The Big List of Anime

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Noproblem
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: The Big List of Anime

Post by Noproblem »

Name:Shijō Saikyō no Deshi Kenichi (History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi)

Genre: Martial arts, Comedy, Romance

Rating: 9/10

Summary:
The story focuses on Kenichi Shirahama, an average 15-year-old weakling, whose life is upended with the appearance of the naive, beautiful, and strong transfer student, Miu Fūrinji. After Kenichi witnesses Miu's skills in martial arts, he joins the Ryōzanpaku dojo, a gathering place of those who are truly strong, which coincidentally also happens to be Miu's home. After beating a karate student in a match, he is soon targeted by all the delinquents in the school. Since then, Kenichi's daily routine is divided between his hellish training with the six masters of Ryōzanpaku, and his fights against the members of Ragnarok, a gang who views him as either a possible ally or an impending threat to their plans.

Thoughts:
not much to say really, great series, nice humor and loads of golden one liners. the characteres are really well made, espcially the martial arts masters from dojo that kenichi trains at. deffently worth spending some time watching, although they could have made some more out of the ending, as it, in my oppinion leaves a few open ends, which they deffently could have ended better. but all in all, good series, good humor, the animation is generally pretty good.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Haha I agree with you completely. I'm hoping the manga is a bit better, but the anime was great nonetheless. APA APA APACHAI!
Noproblem
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Noproblem »

i've looked abit on the manga actually, and as far as i've seen so far, the anime seems to follow the manga pretty close, execpt for some changes here and there, like always
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Oh wow, it's been almost a year since I've seen this.

Rizelmine
7.5/10
Genres: Comedy, Romance, Ecchi, School life, SciFi, Harem (I guess)

Summary: Boy falls for older chick. Older chick rejects him. Boy is sad. Boy goes home to see a 12-year-old loli claiming to be his wife throwing herself at him. Boy gets pissed and sends loli out the window. Loli is overjoyed.

Thoughts: I admit it. Rizelmine is as cliche as the "normal kid pilots a giant robot" thing. But Rizel is funny, VERY ecchi, cute (a bit), and somewhat original. *thumbs up for the originality*
Noproblem
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Noproblem »

just saw the last episode of Rental Magica today, and i'd say that it was a nice ending, although i think it's a shame that series isn't abit longer, as the universe the story is set in holds alot of possibilities in my oppion, still 10/10 even now!
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Noproblem wrote:just saw the last episode of Rental Magica today, and i'd say that it was a nice ending, although i think it's a shame that series isn't abit longer, as the universe the story is set in holds alot of possibilities in my oppion, still 10/10 even now!
Alright alright, I'll watch it. I'm on Ep4 now anyways. :P
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Noproblem wrote:just saw the last episode of Rental Magica today, and i'd say that it was a nice ending, although i think it's a shame that series isn't abit longer, as the universe the story is set in holds alot of possibilities in my oppion, still 10/10 even now!
The ending and the dragon were completely disappointing, just like what I expected it would be. :roll:

Hell, the dog fight at the start was more exciting than the final fight.
Spoiler! :
Rental Magica
6/10
Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural

Summary: Due to his father's disappearance, Itsuki Iba has to take over the family business: a magician dispatch service called 'Astral'. Astral basically employ countless magicians and other supernatural beings in order to send them out to help those who need magical assistance. As a leader, Itsuki now has to be tough, commanding, and reliable, but there's one problem, he's a coward. Also, in order to run a successful business, he has to connect with his employees, which is more difficult than it seems due to his personality and lack of magical ability. But not only does he have to deal with his own employees, he also has to deal with those who threaten the family business.

