PS3 - Must Have Games?

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: PS3 - Must Have Games?

Post by Darklor »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Darklor, did you not realize you had resurrected a 2-month old thread? :evil:
It wasnt that long dead! Also I have no problem with that I would even do that for a two year old thread (so as a Necromancer ;)) :twisted:, as long as it is compatible with the theme. Better as creating always a new thread with the same theme... :x

As for Tales of Vesperia wrong platform... :(

Also I would prefer to play shooters on the PC if I play those... :mrgreen:
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Darklor wrote:As for Tales of Vesperia wrong platform... :(
sigh:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1060286p1.html

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

b0mb3r wrote: I heard you can skyjump and stuff. AC2. I didn't enjoy AC1 not sure I am going to enjoy the second one. similar reason to GTAIV, repetition. combat is still one-to-one hand. I thought ubisoft already mastered it from the 1st Prince of Persia game they. that's more exciting than this crap. still if you are a history junkie this is for you. again the redeeming thing about it may be the story. Unforuately this game is another victim where the game seem incomplete and you need to DLC stuff. Why can't we have everything on hand first instead the same the awesome stuff for money. excuse my rant.
I've seen some of the gameplay of AC1 and AC2 on youtube, as well as played a bit of AC2 on my cousin's PS3, so I can feel AC2 is far better than AC1. AC1 tends to be a bit repetitive in how missions and assassinations are carried out, AC2 has more variety. And being a history buff helps I guess.

And if only the DLC is free, then I wouldn't have mind them trolling gamers for it.
games you should get is:

Batman AA - Greatest Batman game ever
Bioshock 1/2 - Strong Stories
Blaz Blue - Fast-paced Fighting
Dead Space - Scariest Game
Tales of Vesperia - Best RPG
Uncharted 2 - Prefer this over Gays of War
Thanks for the recommendation, will certainly have a look at them. Though I'm pretty crap at FPS and survivor horror (mainly because I'm too cowardly to play alone in the dark :) ).
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Agh, I thought at first you mean Armored Core with AC... ;)

Darklor

Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

I didn't think Dead Space was "scary," I think that it had shock moments that made you go "wtf that's messed up," and had moments that made you jump because it was surprising, particularly due to the excellent audio cues, but the game wasn't a scary experience throughout (particularly after you get used to the audio cues).

I'd actually give Dead Space a different award, particularly on the PC version, whatever the dev team did, the game is very well optimized, it ran beautifully on my previous laptop without any changes to the graphics.

Some things that bothered me (sort of):

1. The first gun is the best one.
2. Upgrading is a good idea but I'd like to refund points and reallocate them.
3. The mouse slid too much for me at first and made initial gameplay difficult, although I attribute this to the game likely being a port to PC rather than the other way around.

Everything else was cool though, I liked the in-game menus and the videos/audio were a great addition, clearly used from Doom 3 as well as many other gameplay aspects and tweaked for Dead Space. I suppose I'm biased though, because I liked Doom 3 and this game was really similar. I'd say the main difference between the two games is that Dead Space requires a certain amount of composure and precision constantly for effective shooting whereas Doom 3 can devolve into a frantic spray and pray on the easier modes and still be beaten. I can honestly say that Dead Space is a better game because this focus on keeping composure during a stressful firefight is much more realistic to true fire fights where a single mistake can lead to an early grave.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Games I am excited for:

Heavy Rain: Point-Click Adventure
Just Cause 2: What GTA4 should've have been
Lost Planet II: my version of Monster Hunter + Shadow of the Colossus
God of War III: after a bad taste in Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno made the GoW3 demo much better
Splinter Cell Conviction: Looks like a better version to the Jason Bourne games.

Non-PS3 Games I want to play:

Metroid: Other M
Halo: Reach

I think the only good original games of the generation are non-AAA games like the indies franchises. seriously buy some and support them. simple and creative is what makes me tick happily.

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ben1234 »

Has anyone mentioned Demon's Souls yet?

Because I'm going to mention it now...

I've heard White Knight Chronicles was good too
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ oni did.

baka baka baka
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

b0mb3r wrote:^ oni did.

I did? O_o

well, erm..

You should get:

White knight Chronicles <- Haven't got it yet, but been eyeing it! need some mecha rpging until "Front Mission" comes!

Armored Core 4: For Answers <-- love this game played it to death, still haven't finished all the missions or gotten half of the Hard missions.

Just Cause 2 <- lots of mindless fun.

