The Big List of Anime

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Up to episode 10 of Futakoi Alternative, and I have to say the emotional build-up is on par with AIR. Ufotable definitely did a great job planning out this series, with minor details that seem pointless at first glance, but have a much bigger purpose behind them. For instance, I thought Sara was jealous at Rentarou's fake marriage, only to discover the truth behind it a few episodes later.

What really pained me was the rain scene (the birthday episode), and the episode that followed right after that. I loved the "we are three" concept, and ever since the "fake wedding" episode, I've been curious to know what would happen at their 16 birthday. The revelation was stunning to say the least.

I'm going to finish up Futakoi Alternative in a few more days, but from what I've seen, this series is definitely a winner. I'd probably rank this higher than Kanon 2006, and up there with AIR as one of the best drama/romance anime ever.
/me claws out throat and dies
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I almost agree HC. Until I finish Kanon 2006 I won't be able to tell which one I loved more. Futakoi Alt. was amazing to say the least.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

I seem to be stumbling upon various shockers today. First, it was the Futakoi Alt birthday shocker, now it's the
Spoiler! :
Kanon shocker, where Nayuki's mum got hit by a car.
I'm loving both series' badly @.@
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Put Kanon outside the spoile so people know what anime your spoiling. :P
Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

I've only read the first 10 pages of this thread and the last, so forgive me if this is rehash.

I've been watching Nodame Contabile and enjoying it immensely. It seems to be rather popular, so I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention hereabouts. Very funny, holds up to rewatching, has interesting characters with interesting interactions and character development. Plus there's some education on music appreciation woven in. Last I checked, it was fansubbed up to episode 6. Did I mention that it was very funny?

Nutcase
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

I'll get around to it, just give me a month or so to finish my other shows.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Yeah nutcase, what Ben said. I'm overwhelmed with stuff to watch already. Write up an official review of it for us though when it finishes. Any idea how many Eps it will be?
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Anidb says it'll be 23 episodes.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Just finished Futakoi Alternative, not sure what to think about the ending. The mutant squid thing seemed too much like a Deus Ex Machina to me. But aside from that, I'd have to say that Futakoi alternative is definitely one of the best drama anime out there. It's as good as AIR 8)

Now all I need is for Kanon to finish its run and compare the two...
Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

Okay, I'll do a provisional "review" of Nodame following the format. But first, I want to thank Umiman for directing my attention to NHK ni Youkoso (back on page 3). I agree, this is a "must watch" for any devoted Haruhist.
___

Name: Nodame Contabile

Warning: This anime is not complete. Out of 23 episodes planned, 8 have aired in Japan and 6 have been fansubbed. Unless another went up today. Fingers drumming...looking at my watch...

Genre: Romantic college comedy

Rating: 8.5/10

Summary (adapted from the Wikipedia)

:Shin'ichi Chiaki is the top piano student at his university and an excellent violinist, but dreams of someday being a conductor. He has the raw material of talent, arrogance and charisma, but it's not that simple. At a crisis point with his neuroses obstructing his ambitions, he meets Nodame, or Megumi Noda. Nodame is a free — and filthy (messy) — spirit who reminds Chiaki that music can be fun and what drew him to be a conductor in the first place. In learning how to deal with Nodame, Chiaki learns how to deal with others.

Drawn together in a turbulent relationship, Chiaki's perfectionism and Nodame's untamed nature end up completing each other. As the story progresses, they mature as individuals, as musicians and as a couple.

Thoughts:

Out of the gate, this anime is seriously funny. I've watched the first two episodes at least five times, and they are still hilarious.

The main characters are well conceived and engaging, on a level that compares with, say, Honey and Clover. The music and the incidental education on music appreciation (and team leadership) is good. The plot and character development are good. The character design is good. The voice actors are good.

Insofar as this show has a weak spot, it would be in the animation, which sometimes seems a bit thin. Budget constraints, not capability. There are high points in the animation quality along with the thin spots. The comedy at moments tests my somewhat low tolerance for slapstick - but taking a broad view, this is like a bit of char on a generally very nice steak, i.e. the nature of the beast when cooked like that.

The heart of this anime is in relationships between people around a shared endeavor. If you love SHnY, it's hard to imagine that you might not at least very much like this show too.

Nutcase
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Bartender

Impressions:
There's really no reason why I should give a synopsis for this. The synopsii given for this show really doesn't give a good idea about what it is really about. Sort of like the synopsii of SHnY.

Nevertheless, it is worth watching. There are many nice scenes which may draw tears. Be warned though, if you are one of those that hates those corny anime scenes where a certain object or skill (i.e: cooking) can work super duper miracles, this really isn't for you.

I do have a complaint. The series on a whole lacked direction and this was plainly obvious with the ending, or lack thereof. There was no point to the show, no central theme to bind everything together. In the end, all he did was help some people. That's it.

The art direction isn't great, but it isn't bad either. Also, the storytelling is very nice with the transitions between characters.

Anyway, it is worth a watch. Just keep in mind that this series is actually a secret propaganda plan made by the Bartender's Union of Japan to either: Lure more customers into bars; or make more people into bartenders. Trust me, there's no way you can watch the last episode without thinking of this.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Inukami
This anime is:
- funny as hell
- has a super awesome "combined-beam-of-death" scene in the intro
- fragging disgusting
- pretty in art

This anime is not:
- perfect in the VA department
- intelligent
- meant to be taken seriously
- sensible

Addition:
1. This anime has an all-star cast of VA's. Including... THE VA FOR CELL DOING HIS EVIL TALK!!!! <3 <3 <3 (Cell and that crazy scientist from FMP are two of my favorite anime villians)
2. It gets better and stupider.
Last edited by Umiman on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I like that description. 8) Seeking a magical hobo as we speak.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Mushishi

Plot
It's about super powerful fungi of God. No, seriously! The premise might sound stupid but it works really well.

Review

I'm sure a lot of you have already watched this series, as it's quite popular, but really, if you haven't: You really should take a look at this one.

Although, I don't really recommend this for the younger members of the audience (There's no violence or sex that I know of) merely because they probably won't be able to understand the themes each episode discusses.

This one is meant to be taken seriously and you would watch it as you would read heavy literature. There is a lot to take in and those inexperienced in dealing with symbolism-heavy literature would only find themselves disliking this.

However, the art is really beautiful and every scene looks like it was painted by watercolour. The music isn't exactly outstanding, but it isn't shabby either. The characters are very well developed, though you're not going to find your dumbass, half-witted shounen hero or half-aware, clumsy, going-to-save-the-world heroine. Instead, you're going to find deep, melancholic characters (all the girls seem the same though.)

If I were to compare this to other media... it would be something along the lines of Lone Wolf and Cub, works out of Hemingway's mind, or possibly Salad Days in terms of storytelling.

Return to “Animes”