Thoughts: Rental Magica had an interesting start and it did well to build up on it. But the problem was that the producers lacked time, budget and well, an actual story. Sure, they did some neat things that I haven't seen in a while but the episodes were way too episodic. It would have been fine if the episodes led to the main plot but it didn't. And clearly, the best episodes were the ones that stretched to more than one episodes long (anyone else liked the Lapis and Johan acrs best?) Oh, and a real villain instead of the misguided kid we see all the time would have done wonders. Now, don't get me started the the degrading quality of the fight scenes.
Last edited by ben1234 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

I have to agree with ainsoph. Though the animation and music was good, the storyline was totally lame for the most part. Not to mention the constant screaming of SHACHOU.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I still refuse to watch it. If ben says the dog fight in the first episode was good compared to the final fight, then I'll just be wasting time. Plus, I hate wimpy male leads.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Hopefully, no one has covered this one yet.

Master Keaton:
ANN:
Taichi Keaton is a man of many talents: father, historian, frequent traveler, negotiator, archaeologist, former survival instructor, and all while working as an insurance investigator for Lloyd's of London. While his methods may seem a bit unorthodox, he gets the job done when needed, but not without a little something to learn or teach in the process. Through all of his adventures, some people call him a quack. Those who know him well call him a master of life...
Impressions:
As with the change in age groups, it seems I outgrew shounen and shoujo somewhere in the past few years. Since this show is directly marketed for middle-aged men (strangely... I can't really see that as a viable market), it seems to fit my line of entertainment more. Anyway, it's really good. The main character is... dunno. 50? Doesn't look a day over 40 though. He also resembles the kinda guy you find as a side character in other shows. The guy is pretty incredible though, being a former SAS agent.

I've only seen a few episodes thus far, but it really is quite good. It's more about story and character than anything else. All the humour is quite indirect and really isn't for people without a taste in philosophy and self-reflection. People looking for sappy love stories, look elsewhere. People looking for high-intensity shootouts and kung-fu fights, look elsewhere. People looking for overly voluptuous women, look elsewhere. In essence, if you like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Mushishi, 20th Century Boys, Sanctuary, Monster and other such items, you'll like this show. Too bad that there probably won't be a giant orbital cannon... or will there?
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Noproblem
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Noproblem »

DId i just hear someone mention giant orbital cannons?!
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Episode 20 of Master Keaton... The voice of Cell... Norio Wakamoto...

Obligatory: What isn't he in!?
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Okay, I'm changing my stance on Master Keaton from "nice show" to "WATCH THIS NOW".

WATCH THIS NOW. Out of all the episodes I've watched so far (3/4ths of the series) I have only been able to predict ONE episode! ONE!!! This series is incredible. Keaton is like Superman except more realistic. The storylines are unlike anything I've ever seen before. Seriously, have you ever watched anything about how to subdue a hunter killer army dog? How about an assassin who uses everyday items such as twigs and forks to kill? Or a Scottish noble who fought for whiskey and was regarded as a tengu?

EDIT: I also noticed Akio Otsuka (voice of Snake and Batou) voicing a Muslim, Kurdish rebel.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I've got my sights set on Master Keaton now. I'll probably watch/read it while I'm back home and have some free time. Umi, if you haven't read Jiraishin yet, I suggest you go read it. A nice gritty detective manga aimed at more mature audiences and has an awesome main character. I read the Master Keaton synopsis and it reminded me so much of it, but sounds a bit more toned down in the ruthlessness section. I'll give it a go. 8)
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Haha, that's kinda funny.I did actually reread Jiraishin a few days back since I felt nostalgic. Yeah, that's another good one. Superhero characters like those are awesome. You'll like Master Keaton if you like Jiraishin. I also recommend this manga about a gatekeeper of hell... can't remember the name though... Hmm... There's this girl who tells people they have three choices when they die suddenly: 1) accept their death and be reincarnated. 2) kill someone and suffer forever in hell. 3) live on as a ghost forever in the world.

Maybe Ben can tell us what the name is.

Mmm... The later episodes of Master Keaton are very, very nice. A lot of them are quite emotional too, in a manly sort of way. For example, if you watch Band of Brothers; that kind of emotional.

Return to “Animes”