Eternal Sonata

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Eternal Sonata

Post by ainsoph9 »

So, yesterday, I picked up Eternal Sonata for the 360. I have played about 6 hours already; the game is supposed to be about 30-40 hours. I must say that it is a lot of fun. It is unique in quite a few ways for an RPG. Has anyone else played this game? I must say that it is definitely worth playing at least once, especially since the Japanese voice of Polka, the main female lead, is Hirano Aya, Haruhi's Japanese voice.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Re: Eternal Sonata

Post by AuraTwilight »

I gave this game top score. Greatness incarnate, IMO.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

You can choose which language of voice? Or are you playing the Japanese version?
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I heard the game was extremely short so I was waiting for it to drop in price. :? The demo was amazing though.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I am playing the English version, but you can choose the language for the sound. You can also choose whether or not you would like to play with subtitles. I prefer to play it with the Japanese voices with subtitles because that was the original language. As far as I can tell, the translation is ok, but it is definitely not the best. Just by listening to the Japanese, I have found that the Japanese sometimes is a little more pointed and makes me laugh a bit more than if I was to just read/listen to the English.

As for the price, I got my copy from a store called Meijer. They are a chain of stores in the Midwest part of the United States. Interestingly enough, the copy was marked $59.99, but I got it for a little over $40. I do not know what happened, but I'll take it.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

The ending did kinda suck though, but it made up for letting you beat the crap out of a
Spoiler! :
famous historic musical composer
as the final boss.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, I saw that kind of by accident at gamefaqs.com. Something about that is wrong.
Spoiler! :
Chopin's life sucked in many ways. Chopin is one of those composers who was dealt a pile of crap. When I read that he was the final boss, I kind of was a little peeved off because that seems to pretty much villainize one of history's greatest composers. It would not surprise me that, at least according to this game, his defeat as the final boss is what made him finally die in "real life."
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I wish more games did that. Let you choose between languages.

Then again, I could just wish people weren't so afraid of each other's culture... but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I think that the number of games that let you choose between languages is increasing, but it is just happening at a rate the sloths can surpass. Also, I agree that more cohesiveness is necessary between cultures. As is, I think people like to preach multiculturalism and how good it is, but I do not think that they truly understand what it means what it is to go outside of your comfort zone. Not only that, I think that it will be even longer until people look at actually understanding, accepting (not tolerating), and adopting other people's cultures on a mass scale. It is happening somewhat, but it is not like watching some pop band gain worldwide recognition: over night.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

ainsoph9 wrote:Yeah, I saw that kind of by accident at gamefaqs.com. Something about that is wrong.
Spoiler! :
Chopin's life sucked in many ways. Chopin is one of those composers who was dealt a pile of crap. When I read that he was the final boss, I kind of was a little peeved off because that seems to pretty much villainize one of history's greatest composers. It would not surprise me that, at least according to this game, his defeat as the final boss is what made him finally die in "real life."
Spoiler! :
Don't judge until you play that far into the game. He's not being villainized, he ASKS the party to defeat him, because if he isn't, he can't peacefully go on to the afterlife, and he'll stick around and haunt the place as a malevolent ghoul, and he cares about his friends too much to do that to them.
Dyn0m1te
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Dyn0m1te »

I wasn't too impressed with the demo back in the day. The Music was the only thing that stood out... reminded me of Shining Force 3.
... but I'll give it a try when it get to $20-$30.

Return to “Games & Computing”