Hesitate to mention Modern Warfare 2, because its a bit old now and you'll just get pwned online, plus it gets boring after a while.
But co-op split screen is still fun.

Maybe get Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

Maybe Resonate of Fate? <-- looks nice, not so sure yet....have to read somemore reviews in it.

Tales 0f Versperia!!! Will be getting this when the Englis hversion comes out, its taking forever....
:(

hmmm.....oh Demon soul as well, but i heard its really hard, so I haven't got it yet. I know I should but....meh.

And since we are going about future releases, Armoured Core 5 and Front mission is a must!!

Forget qbout Gundam ones though...MEH!

Also, MAG looks interesting but get it when the price drops...probably....

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I'm eating MAG up right now. It's refreshing actually using teamwork and completing objectives instead of aimlessly killing people.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:I'm eating MAG up right now. It's refreshing actually using teamwork and completing objectives instead of aimlessly killing people.

don't tempt me! It looks like the game I wanted the old "Battlefield" to be!

Then again, I miss jumping into a transport helicopter on an Aircraft carrier and picking up troops be fore blazing away to the first flag to take it, while just hovering, then speed off to the next flag to dump my cargo and get away before I die! :p

Good times!

Then the jets came and ruined everything.... D:

bah...

I miss my gaming pc....
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

onizuka-gto wrote:Tales 0f Versperia!!! Will be getting this when the Englis hversion comes out, its taking forever....
sigh there was news namco don't want it translate...

baka baka baka
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

onizuka-gto wrote:
Armored Core 4: For Answers <-- love this game played it to death, still haven't finished all the missions or gotten half of the Hard missions.

Just Cause 2 <- lots of mindless fun.

Hesitate to mention Modern Warfare 2, because its a bit old now and you'll just get pwned online, plus it gets boring after a while.
But co-op split screen is still fun.

Armored Core 4: For Answers: Have it (since it has had Mechas in it), but havent it played much... wish it would have been more fun to play...

Just Cause 2 - you mentioned a demo? - but probably not for Germany - we're missing so much things (especially in Home) :(

I think its still too expansive for a game I would probably not play that much especially with a PS3, since I havent really liked the control of other similar games ... not that I have that many games ;)

Darklor

Moe_Ronn
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Moe_Ronn »

If Another Century's Episode R follows the steps of its predecessors, you must get it.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! ......wait what was I doing again?
draexem
Astral Realm

Post by draexem »

Must have games? There haven't really been many this generation.

Valkyria Chronicles - One of a kind strategy/FPS game with rpg elements. Strong plot, gorgeous graphics, very strong characters, great dialogue and voice acting and is just very fun. Not only that but it's price has been significantly reduced. This is one of those genre breaking games you really won't see again, it's a bonus that it's a very good one. All PS3 owners need to at least give this game a go, then read the manga (skip the anime), then buy the sequel when it comes out soon on the PSP.

Dragon Age - Spritual successor to Baldur's Gate. Bioware proving that isometric top down rpgs can still be huge hits. Story is brilliant, the tactical gameplay makes you yearn for years gone by, the dialogue is sharp, the characters are funny, mages are overpowered and thus it's hard to play as a warrior, the difficulty is hella inconsistent but normal is generally too hard and easy too easy. Overall, modern day classic.

Mass Effect 2 - It's a bioware game, nuff said. Fairly rpg lite though, while Dragon Age reminds people of Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect is as rpg as Jade Empire. Still lots of fun though. One thing to note, this game contains tiny text so those of you who don't have a HD TV will have to play the game sitting a foot infront of it (like me :( )

Upcoming must have games:

Alpha Protocol, genre breaking rpg from legendary developers Obsidian (Black Isle). Not only does it take rpgs away from the standard fantasy/sci - fi settings, it has a dialogue system similar to mass effect but ou have limited time to make your responses. This means you have to listen to your instinct a little, It also means you can't use the dialogue screen as an in-game pause and get up to make a sandwich. Also spies are just totally cool.

Tales of Vesperia will be a must have game on the PS3 if its ever released. The 360 version was by far the best jrpg of this generation and the PS3 has had so much more content added to it it's almost a different game.

And that's about it. I've found it a fairly 'meh' generation so far. One thing has become clear, jrpgs are dying slowly and painfully and western rpgs (with Bioware getting into the swing of things, Obsidian looking like it's finding it's old groove, Blizzard rejoinig the party with Diablo 3 and Bethesda dominating sandbox rpgs) looking unstoppable.

Return to “Games & Computing”