary cases aside, the pool is limited to original doujin games, which is a curse in that so many good games become off-limits and a blessing in does make it easier to identify which ones are potential 'goers'.

I'll certainly check out the rest of your suggestions - thanks again!

Return to “Games & Computing”